Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Gut reaction to candidates
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Jeanette

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:12 pm
I am the first to admit that my opposition to Donald Trump is not primarily based on reason but a visceral disgust for him and what he represents. I can't stand listening to him, can't stand his face and wish he would go away already. I recoil from the thought of this man being anywhere near a position of power. And I find it hard to imagine what other people see in him or how they don't see what I see.

I realize that some (many?) people have the same visceral disgust for Hillary that I have for Trump.

Is this something that we can even discuss intelligently? Is it like certain flavors that some people love and other people loathe?

Blue jay

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:34 pm
since your asking about gut reactions.

I really dislike both candidates.

I dislike Hillary because she is a leftist and will continue with the status quo and moral decline that we see in America today.

I dislike Trump because he is provoking and offensive. Im afraid that he will divide this country even further apart.

I am really considering not voting because I dont want to be a part of this mess. I feel sad for our country. Ha-shem rules the world, this craziness in American poilitics is happening for a reason.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:50 pm
I'd like to think that my gut reaction has been informed by the candidates' actual policies and what they represent.
I was very pro Bernie. I did not like Hillary or the way the DNC pushed Hillary from the get-go, and tried to shoot Bernie down. By the time the Democratic primaries were over, I strongly disliked Hillary. I never would have thought I could vote for her.
I then turned by attention to Donald Trump, to see if I would vote for him. I gave him a fair shake, I'd like to think. I'd venture to say that at this point in time, I almost hated Hillary. But nothing pushed my decision to vote for Hillary more than listening to Donald Trump speak about his "policies" and seeing him harness and foment hatred toward minorities. After listening to him speak, I truly believe that he could be disastrous for our country and that many people could be seriously harmed if he were president. He removes dissenters from his rallies. He mocks disabled people, minorities, women, etc. He doesn't understand why we don't use nuclear arms. He'll throw a hissy fit over anyone who in any way offends him (just google Trump Black Pastor Flint for the latest on this) and he'll do anything for people who know how to flatter him- like Vladimir Putin. His supporters think he's smart. I don't think so. I think he's a narcissist who's good at manipulating people who lack critical reasoning skills.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 10:59 pm
Jeanette wrote:

I realize that some (many?) people have the same visceral disgust for Hillary that I have for Trump.

Is this something that we can even discuss intelligently? Is it like certain flavors that some people love and other people loathe?

Nope it can't be discussed intelligently. This support for Trump is supernatural, IMO, and it can't be explained. I imagine his supporters say the same about Hillary, although there you at least have substance.
I'm liking your analogy to flavors.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:00 pm
I plan to vote for Mr. Trump as the candidate I think will do the least harm — and am unhappy with all the choices.
Quinnipiac took a poll over a year ago asking for one word descriptions of the candidates and these were the top 3 responses:

Hillary Clinton:
liar
dishonest
untrustworthy

Donald Trump:
arrogant
blowhard
idiot

Coupled with my impressions of the lesser candidates, Gary "What is a leppo?" Johnson and Dr. Jill "keep the revolution going" Stein... well... oy.

Link: http://www.businessinsider.com.....words

Jeanette

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:04 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I plan to vote for Mr. Trump as the candidate I think will do the least harm

Oh boy...

We don't even KNOW what he will do when he's in office. How can you gauge in a meaningful way how much harm he will do?

As I see it he has already done much harm by getting as far as he did and it will only get worse. He is empowering the last people that I want to see anywhere near positions of power in America.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:11 pm
Jeanette wrote:
Oh boy...

We don't even KNOW what he will do when he's in office. How can you gauge in a meaningful way how much harm he will do?

As I see it he has already done much harm by getting as far as he did and it will only get worse. He is empowering the last people that I want to see anywhere near positions of power in America.

This is true. And precisely why I will vote for Trump despite the fact that he is not my ideal candidate. I don't know what he will do but I have a very clear idea of what Clinton will do and I want none of it.

Jeanette

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:17 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
This is true. And precisely why I will vote for Trump despite the fact that he is not my ideal candidate. I don't know what he will do but I have a very clear idea of what Clinton will do and I want none of it.

Hmmm.... and I'm not willing to take a chance on what Trump might do.

Better the devil you know...

Do we really want someone with the emotional maturity of a 6-year-old in the oval office?

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:18 pm
MiracleMama wrote:

Well stated!

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:19 pm
I really like the Trump proposal with regards to paid maternity leave and daycare.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:21 pm
I have a theory that people's visceral reactions to candidates are based on their relationship to their parents. Someone who had an abusive father will be more disgusted with Trump and someone with a cold, distant mother will hate Hillary.

Jeanette

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:22 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I have a theory that people's visceral reactions to candidates are based on their relationship to their parents. Someone who had an abusive father will be more disgusted with Trump and someone with a cold, distant mother will hate Hillary.

What about people with neither?

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:22 pm
gold21 wrote:
I really like the Trump proposal with regards to paid maternity leave and daycare.

Do you also like how they lied about the fact that Trump employees are already getting these benefits, which turned out to be false?

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:23 pm
daagahminayin wrote:

That's ridiculous.

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:27 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
I plan to vote for Mr. Trump as the candidate I think will do the least harm — and am unhappy with all the choices.
Quinnipiac took a poll over a year ago asking for one word descriptions of the candidates and these were the top 3 responses:

Hillary Clinton:
liar
dishonest
untrustworthy

Donald Trump:
arrogant
blowhard
idiot

Funny how you didn't put the "liar" and "dishonest" descriptions under Trump, when the facts show that they belong to him, on a very grand scale.

You're proving the OP. It's not anymore about facts or the truth. Those seemingly important aspects of an election don't matter in this one at all.

Last edited by Maya on Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:27 pm
Maya wrote:
Do you also like how they lied about the fact that Trump employees are already getting these benefits, which turned out to be false?

I would love to voicenote because typing is so annoying lol
But, who lied and when? What was said?

Maya

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:30 pm
gold21 wrote:
I would love to voicenote because typing is so annoying lol
But, who lied and when? What was said?

Ivanka said that Trump employees receive the benefits that are outlined in his proposal. When fact checked, that turned out to be false.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/14/......html

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:44 pm
Maya wrote:
Ivanka said that Trump employees receive the benefits that are outlined in his proposal. When fact checked, that turned out to be false.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/14/......html

Does Ivanka come across as the lying type to you? Not to me. Had Donald said it, well, yeah. (Hilary isn't squeaky clean either in the truth-telling department.) Speaking of gut reactions, mine is to watch and see how this story unfolds. So I'll watch and wait, and I'll make a decision based on whatever conclusion I draw. I'm open minded.

But politics aside, helloooo, this is a much needed and very overdue proposal!!! The US is so outdated with regards to issues relating to maternity and childcare.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:46 pm
Maya wrote:
Funny how you didn't put the "liar" and "dishonest" descriptions under Trump, when the facts show that they belong to him, on a very grand scale...

Maya, I was quoting a poll. That's what people think. I guess they didn't poll you.

I was actually polled by Rasmussen last week. Among other things, they asked which candidate I would buy a used car from. Neither!

Mrs. Clinton (and her campaign flacks) are dishonest and secretive in a Nixonian sort of way; that's why most people don't trust her. For example: seasonal allergies > overheated > pneumonia. Really!?

Mr. Trump's lying is much more stream-of-conscoiusness.

Jeanette

Post Thu, Sep 15 2016, 11:47 pm
gold21 wrote:
Does Ivanka come across as the lying type to you? Not to me. Had Donald said it, well, yeah. (Hilary isn't squeaky clean either in the truth-telling department.) Speaking of gut reactions, mine is to watch and see how this story unfolds. So I'll watch and wait, and I'll make a decision based on whatever conclusion I draw. I'm open minded.

But politics aside, helloooo, this is a much needed and very overdue proposal!!! The US is so outdated with regards to issues relating to maternity and childcare.

It doesn't matter if she is perceived as the "lying type" or not. The facts speak for themselves.

The fact that they're throwing this proposal out there when they are not even following it themselves makes it look like another cynical manipulation rather than a sincere attempt to improve conditions for women in the workplace.

Of course Donald would say, if you get harassed, find another job. If you don't like the maternity leave policy, find another job.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics