Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Lev Tahor - Compound Raided, Children Taken
1  2  Next

treestump

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:15 am
Some good news in a terrible situation...

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

WhatFor

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:30 am
Omg... Is anyone monitoring what's happening to these children now? Poor babies.... If they haven't been through enough, the Guatemalan government and Justice system is far from a paragon of human rights...I hope they get placed with relatives immediately... Are they nationals of Canada or Israel? (Forgot their history...) maybe we can petition for their removal to families in their home country?

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:51 am
treestump wrote:
Some good news in a terrible situation...

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

How is this good news? You think the Guatamelan foster care system has the ability to deal with these multiply traumatized children? For these kids, who were warned that all "non jews" are evil, that even vegetables are traif, this is going to be a terribly frightening experience. And I doubt they're going to the best possible foster care situation, with highly trained therapists etc.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:52 am
Sadly, the foster system isn't always the best answer, anywhere, for kids from abusive homes.

Those poor kids.

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:53 am
So sad that such sickness exists, and that people fall into these cults.

I hope the kids were placed with normal Jewish families.

NovelConcept

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 10:54 am
I know of someone whose daughter joined the cult. Very sad. I wish the children would be sent to this relative. She would raise them properly.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 11:06 am
Of course it will be a traumatic adjustment, but they need to get un-brainwashed if they ever want to have a chance at having a normal life.

IMHO, any step away from these crazies is a step in the right direction.

debsey

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 11:52 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Of course it will be a traumatic adjustment, but they need to get un-brainwashed if they ever want to have a chance at having a normal life.

IMHO, any step away from these crazies is a step in the right direction.
do you really think the Guatemalan authorities are capable of doing that? This whole story makes me sick at heart. Those poor children.

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 12:21 pm
debsey wrote:
do you really think the Guatemalan authorities are capable of doing that? This whole story makes me sick at heart. Those poor children.

Yes. I don't think the Guatemalan authorities are child abusers like the cult leaders are. In addition, perhaps they may get placed back in Canadian authority, where they come from originally.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 1:41 pm
Hashem should watch over the children and put them in the hands of loving Jewish people who can help them, whomever that may be, others or parents, but away from cult life.

kelsorino

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:09 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
I know of someone whose daughter joined the cult. Very sad. I wish the children would be sent to this relative. She would raise them properly.

Is there someone she can contact and let them know she would like the children?
That would be such a happy ending.

allcuteonesrtak

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:54 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Hashem should watch over the children and put them in the hands of loving Jewish people who can help them, whomever that may be, others or parents, but away from cult life.

exactly my thoughts!

I couldnt have put it better!

icebreaker

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:17 pm
Reminds me of the FLDS kids being returned even though it's clear they are being brainwashed and abused. I hope these children get the help they need.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:19 pm
In all honesty I am sufficiently worried about the Child Protection and Welfare in Guatemala. We had a wonderful cleaning woman for 4 years from Guatemala and she told me about the terrible crime there and how unsafe and unstable things are. I hope the authorities have seized the children so that they can extradite them and send them to loving capable family members outside of the cult.
(Our cleaning woman was here with her husband for 4 years, saving and sending money back home for construction that her brothers were doing on her house, and their own house, which were attached. All that time her 2 young sons were back in Guatemala with her sister. We were quite close and she was part of the family. She showed me constant pics of the construction phases while she was here and it really came out beautiful. We video chatted when she was back home in Guatemala and she showed me around her home then and I "met" her sons.)
Btw, while she was in our home a number of years ago, she showed me a Guatemalan article about the people of Lev Tahor and she found it all very strange and sad.
Basically my point is that she finally had her own home but it was surrounded with crime. The people are quite poor and is hard to get by there. There aren't many jobs. (FYI, most of the illegal workers from the Agristar raid years ago were from Guatemala. They came to Iowa for jobs.)
I don't know what the group homes and foster homes are like in Guatemala. I can't imagine that they are especially safe, particularly for foreigners Sad

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:25 pm
You're right, ra_mom, about the crime rate in Guatemala. It's not a safe country and I worried about those kids being there in the first place. Still, even an incompetent child services organization is better than the terrible abuse they were dealing with at the hands of the cult.

Also, I'm guessing they'd be returned to Canada.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:28 pm
I too really hope that they will be returned to Canada Maya.

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:31 pm
I wish there would be religious leaders who give a cr*p about this, and who would be willing to get involved in the placement of the children.
Sadly, no one cared then and probably no one cares now.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:32 pm
Maya wrote:
I wish there would be religious leaders who give a cr*p about this, and who would be willing to get involved in the placement of the children.
Sadly, no one cared then and probably no one cares now.

Me too Crying

Deep

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:44 pm
People definitely do care. I know of several Montreal askanim who have been moser nefesh to help those who wanted to leave. The "defectors" have been supported emotionally and financially by the local heimishe community.(One is actively embroiled in a custody battle with his Lev Tahor wife. His children are thriving in foster care). When the Quebec CPS was on their case, many hoped that the cult would be dissolved and the families rehabilitated. Unfortunately ,they evaded the CPS by escaping to Ontario and then Guatemala. From seeing the young adults who left struggle to transition to normalcy, it is clear that they are also victims. Ideally, the families should remain united and rehabilitated as a whole.

Maya

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:49 pm
Deep wrote:
People definitely do care. I know of several Montreal askanim who have been moser nefesh to help those who wanted to leave. The "defectors" have been supported emotionally and financially by the local heimishe community.(One is actively embroiled in a custody battle with his Lev Tahor wife. His children are thriving in foster care). When the Quebec CPS was on their case, many hoped that the cult would be dissolved and the families rehabilitated. Unfortunately ,they evaded the CPS by escaping to Ontario and then Guatemala. From seeing the young adults who left struggle to transition to normalcy, it is clear that they are also victims. Ideally, the families should remain united and rehabilitated as a whole.

I agree that the young parents are victims as well, and fully agree with your last sentence.

I also hope that those who have tried to help continue to do so now. May those askanim be blessed. Unfortunately, that doesn't contradict my claim about the religious leaders in general, who can find the time to preach against countless of irrelevant issues, yet won't say anything about this or do anything to help.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics