Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Book Covers
1  2  Next

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:24 am
I'm looking for book covers but can't find any that suit my daughter's book needs. She need 6 book covers and though we bought "jumbo stretchable" book covers, they are not large enough and we really don't like them.
Trouble is, these stretchable stuff are the only covers I can find.
DD says one of the girls in her class had good ones and the package said staples on them, but I can't find any book covers on staples' site.
Can anyone help direct me to a good product?

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:43 am
butcher paper works well for all sizes, and she can decorate it however she wants.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:48 am
Thanks! I offered heavy gift wrap but she says it will tear. She wants contact paper on top of the gift wrap. No way, too much trouble. I guess nobody else does it but that's basically what book covers were when I was in school!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:54 am
ra_mom wrote:
Thanks! I offered heavy gift wrap but she says it will tear. She wants contact paper on top of the gift wrap. No way, too much trouble. I guess nobody else does it but that's basically what book covers were when I was in school!

How is it too much trouble? Make the book cover with the paper and remove the cover and attach the contact paper. It doesn't have to be folded like the paper, just a long rectangle for the outside and inside flaps.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 8:58 am
if she's old enough to worry about it ripping, she's old enough to cover it herself. let her do it. if it's still too much trouble, just cover it again when it rips. no big deal.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:00 am
alternatively, buy library book jacket covers. they come in different heights. here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Brodart.....JI0DW

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:02 am
What's wrong with book covers made from paper grocery bags?

Amelia Bedelia

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:09 am
Just wondering, what's the point of book covers? Didn't know that there are still schools that require them.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:13 am
My daughters' teacher suggested contact paper to keep books neat and clean but not a Must.
To the one who asked about paper grocery bags as covers. That's totally not durable.

LoveMy2Kids

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:36 am
I found the Jumbo Book Sox brand much more generous in size than the cheaper brands. I paid $1.99 each in Shoprite. I wash them, and use them over and over again.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
My daughters' teacher suggested contact paper to keep books neat and clean but not a Must.
To the one who asked about paper grocery bags as covers. That's totally not durable.

Growing up, we used paper grocery bags every year, they worked just fine.

Most of the stretchable book covers really aren't big enough, I have a few big ones, but they're so old I have no idea where I got them. Most teachers don't ask for book covers in my kids schools.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 9:46 am
I have a few stretchable book covers that are ageless.....at the end of the year I throw them in the wash, to be reused the following year. I've never had an issue with them not being big enough. Maybe they are making them smaller these days?

bnm

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 3:57 pm
Wallpaper-used that when I was in school and it lasted a few years.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 3:58 pm
bnm wrote:
Wallpaper-used that when I was in school and it lasted a few years.

hey that brought back memories, my mother used to cover our books with wallpaper.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 4:20 pm
We use to buy remnant rolls at a hardware store called Pergament
That and paper bags.
Whole food bags are quite thick and should last.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 4:48 pm
Thanks everyone! Good suggestions. Now I need to figure out which one to go with. Yup, her teacher requires 6 book covers this year Sad

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 5:24 pm
Would these be good for paperbacks? Like workbooks and notebooks?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 5:32 pm
LoveMy2Kids wrote:
I found the Jumbo Book Sox brand much more generous in size than the cheaper brands. I paid $1.99 each in Shoprite. I wash them, and use them over and over again.

Would they fit over a large hardcover science book?
Which Shoprite had them? I see them online for double that price.
Thanks so much!

BetsyTacy

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 6:00 pm
Jumbo booksox should fit over a large science book. They are the best. They used to make them in limited colors-especially boy appropriate ones. If you can only find them for $4, they are still worth it as they last for years. The knockoff jumbo size does not come close to the size textbook it can cover. I just realized that I have not actually bought a jumbo booksox in years because they last so long. I hope the quality/size has not diminished.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 6:10 pm
BetsyTacy wrote:
Jumbo booksox should fit over a large science book. They are the best. They used to make them in limited colors-especially boy appropriate ones. If you can only find them for $4, they are still worth it as they last for years. The knockoff jumbo size does not come close to the size textbook it can cover. I just realized that I have not actually bought a jumbo booksox in years because they last so long. I hope the quality/size has not diminished.

Thanks! Found on amazon for $3 with prime shipping so I'm ordering. In my experience even the cheaper brands last for years.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children