Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Effects of Ruchie Freier's Civil Court Judge big win
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Will Ruchie Freier's win for Civil Court Judge start a new trend among Heimish women?
Yes, going forward more Heimish women will go for Medical and Law degrees, etc  
 29%  [ 32 ]
No, numbers of highly educated Heimish women will stay the same.  
 70%  [ 77 ]
Total Votes : 109

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:25 pm
Maya wrote:
Yes, that's true for the average person in the world. Not so much in Chassidish society. People who are successful in areas that are frowned upon, especially women, are often labeled as a little crazy. After all, we don't want our young girls to learn from that, so we have to find some sort of off-putting label for those who defied the community standards.

I don't think she's looked down upon by people. She still looks like your typical bp chassidisha woman. Had she changed her dress code, she would probably be frowned upon.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:35 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think she's looked down upon by people. She still looks like your typical bp chassidisha woman. Had she changed her dress code, she would probably be frowned upon.

Perhaps, but I doubt that many mothers are encouraging their daughters now to become lawyers because Ruchy Freier did so and continued to be Chassidish. Also, I didn't necessarily mean looked down upon; people can admire others even if they're a little weird, and still not want their children to see them as role models.

Last edited by Maya on Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

LittleDucky

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:41 pm
happybeingamom wrote:
There is business too

"She is like a merchant's ships; from afar she brings her sustenance "

"She considers a field and buys it; from the fruit of her handiwork she plants a vineyard."

"Garments she makes and sells, and she delivers a belt to the peddler. "

Professions and earning a living are different in 2016 so obviously that is not what is written there.

But nothing should change! We should only look towards the 1600s as ideal society!

Nothing should change ever! Unless it suits the Rebbes.
/sarcasm

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:54 pm
amother wrote:
A) I do not think this will have any affect in the future, since most will look at it in a way of "well, she's different, and so she can do it, but neh, I'm not even aiming there...."
B) she is a very controversial figure in her own community.
C) her oldest is just about newly married, and had plenty of issues herself - not the typical boro park role model of a family if you ask most......
so no, I'm gald for her that she won, I'm upset that my 12 yr. old daughter asked me "ma, it's cute that this typical BP lady just went and won office one nice morning", that is not the image of an eishes chayil that I want her to have

You obviously don't know Ruchie personally based on point C. She has 4 children married and the first three are boys. You have plenty of issues yourself if you're writing (untrue) inappropriate personal information about others on a public forum.

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 3:57 pm
Mevater wrote:
Will many more Heimish women get Medical and Law degrees, after this historical first?

Will this have any effect going forward, on how Heimish schools look at highly educated women, and encourage this rather than discourage?

Mrs Freier must have gotten Chassidishe support and vote if she ran and won in BP.

How did the big Rebbes, Satmar included, explain endorsing her, if they look down at higher education for women? Isnt part of the reason that Satmar offers their students minimal secular education, to keep them sheltered and away from the secular world, as much as possible?

Will things change or is she viewed as some exception, and others will still be discouraged from getting Medical and Law degrees?

Will women be empowered and benefit in some way by her win?

Mr Avigdor got about half as many votes as Mrs Freier. How did that happen in the frum community, with Mr Avigdor having name recognition for many years, and less potential issues in the frum community, when electing a male?

Thoughts?

I never heard of Mr. Avigdor until last week.
AFAIK neither did most people in BP.

Mevater

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:01 pm
She has four married kids? Does anyone know if any of her kids went/go to college?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:08 pm
Maya wrote:
Perhaps, but I doubt that many mothers are encouraging their daughters now to become lawyers because Ruchy Freier did so and continued to be Chassidish. Also, I didn't necessarily mean looked down upon; people can admire others even if they're a little weird, and still not want their children to see them as role models.

I don't think people will encourage their kids to become lawyers because of her. Just saying people are not saying she's crazy and that's why she's were she is today.

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:12 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think people will encourage their kids to become lawyers because of her. Just saying people are not saying she's crazy and that's why she's were she is today.

The comment about applying off-putting labels wasn't specifically about her, just people like that in general.

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:14 pm
Mevater wrote:
She has four married kids? Does anyone know if any of her kids went/go to college?

As far as I know, no. But why does that matter? Do your children do everything you do?

Maya

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:18 pm
amother wrote:
As far as I know, no. But why does that matter? Do your children do everything you do?

I think it's relevant, especially to the premise of this thread, which asks whether her win will now courage others to attend college.

It wouldn't be ironclad proof, but it would be interesting to see if college has been encouraged or discouraged for her own children.

Mevater

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 6:22 pm
amother wrote:

True.

Im just curious if she communicates her desire for advanced degrees to her kids, enough that theyre doing the same, or if its just something she did, and is not that important to her to see her children and grandchildren get advanced degrees.

If her children and grandchildren getting advanced degrees, was very important to her and she communicated that to her kids, probably at least one of the four marrieds would be getting an advanced degree. just my two cents. It seems its not that important to her to see her children get advanced degrees, no matter the benefits.

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:32 pm
Mevater wrote:
True.

Im just curious if she communicates her desire for advanced degrees to her kids, enough that theyre doing the same, or if its just something she did, and is not that important to her to see her children and grandchildren get advanced degrees.

If her children and grandchildren getting advanced degrees, was very important to her and she communicated that to her kids, probably at least one of the four marrieds would be getting an advanced degree. just my two cents. It seems its not that important to her to see her children get advanced degrees, no matter the benefits.

I find it pretty humorous the way people are making assumptions here.

sourstix

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:41 pm
personally I dont think its good for her to get that position. I know her and her work. she is not good for this. even as a lawyer she is mediocre. I have been involved with her being a lawyer. and she is not good. way not good. she should not be a lawyer or a judge. whatever that position is. I dont know who encouraged her to do the work she does. but no no no. I dont think she is a good candidate. anyone who knows her professionally in the law field would know what I mean.

though I think her idea as ezras nashim was a great idea. so I do give her credit for that. she is definitely a go getter. but she doesnt realize she is in the wrong field.

Mevater

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 7:54 pm
sourstix wrote:
personally I dont think its good for her to get that position. I know her and her work. she is not good for this. even as a lawyer she is mediocre. I have been involved with her being a lawyer. and she is not good. way not good. she should not be a lawyer or a judge. whatever that position is. I dont know who encouraged her to do the work she does. but no no no. I dont think she is a good candidate. anyone who knows her professionally in the law field would know what I mean.

though I think her idea as ezras nashim was a great idea. so I do give her credit for that. she is definitely a go getter. but she doesnt realize she is in the wrong field.

One stupid mistake and she'll make headlines. If shes not smart, and not doing a good job, we'll know about it pretty quickly. Judges dont get away with anything too long.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:07 pm
Mevater wrote:
Just Satmar's tolerance of this speaks volumes to me. How will the Satmar girls high school teachers explain their endorsing her to high school girls who might want to get law degrees???

Will they say:

"Its absolutely ASSUR, no ands ifs or buts, for a Heimishe woman to get an advanced degree, like in law or medicine, and shes the lowest of the low for getting a degree, impure and spoiled by secularism, after years of sitting learning studying and sharing ideas among VILE and IMMORAL men and women of all nationalities, etc.

We just endorsed her for what we can gain from her!"

Pretty funny.

Some students are going to question this.

She is a Bais Yakov graduate so her career is irrelevant when it comes to Satmar. All Satmar has to do is say that she is not a real chasidishe girl since she graduated from Bais Yakov and is therefore not a role model for Satmar girls. So they get to have their cake and eat it too so to speak as they will benefit from her being a judge while dismissing her at the same time for not being a real chasidishe/Satmar woman.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:08 pm
amother wrote:
She is a Bais Yakov graduate so her career is irrelevant when it comes to Satmar. All Satmar has to do is say that she is not a real chasidishe girl since she graduated from Bais Yakov and is therefore not a role model for Satmar girls. So they get to have their cake and eat it too so to speak as they will benefit from her being a judge while dismissing her at the same time for not being a real chasidishe/Satmar woman.

Well either way, she's not Satmar, she's Bobov. That should be enough for them to say that she's "nisht fin inzere."

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:09 pm
amother wrote:

As a former Satmar teacher, I know I would probably never bring up the subject in the first place.
And none of the students would bother asking.

There are indeed odd assumptions and speculations in this thread.

sourstix

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 8:15 pm
to mint amother- no I am not satmar but some of the comments here are quite true. I am chasidish. and I know some of the satmar mentality. unfortunately its true.

trixx

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:08 pm
amother wrote:
A) I do not think this will have any affect in the future, since most will look at it in a way of "well, she's different, and so she can do it, but neh, I'm not even aiming there...."
B) she is a very controversial figure in her own community.
C) her oldest is just about newly married, and had plenty of issues herself - not the typical boro park role model of a family if you ask most......
so no, I'm gald for her that she won, I'm upset that my 12 yr. old daughter asked me "ma, it's cute that this typical BP lady just went and won office one nice morning", that is not the image of an eishes chayil that I want her to have

Uh, she's clearly not typical, and years of hard work don't equal "going and winning one nice morning"

That's all you need to tell your daughter to give her some perspective. I find that comment more perplexing than your (equally disturbing) notion that an eishes chayil stays at home, only. As mentioned upthread, the ideal woman of valor is actually out in the world doing business not cooking at home.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 9:50 pm
I'm very happy for her. I also just read her bio and saw that she ran a program for teens to get their GEDs and Associate degrees. She clearly pushes for education in the community. Will everyone be affected? Probably not. But at least some girls and women will see that someone like them CAN be a judge or a lawyer if they want to pursue that career.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics