Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
My bathroom always smells like pee
1  2  Next

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 5:08 pm
why does my toilet always smell like pee?
I regularly clean the toilet and floor around the toilet with fantastic and a rag (watered down ritzpaz in Israel) and it still smells like pee.
should I be using a different cleaning agent?
or clean it differently?

Shuly

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 6:08 pm
You need to clean it with bleach at least once a week.
In between cleanings, use a disinfectant spray, not Fantastic.

Try Desytol spray: https://www.jacobi.co.il/produ.....7%98/

Teomima

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 6:20 pm
Two things to look out for: the sewage drain pipe from the toilet (ours is old and leaks, not enough to wet the floor but enough to create a chronic smell in the bathroom, and the whole pipe itself has backup issues) and the floor drain (which can collect stale water and stink). For the former there's not much to do but seal the leak if there is one, for the latter you can open the floor drain and flush it out with water and bleach.

Overall for bathroom cleaning I much prefer bleach (they sell Clorox spray here now). But then again, I love the bleach smell. Certainly more than pee!

londoner

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 6:29 pm
You have boys.....

ariellabella

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 8:50 pm
Are you also scrubbing inside the toilet regularly?

Miri1

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 10:12 pm
Try shpritzing regularly with a water vinegar solution.

Lady Bug

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 10:22 pm
bleach only for pee.

dr. pepper

Post Sat, Sep 17 2016, 11:40 pm
So...when this first began, I was going crazy. Being pregnant certainly did not help.
But guess what I found out the problem was.
Drum roll.........
The pee'd diapers in the garbage can!!!!!! After all the clorox Confused
I made a point of never leaving even just a pee diaper in the garbage of the bathroom...and like magic, the pee smell disappeared.
Aside from the random times here and there that some young toilet trainee missed the spot Wink
Hatzlocha!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 12:53 am
Teomima wrote:
Two things to look out for: the sewage drain pipe from the toilet (ours is old and leaks, not enough to wet the floor but enough to create a chronic smell in the bathroom, and the whole pipe itself has backup issues) and the floor drain (which can collect stale water and stink). For the former there's not much to do but seal the leak if there is one, for the latter you can open the floor drain and flush it out with water and bleach.

Overall for bathroom cleaning I much prefer bleach (they sell Clorox spray here now). But then again, I love the bleach smell. Certainly more than pee!

even if I do sponga regularly the drain hole can emit a smell?
how much water and bleach should I flush it down with?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 12:54 am
Shuly wrote:
You need to clean it with bleach at least once a week.
In between cleanings, use a disinfectant spray, not Fantastic.

Try Desytol spray: https://www.jacobi.co.il/produ.....7%98/

what is a disinfectant spray?

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 1:41 am
Basic g. From Shakeel is the best. One bottle lasts for years

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 1:41 am
Basic g. From Shakeel is the best. One bottle lasts for years

Teomima

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 1:52 am
amother wrote:
even if I do sponga regularly the drain hole can emit a smell?
how much water and bleach should I flush it down with?

Do you push sponga water down the bathroom floor drain? If so, it's probably not the source of the problem if you're opening it regularly and notice no particular smell coming from it. If not, open it up and smell, see if that's your problem. Either way it can accumulate crud so I'd say open the drain and spray the inside with bleach and leave it overnight, when no one would wash hands/shower, and see if that helps.

toysrus

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 8:41 am
I would say a quick bleach once a day minimum, it only takes 2 minutes n it leaves it smelling so fresh n clean.

Bleach can be bought in the spray version, even easier u just literaly spritz it around inside the toilet

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 11:12 am
If there is no problem as you have been advised, I would say after bleach wash rewash with plain Water. I have found that urine mixed with chemicals smalls the worst and lingers on. Be generous with the water and make sure all corners etc are cleaned and rinsed well

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 11:14 am
If there is no problem as you have been advised, I would say after bleach wash, rewash with plain water. I have found that urine mixed with chemicals smells the worst and lingers on. Be generous with the water and make sure all corners etc are cleaned and rinsed well.

Lydia

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 2:58 pm
For us, the culprit is area around the screws that hold the toilet seat on. The hinges have enough space in and around for urine to get in and sit, and short of pouring/dripping water into the hinges, there's not much way to get it out with a shmatte. You might try taking the toilet seat off, running the hinges under soapy/bleachy water and see if that helps.

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 5:32 pm
yeah if your sewage pipe is old and rotting, there can be a chronic smell. very expensive to fix.

Shuly

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
what is a disinfectant spray?

In America, it would be Lysol.
In Israel, they sell something similar called Desytol.

It's a spray that kills germs and odors.

I spray all areas of the toilet - the seat, the screws, behind and around the toilet and the flusher handles. Wait a few minutes, wipe off with tissues and flush them.

WastingTime

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:06 am
I have 5 boys and can relate. TG they are getting older and there are less pish-puddles...or pish-pools. Bleach is the cure. Regular soap or floor cleaner won't do it. I know we're doing well when my husband tells me it smells like a swimming pool. I remember once using the bathroom at my cousin who told me she only uses natural cleaners- it reeked in there. And there was a rusty color on the bottom of the toilet bowl.

My favorite cleaner in Israel is the Sano Javel Gel cleaner. Its a bleach gel so you squeeze a bit and leave it few minutes and it melts all the ichy stuff so you can wipe off with a paper towel. For regular toilet cleaning, I use it in the bowl and where you open the lid, there are 2 hinges where the seat connects to the toilet, right there is where things pool and need to be cleaned off--the cleaner will melt it all of. I also periodically squeeze around the toilet on the floor---on the perimeter of the actual bottom of the toilet.

Be careful though as bleach ruins clothes....
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry