Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds constantly itching
1  2  Next

smile12345

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:16 am
3 yr old ds is constantly itching and scratching himself. No visible signs of excema or anything, but he seems to be itching all over and he ends up wounding himself.

Any suggestions/recommendations on how to help with this would be much appreciated!

momX4

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:53 am
My dd had the same problem. Dr diagnosed her as having eczema, even though I saw nothing. Dr said her skin was very dry and told me to use a lotion that is "calming", it has an anti itch component. Bh that worked.

You should also make sure your son drinks enough water.

I would suggest you take your dc to the dr to rule out allergies or anything else first. The itching is a symptom, something is causing it.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:19 am
They call eczema "the itch that rashes."

It is the scratching that causes the rash.

But do not let anyone talk you into hydrocortisone! It is an addictive drug that damages the skin. They are just now discovering this, but most doctors haven't gotten the memo yet.

It is a drug that can only safely be used for 3-4 days max, every couple of months.

People are suffering from the damage of this drug. Most kids outgrow eczema IF they don't use cortisones.

Hatzlacha figuring things out!

smile12345

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:25 am
momX4 wrote:
My dd had the same problem. Dr diagnosed her as having eczema, even though I saw nothing. Dr said her skin was very dry and told me to use a lotion that is "calming", it has an anti itch component. Bh that worked.

You should also make sure your son drinks enough water.

I would suggest you take your dc to the dr to rule out allergies or anything else first. The itching is a symptom, something is causing it.

I always thought people with eczema had red blotches that made them itchy..

He was tested for allergies a while ago and doesn't seem he is allergic to anything.

What lotion did he recommend that you use?

smile12345

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:29 am
NovelConcept wrote:

But do not let anyone talk you into hydrocortisone! It is an addictive drug that damages the skin. They are just now discovering this, but most doctors haven't gotten the memo yet.

It is a drug that can only safely be used for 3-4 days max, every couple of months.

People are suffering from the damage of this drug. Most kids outgrow eczema IF they don't use cortisones.

We were prescribed hydrocortisone a while ago. I haven't used it recently, though more since I thought one shouldn't be using something steroid based for long term, not that it damages the skin. Do conservative (regular in contrast to homeopathic etc) doctors hold that it damages the skin? Any idea of an alternative that is now recommended?

Thanks for your help.

momsrus

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:34 am
NovelConcept wrote:

And what happens if they do use cortisone, they don't outgrow it?

Baloney

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:38 am
A systemic yeast overgrowth /infection can cause overall itchiness, (can be a factor in eczema too). Does he have history of yeast? (Antibiotics, diaper rashes, ear infections, sugar cravings....) Speak to your dr about that. He might benefit from an antifungal medicine and then loads of probiotics .

momX4

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:49 am
I use EUCERIN SKIN CALMING. If you find another brand that is labeled calming, then that should be ok also.
https://www.walgreens.com/stor.....oduct

anonymrs

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 10:04 am
NovelConcept wrote:

My daughter used hydrocortisone creams on and off for the first 3 years of her life. BH she has outgrown her eczema now, at age 5. Just saying....

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 10:58 am
do you use lotion after a bath ... sometimes it's the simple solutions that we miss

Miri7

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:24 pm
I have eczema and have found this to be helpful:

1) take shorter baths/showers and keep the water warmish rather than hot
2) immediately after showering (or washing hands) apply a nourishing cream. Colloidal oatmeal creams seem good for me. What I use regularly is Weleda's baby calming cream (it comes in a yellow tube). It does seem greasy at first but the body drinks it up.
3) keep fingernails VERY short.
4) If I have an itchy area, I try to pinch it rather than scratch. It satisfies the urge to scratch without irritating the skin. It doesn't need to be a hard pinch. A small pinch works.
5) I use an oatmeal and vegetable glycerin soap that doesn't have a lot of additives/irritants and doesn't dry the skin out. It's made by Sappho Hill.

These all make a big difference for me and don't involve steroid cream, which I do use when I have a big outbreak of rashes.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:36 pm
Try also using a free and clear detergent on laundry, and doing an extra rinse cycle to really make sure all the soap is off. Don't use downy or fabric softeners either

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:17 pm
momsrus wrote:
And what happens if they do use cortisone, they don't outgrow it?

Baloney

Actually, they DO outgrow it, but most people don't realize that the eczema is outgrown because something much worse takes its place. It's called Topical Steroid Addiction, and many people just think that their eczema is getting worse over time. Really, it's the skin being damaged by the cortisone.

The doctor that discovered this is Dr. Marvin Rappaport, the head of the allergy clinic at UCLA. He is certified by the American Board of Dermatology.

Any skin that turns from itchy eczema into bright red skin is topical steroid addiction.

You can think its baloney, but a lot of people around the world are now healing from the damage that cortisone has caused. It is painful, and a long recovery process.

Something you don't want your child to go through.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:20 pm
anonymrs wrote:
My daughter used hydrocortisone creams on and off for the first 3 years of her life. BH she has outgrown her eczema now, at age 5. Just saying....

You said the key words "on and off."

Sounds like you weren't using every day. Most people DO use it every day, like lotion.
That's when the problems occur.

Some people are also naturally more predisposed to steroid addiction, and begin red flaring more easily than others.

Most people with eczema DO outgrow it by four or five. If the rashes continue, they are usually rashes caused by cortisone, not eczema.

yogabird

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:23 pm
I've had a lot of mainstream doctors tell me that steroids will damage the skin if used long term because it thins the skin. They also said never to use it on the face for this same reason.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:26 pm
smile12345 wrote:
We were prescribed hydrocortisone a while ago. I haven't used it recently, though more since I thought one shouldn't be using something steroid based for long term, not that it damages the skin. Do conservative (regular in contrast to homeopathic etc) doctors hold that it damages the skin? Any idea of an alternative that is now recommended?

Thanks for your help.

Not sure if you noticed the other post, but the guy that discovered steroid addiction is actually a board certified dermatologist, located in Beverly Hills. He is one of the tops, and commonly used by all the stars.

Here's one pretty dramatic story of what corisone can cause. This baby had it worse than many, but BH once he kicked the steroids completely, he healed. Not everyone has it this bad, but note the color. This color is common of steroid addiction. Some people have this color on the hands, or face. It is not eczema. It is directly caused by cortisone.

The mother posts a lot of xtian stuff; just ignore it.

http://isaiahquinn.blogspot.co......html

As for alternatives, since I myself stopped using cortisone, I find that on bad days I Zyrtex helps a lot, though I try not to take it too often.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:28 pm
yogabird wrote:
I've had a lot of mainstream doctors tell me that steroids will damage the skin if used long term because it thins the skin. They also said never to use it on the face for this same reason.

Yup, yogabird.

If I had known how painful the drug reaction of coritisone is, I would never have started using it...

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:33 pm
He may be mineral deficient.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:16 pm
I forgot to mention one thing that I have found really helps, and I've made for others who have also given great feedback.

Instead of hydrocortisone, I made a cream that has two ingredients: coconut oil and zinc powder (the same stuff in diaper rash cream).

Melt a 1/2 cup coconut oil and mix in two teaspoons zinc. Refridgerate until firm and use on inflamed skin.

On very badly inflamed skin, it does sting for a minute or two, but a few minutes later, you drastically feel the itch subside. Mildly inflamed skin doesn't usually sting when applied.

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:53 pm
Check your detergents. It helped my kid....
Wash the clothes in vinegar to get rid of any dyes or residue (add vinegar instead of soap). Then use only dye and scent free... DH with eczema said the detergent switch helps him. DC wasn't diagnosed with eczema but was having an allergic reaction.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics