Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Using the water from a kashering pot

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 8:40 am
My dh just kashered a pot that was probably kosher anyway but we couldn't be 100% sure. Totally clean, almost brand new and not used for months.

He just took the boiled water and put it in the Shabbat urn to save time. Something about this feels off to me but I can't put my finger on exactly why. Does anyone know if this is okay?

amother
Blush

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 9:01 am
AYLOR, but I would think not. Hasn't the water now absorbed the trefus from the item you koshered? Isn't that why you rinse kashered items with cold water after kashering--to get rid of the remnants of trefus "dissolved" in the kashering water? And wouldn't you now be ingesting that selfsame trefus if you drink that water?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 16 2016, 9:30 am
I once boiled water to kasher a piece of silverware, and asked a Rav if I could then use the water in the pot to cook pasta and was told no. Not exactly the same situation, but similar.

rfeig613

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 11:46 am
What he did was assur.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 1:46 pm
you need to ask a Rav if your urn is treifed..The pot was ayno Ben yomo but you would typically need to get rid of the water that you used for koshering. I'm not sure if the stale state of the Taam would have any impact on the answer.

In the mashgiach course I am taking we need everything pot wise to be ayno Ben yomo before koshering unless it's Libby gamur in a self clean oven. I'm not sure if that is required at home or if it's a policy thing. I always make things non Ben yomo because it is how I learned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen