Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Effects of Ruchie Freier's Civil Court Judge big win
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Will Ruchie Freier's win for Civil Court Judge start a new trend among Heimish women?
Yes, going forward more Heimish women will go for Medical and Law degrees, etc  
 29%  [ 32 ]
No, numbers of highly educated Heimish women will stay the same.  
 70%  [ 77 ]
Total Votes : 109

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 6:15 am
amother wrote:
A) I do not think this will have any affect in the future, since most will look at it in a way of "well, she's different, and so she can do it, but neh, I'm not even aiming there...."
B) she is a very controversial figure in her own community.
C) her oldest is just about newly married, and had plenty of issues herself - not the typical boro park role model of a family if you ask most......
so no, I'm gald for her that she won, I'm upset that my 12 yr. old daughter asked me "ma, it's cute that this typical BP lady just went and won office one nice morning", that is not the image of an eishes chayil that I want her to have

My main issue with what you said is that you have inaccurate information. Ruchie Freiers oldest is NOT. newly married. He's actually been married for quite some time now and has sforim of his own published. He's a well esteemed masmid as well as all her children.
Maybe it's not the image of an eishes chayil that your comfortable with, but definetly don't 'prove' it with inaccurate information.

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 7:35 am
Is it possible that most Heimish women, even if they have the brains and "sitzfleish" to study for long hours, by and large, were raised to enjoy "nice things" like clothing, furniture, and homes, that are provided by their husbands, while they raise kids and cook and shop. Studying and attaining degrees and mixing with the masses for years, in college, doesn't interest them, and that isnt their goal in life?

sourstix

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:02 am
mevater whats wrong with thier dh providing? I guess you dont like it. but just because you dont like it doesnt make it a bad thing. since when has it become a negative thing for dh to support thier wives? and no its not possible to know whaat most heimishe women would do. since its a theoretical question. no most the ones I know dont want to also bring in money and have children. its hard enough to give birth and raise kids. I am fine at that. even that is hard enough

Last edited by sourstix on Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:03 am
sourstix wrote:
mevater whats wrong with thier dh providing? I guess you dont like it. but just because you dont like it doesnt make it a bad thing. since when has it become a negative thing for dh to support thier wives?

I don't think Mevater meant to say it as a negative, just as a matter of fact.

sourstix

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:11 am
sorry maya the way she wrote it didnt just sound matter of fact. writing "nice things" in quotes. doesnt sound nice. but ok. I wont argue. she can if she wants. but anyway. the heimishe women are not in an invironment that encourages secular education. we dont mingle with the secular world. we are told its assur. I am sure she knows.

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:18 am
Maya wrote:
I don't think Mevater meant to say it as a negative, just as a matter of fact.

Definitely!

BUT, unfortunately, unless the husband makes a very good living, or couples are helped generously by parents, or unless theyre getting programs and programs and programs, two decent incomes are needed these days to pay rent and all bills. We all know that an advnaced degree yields more per hour, so often you need to work less hours, unless youre lucky and have a VERY good job with no degree.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:08 am
Mevater wrote:
Will many more Heimish women get Medical and Law degrees, after this historical first?

Will this have any effect going forward, on how Heimish schools look at highly educated women, and encourage this rather than discourage?

Mrs Freier must have gotten Chassidishe support and vote if she ran and won in BP.

How did the big Rebbes, Satmar included, explain endorsing her, if they look down at higher education for women? Isnt part of the reason that Satmar offers their students minimal secular education, to keep them sheltered and away from the secular world, as much as possible?

Will things change or is she viewed as some exception, and others will still be discouraged from getting Medical and Law degrees?

Will women be empowered and benefit in some way by her win?

Mr Avigdor got about half as many votes as Mrs Freier. How did that happen in the frum community, with Mr Avigdor having name recognition for many years, and less potential issues in the frum community, when electing a male?

Thoughts?

Firstly Ruchie Frier campaigned heavily in Bp. There was absolutely no mention of M Avigdor. I saw her win right away. But I don't think it will change the community's agenda. If anything she will have encouraged those who were seeking this type of life to go ahead and do it without fear. But not more people will seek this type of life as a result of her strengths.

dimyona

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:18 am
Maya wrote:
The Monroe Satmar endorsed her... As did a few other Chassidish rebbes, as per a letter they signed to that effect.

I do not think this will have any effect on women and education. The Chassidish leaders are not praising her education, they just saw an opportunity for further advancement of their agenda and took it. It has nothing to do with her or her accomplishments. They are not endorsing her PERSONALLY, just what she can do for them.

Which is why I don't see this as a win for the frum community at all. Family court, no less.

Civil court is not necessarily family court.

Ruchie's first practice was in Monroe, practicing real estate law, so she probably has a good relationship with many important Satmar figures. I think that's the most likely explanation for the puzzling endorsement.

Her opponent was just as frum, and perhaps more likely to support any agenda they may have.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:58 am
I am happy that she won. I think that she can break the stupid barriers for frum women that Boro Park has built.
Like she did with Ezras Nashim Hatzalah organization.

I actually found it funny because my sons cheder sent home a note about going to vote, how important it is that there are candidates who can really help our community and we should "vote smart". But with absolutely no mention of her name because she's a woman and ch"v they should even consider writing a woman's name Rolling Eyes but it was obvious who they were referring too since if it would have been a man they would have written his name.

Wishing her lots of koach and hatzlacha.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:14 am
dimyona wrote:

Ruchie's first practice was in Monroe, practicing real estate law, so she probably has a good relationship with many important Satmar figures. I think that's the most likely explanation for the puzzling endorsement.

Her opponent was just as frum, and perhaps more likely to support any agenda they may have.

Civil court? I thought specifically family court. Civil court I don't care about.

Also, for me, the issue is not frum, as much as who endorsed whom, and who will be indebted to whom.

dimyona

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:16 am
Maya wrote:
Civil court? I thought specifically family court. Civil court I don't care about.

Also, for me, the issue is not frum, as much as who endorsed whom, and who will be indebted to whom.

Yes, this is for civil court. That makes a lot of sense, but this is an issue for every elected judge. They will always be biased towards donors and endorsers, and honestly, I don't think it's a good system. But that's another story...

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:45 am
dimyona wrote:

Can someone parse the subtext here? What is the agenda that chassidish groups have in civil court and how will she help them?

That is funny about the note home to vote for her without mentioning her name. I think its great, she sounds like an awesome woman.

cnc

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:20 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
I am happy that she won. I think that she can break the stupid barriers for frum women that Boro Park has built.

I actually found it funny because my sons cheder sent home a note about going to vote, how important it is that there are candidates who can really help our community and we should "vote smart". But with absolutely no mention of her name because she's a woman and ch"v they should even consider writing a woman's name Rolling Eyes but it was obvious who they were referring too since if it would have been a man they would have written his name.

LOL
This is way too funny.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:23 am
dimyona wrote:
Yes, this is for civil court. That makes a lot of sense, but this is an issue for every elected judge. They will always be biased towards donors and endorsers, and honestly, I don't think it's a good system. But that's another story...

I agree.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 12:33 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

My children's school sent home a note about the importance of voting. I assume they didn't write a name of who to vote for because there were 2 frum candidates running and they didn't really care which one you voted for.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:
A) I do not think this will have any affect in the future, since most will look at it in a way of "well, she's different, and so she can do it, but neh, I'm not even aiming there...."
B) she is a very controversial figure in her own community.
C) her oldest is just about newly married, and had plenty of issues herself - not the typical boro park role model of a family if you ask most......
so no, I'm gald for her that she won, I'm upset that my 12 yr. old daughter asked me "ma, it's cute that this typical BP lady just went and won office one nice morning", that is not the image of an eishes chayil that I want her to have

Not every person in Boro Park is interested in being the "typical Boro Park role model of a family". Some people strive to be their own person and are happy being different.

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 1:41 pm
amother wrote:
Not every person in Boro Park is interested in being the "typical Boro Park role model of a family". Some people strive to be their own person and are happy being different.

If the people have the brains and Zitsfleish to study, and come from families that wont disown them, the money made helps marry off children, and means less back-breaking pencil pusher type jobs. Theres definite advantages!

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 3:31 pm
Actually Mordechai Avigdor is extremely qualified. He was the top lawyer for Agudah for years and has a lot of experience in the courts. If I was still living in NYC I would have voted for him.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 6:39 pm
I'm confused by headlines saying she was elected, such as First Hasidic Woman Elected As Brooklyn Civil Court Judge.

What she was won the Democratic primary according to this. Or does the lack of a Republican primary in the same district mean she will run unopposed (at least by the other major party) so she will almost certainly be elected in November?

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 7:06 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:

Which barriers did she break with Ezra's Nashim?

I personally don't know anyone that used them.
Do you?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics