Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Attention 5T/FR imamothers ~ info needed

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 6:41 am
Hi, we're looking to move to 5t/fr area. I need some more information about a few things:

1- what is the tuition like in tag and darchai? Is it possible to get tuition breaks?

2- looking into inwood specifically, what areas or streets are good streets with frum families around?

Thank you so much!

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 6:52 am
I can answer the first question and say that darchei and tag give breaks. Both schools use a 3rd party to evaluate your situation. On the application you are asked what you feel you can afford. Both schools usually agree to that amount. The process is very mentchlach and nobody feels like a shnorer.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:06 am
At what point do you get a break? Like would a family with a baby, a kid in playgroup and 1 kid in yeshiva get a break with a salary of something like 160k? People have different expenses. We get absolutely no help and wont be helped with a house, need babysitter in the house and have arounf 800-1000 in loans too so we really will be struggling to pay 14000 of tuition!

doctorima

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:45 am
I don't live in 5T, and don't work for their tuition committees. You should detail all of your atypical expenses, such as loans, and hope for the best, but honestly, if you make 160k and have only 3 kids, and only 1 in yeshiva, I doubt you'll get much of a break.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 1:57 pm
Well thats just unfair. Theres no reason tuitions are so darn high! Its communism

doctorima

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 2:41 pm
I agree that tuition can cause lots of stress, but I'm not sure what it has to do with communism. They have a committee that reviews requests for breaks based on each family's financial circumstances. If you can't afford the tuition, then perhaps another, cheaper school would be a better match.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 3:01 pm
amother wrote:
I can answer the first question and say that darchei and tag give breaks. Both schools use a 3rd party to evaluate your situation. On the application you are asked what you feel you can afford. Both schools usually agree to that amount. The process is very mentchlach and nobody feels like a shnorer.

Thank you amber for your response. Can you share what an average tuition might be? For example: 4,000, 5,000....

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 3:38 pm
TAG $12000ish
Darchei $14000ish
A bit more or less depending on exact grade. Tag also adds $1,000 for the dinner while Darchei requests that separately/not mandatory. Darchei has a "mandatory" scholarship contribution. Grade by grade comparison, Darchei usually ends up $1,000 higher per grade.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:27 pm
Wow those are high prices. How about building fee? is that included.

I cannot seem to understand how it costs so much for one child. I can understand a tuition of 7500-9000 with all fees, but 14k seems outrageous. If you are making 200k in 5T and have on average 4-5 kids you are paying 65-70k in cash, in childcare/tuition? How do you pay for other basic expenses of food, insurance, cars, clothing and camp and mortgage taxes?

Can someone please explain to me how breaks work? It seems like if you make a decent income you cant get a scholarship, but you would be in debt from a regular sized family.... is everyone in5T really making 300k and up?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:18 pm
I hAve asked different people their tuitions at Darchei and tag (and moving the the area make sure tag even has room in the grade you need!)

Darchei parents j know getting a break are paying 350- 850
Tag parents 400-900

My friends get less of a break with tag then Darchei.

Also the ones paying $350 were the ones with one working parent and making under $100,000 anyone making over was paying at least $500 kid.

As for the poster who hates tuition so much. I homeschool it's free you are welcome to join me.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
Wow those are high prices. How about building fee? is that included.

I cannot seem to understand how it costs so much for one child. I can understand a tuition of 7500-9000 with all fees, but 14k seems outrageous. If you are making 200k in 5T and have on average 4-5 kids you are paying 65-70k in cash, in childcare/tuition? How do you pay for other basic expenses of food, insurance, cars, clothing and camp and mortgage taxes?

Can someone please explain to me how breaks work? It seems like if you make a decent income you cant get a scholarship, but you would be in debt from a regular sized family.... is everyone in5T really making 300k and up?

We make about $200,000 and have 3 kids in tag/darchei at this point. Yes, it's hard. Not much wiggle room. Such is life. My kids = my responsibility to cover their expenses. My choice to buy a home in this neighborhood = my responsibility to cover mortgage, taxes, food...
Do I have a choice? If it won't work for you, pick a different school, a different house/apartment or a different neighborhood.

granolamom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 1:17 pm
Darchei and tag are among the less expensive schools around here. A lot of people in the ft:fr neighborhood really struggle to pay tuition. I agree that you won't get much of a break making $160000 with only 3 young kids. If that's too high then maybe explore other communities. Or homeschooling Smile which is what we do for our younger kids. Am paying close to $40000 in high school tuitions, which is relatively speaking, not bad for two kids. I mean it's a lot but that's what it is here. It's not communism it's cost of living here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics