Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Airline Miles

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 4:16 pm
Is it worth selling airline miles?

Is there a price that will make it yes or not worth it?

doctorima

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 5:21 pm
Officially you're not allowed to sell them, and if you get caught, the airline can take them away and blacklist you from earning in the future. So if you do sell, make sure it's through somebody experienced who knows what they're doing.

As far as if it's worth it, it depends on you. If you're planning to use them, probably not. If they're just sitting there and you could use the money, it may be worth it. Not all miles have the same value: Starwood are worth the most, then Chase UR, then AMEX, then United and American, then Delta, then British Air Avios (this is my recollection). Get bids from a place like Sell Miles Now (very reputable) and then decide for yourself.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Sep 14 2016, 10:51 pm
I don't feel comfortable asking for a quote from a different place, because if I do sell it, I'm going to sell it to one specific person.

(Someone asked if we'd sell them. I wasn't actually looking to sell, but they're sitting and doing nothing at this point. So if it's "worth it", I'll do it. If not, I won't. But I don't think I'm going to sell to someone else.)

eta - they're United miles.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:08 am
amother wrote:
I don't feel comfortable asking for a quote from a different place, because if I do sell it, I'm going to sell it to one specific person.

(Someone asked if we'd sell them. I wasn't actually looking to sell, but they're sitting and doing nothing at this point. So if it's "worth it", I'll do it. If not, I won't. But I don't think I'm going to sell to someone else.)

eta - they're United miles.

u can ask for a quote without commiting to sell.. tell them u just want to know how much your miles are worth

doctorima

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 12:18 pm
In this case, a quote will simply help you find out the going rate for them. You can do it anonymously over the computer, and you may even be able to get the quote without filling out any forms, as some of the companies list their price per mile on their web page. Years ago the going rate for United miles was around 1.4 cents per mile, but I don't know what it is today. Only you can decide if it's worth it to you to sell them for around that price.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics