Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Verbal tic???

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 4:59 pm
My son just turned 10. All of the sudden he's making theses soft little repetitive noises to himself every 3 seconds. I'm so worried. He has some mild learning disabilities and can be socially immature but for the most part has been a pretty normal kid. He's been making amazing strides in school. I thought the worst is behind us. Now this.
Anyone have experience with this? Who do I talk to? What can we do for this? Does it usually stop at some point? Help!!

chenvchesed

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 5:44 pm
Has he been sick lately? Maybe have him swabbed for strep throat.

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 6:08 pm
Are they cough-like? Allergies can be a culprit too. Also, see if you can keep track of when they happen more/less.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 7:12 pm
Not cough-like, but he is stuffy.

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 8:43 pm
Check into post nasal drip. It can produce a throat clearing, and a click throat sound. Maybe start him on a saline nasal spray, morning and night, to flush things out a bit. Or wait until the stuff in essence clears up and see if the sound goes away.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:11 pm
Sounds like a tic to me. Have him checked for PANDAS.

octopus

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:34 pm
I thought my son had a throat/gutteral tic thingamajiggy and freaked out about it. I went to so many doctors. Turns out it was allergies/post nasal drip. And it developed when he was 9! As soon as he was on the right meds, it 90% of it went away. It makes its reappearance when it is high allergy season.

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 13 2016, 9:39 pm
Also, be careful with steroid nasal sprays. Some can actually induce ticing in some people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics