Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Ds constantly itching
Previous  1  2

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:22 pm
First, check the detergents, soap and shampoo. Then, you need to put your kid on a daily antihistamine like allegra. It's over the counter and will change their life.

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:25 am
NovelConcept wrote:
I forgot to mention one thing that I have found really helps, and I've made for others who have also given great feedback.

Instead of hydrocortisone, I made a cream that has two ingredients: coconut oil and zinc powder (the same stuff in diaper rash cream).

Melt a 1/2 cup coconut oil and mix in two teaspoons zinc. Refridgerate until firm and use on inflamed skin.

On very badly inflamed skin, it does sting for a minute or two, but a few minutes later, you drastically feel the itch subside. Mildly inflamed skin doesn't usually sting when applied.

Where can you buy these ingredients from in Israel?

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:26 am
Mimisinger wrote:
First, check the detergents, soap and shampoo. Then, you need to put your kid on a daily antihistamine like allegra. It's over the counter and will change their life.

Thanks, what ingredients should I check for?

What is anithistamine? What is it used for?

smile12345

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
He may be mineral deficient.

How do I know this? And what is he supposed to take to ensure he gets enough minerals?

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:48 am
smile12345 wrote:
Where can you buy these ingredients from in Israel?

I ordered zinc online from Amazon. Do they ship to Israel?

Here is what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/Spicy-W.....owder

As for coconut oil, it has become so common that I just buy it in my local grocery store. If your grocery doesn't carry it, I am sure that a health food store will. The company I use is called Grain Brain, but any company should work as long as it is 100% coconut oil.

Here are some coconut oils on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=n.....t+oil

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:56 am
smile12345 wrote:
Thanks, what ingredients should I check for?

What is anithistamine? What is it used for?

Histamine is the chemical that causes itchiness. When the body encounters something that it doesn't like, little things in the body called "IgE" jump on cells in the body called "mast cells" and cause them to implode, releasing these chemicals, and making a person itch. Sometimes its just an itch, sometimes it is also hives (itchy welts).

Antihistimines counteract the release of histamine, and decrease the itch. They can make a person very sleepy though, be warned. Benadryl is the most common OTC antihistamine, though allegra, as Mimi mentioned, or zyrtec, or other types can can be just as effective, but with less side effects.

I have, however, heard that people who use every day for long periods of time sometimes get hives for a few weeks after suddenly going off of antihistamines. I, personally, try to take Zyrtec only when really itchy. That can be 3-4 days at a time, especially now as my skin is healing from coritsone addiction.

All meds can have side affects, but antihistamines seem rather safe compared to the other options. I wouldn't hesitate to give an antihistamine to an itchy child, though I'd try to avoid using it every single day.

NovelConcept

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:02 am
BTW, Mimi mentioned detergents. I had a story with Xtra detergent, the detergent being sold for very cheap here in America.

After I had a baby, my husband switched from Tide to the cheaper Xtra, and I didn't know it. Soon I started scratching myself to pieces, then my husband started, then my oldest. And my baby was one piece of rash!

Finally, I found out he had changed and I had to rewash EVERY SINGLE THING IN MY HOUSE. If I even touched a towel for one second, I would itch terribly.

That company uses harsh chemicals that bothered us terribly.

In fact, at my allergists office, I noticed a baby covered in eczema and gently asked the mother if she used extra detergent, because I could see the areas that had rash were the typical places that a baby's body comes into contact with linen, and she said yes. Then she realized that the kid's rashes only started after using that detergent!

Nowadays I can only use All Free and Clear; even the smell of other detergents bothers me, certainly the touch.

I have heard that Shaklee is even better, but haven't tried it.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics