Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Are Pro Ranges worth it?

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:56 pm
I'm converting from electric smooth cook top (which I hate) to a gas range, and I'm in love with the look of the pro ranges. However, since they're super expensive, I'm wondering if they're really worthwhile.
I need the high heat to sear food, or boil water only about once or twice a week. Mostly I need regular heat plus a good oven.
So for regular heat and an oven, is a pro range worthwhile? Does the oven work so much better than a 800-1,000 regular gas oven? Do the burners cook so much faster and more evenly on medium heat, than a standard gas stove?
Btw, I never use the simmer, so I don't care that they can go super low.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:11 pm
Wanted to add, that I do a lot of Sauteeing of veggies, carmelizing onions etc, which I don't find my electric cook top good for. Do I need a pro range for that, or is regular gas good too?
My current oven heats up slowly and erratically and cooks unevenly.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 7:54 pm
Well I can't answer if they're worth it - but I can say that in the vast majority of home kitchens, professional stoves are there just for the great look.

a standard gas stove on the high setting will give you more than adequate hear for searing and sautéing, if you're not afraid to really use it

The only appliance that I think really makes a difference if you get professional grade is a dishwasher.

Amarante

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 11:32 pm
You don't need a super expensive stove to produce delicious food let alone to boil water.

You should research features in a stove that are worthwhile for the good home cook. The ideal combination is a gas range and electric oven. There are gas burners that are easier to clean. True convection oven is functional and there are concealed heating elements in an oven that make it easier to keep clean.

Some stoves have two ovens which can be useful.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:34 am
I'm happy to spend the money if it will make my life easier, cooking quicker etc. (Like I buy good knives and cookware bec they cost more but cut down on prep time).
But my question is if a pro gas cook top will cook faster or more evenly than standard gas.
The electric oven I have now is very erratic and takes very long to bake anything.
The electric cook top also can take 25 minutes to boil water for pasta.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:44 am
I think what I (and others posted) is that you don't need the "pro" looking stoves to cook well.

There are excellent stoves for consumers in the $1000 to $2500 range.

You are describing a stove that is terrible and basically should have been junked because it's non functional.

If you like the look of an Aga, Viking or Wolf or whatever and can afford it, go for it but buying one will not enhance your cooking ability. These stoves are not generally bought because they are necessary but because they are going into extremely expensive homes and so they are expected to be there in much the same way as a SubZero refrigerator is expected.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:53 am
Yeah, that's what I figured. Boo hoo I love how they look, but not going to spend the money on it just for show.
Any ideas on a great gas range with a good Convection oven?
(The one that's here prob was high end when it was installed well over a decade ago. But as u pointed out, it's really just junk by now)

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 10:03 am
I own 2 semi-pro BlueStar gas ranges.

Where my ranges really make a difference is for stir-frying. The high BTUs and the way woks fit into the burner grates — the star burner pattern is specific to BlueStar — makes for really high heat with excellent heat distribution. The convection ovens are terrific for fried chicken and for broiling. But they have also needed their share of maintenance — replacing ignitors and glow plugs, replacing an oven door (factory defect) — and are not self-cleaning. And the exposed ignitors get wet when something boils over and then click annoyingly every time the stove is used.

Some semi-pro ranges are better than others. Many are more about looks than function.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 12:59 pm
Rubber ducky, I will definitely be getting sealed burners. I was looking at a Dacor 36 inch gas range with true Convection. , I liked the size, glide racks and it's a lot less than the thermador.
I never use a wok, if I stir fry (rarely) I use a pan.
I do sometimes sear cutlets or straps of beef, mostly it's to Sautee veggies, make soup, pasta, rice , fry eggs etc. And I do bake a lot so good Convection is very important.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen