Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Lakeview neighborhood Chicago
Previous  1  2

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 7:23 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
WRP is much closer to downtown. It has a mix of people, but very little MO -- there is one old time MO shul, but it doesn't have a lot of people any more. There is one other quasi MO shul, but its membership is really more JPF. And it varies somewhat as to what part of WRP you're in -- it is a big area; around 2 miles north to south and between 1/2-3/4 east-west depending on which part. I'd say most of it ranges from JPF to Yeshivish. Chicago has very few chassidim despite the fact that 2 chassidish kollelim opened recently. WRP also varies in types of housing -- there are apartments, small homes, large homes and huge homes; again, varying by area. And tons of shuls, lots of shopping, but few restaurants. Most of the restaurants are in Skokie. I'd say overall, the city neighborhoods of both West Rogers Park and Peterson Park have been moving more and more to the right over recent years.

I'm scares to take the gamble of moving to a too right wing area! OTOH, its closer to work....
Which shul is the quasi MO but JPF shul?
Because I have a contact in Chicago but she's super busy so I want to only bother her with very targeted questions?
I'm heavily relying on Imamother...
Any idea of which part of WRP we'd be most comfortable in?

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 7:27 pm
amother wrote:
I'm scares to take the gamble of moving to a too right wing area! OTOH, its closer to work....
Which shul is the quasi MO but JPF shul?
Because I have a contact in Chicago but she's super busy so I want to only bother her with very targeted questions?
I'm heavily relying on Imamother...
Any idea of which part of WRP we'd be most comfortable in?

The shul that I'm calling quasi MO but JPF (it actually has a Lakewood talmid as it's Rav) is Adas Yeshurun on Touhy. That is an area of primarly homes though there are a few apartments in the area. The old MO shul is KINS on California.

As far as where you'd be most comfortable, you haven't said enough about yourself. I believe you said that you cover your hair but wear pants; I don't think you'll find many people like that at all in WRP; you might in Skokie.

Also, if you have school age kids and want to send to a true MO school, only one, Hillel Torah fits that bill. It is in Skokie, but not in the part of Skokie where the people live. Very few people in WRP send there (because there aren't many MO people in WRP).

None of these places will feel like Manhattan; they are all more suburban-like. The southern part of WRP is more city-like, but it is certainly not like Manhattan; more like an older Brooklyn neighborhood.

It would really be helpful if there are some MO Chicagoans who would pitch in here as they'd have better first hand information. I have though lived in these neighborhoods for over 60 years (grew up in Skokie, then lived in WRP for 40 years; now in Peterson Park).

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 7:35 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
The shul that I'm calling quasi MO but JPF (it actually has a Lakewood talmid as it's Rav) is Adas Yeshurun on Touhy. That is an area of primarly homes though there are a few apartments in the area. The old MO shul is KINS on California.

As far as where you'd be most comfortable, you haven't said enough about yourself. I believe you said that you cover your hair but wear pants; I don't think you'll find many people like that at all in WRP; you might in Skokie.

Also, if you have school age kids and want to send to a true MO school, only one, Hillel Torah fits that bill. It is in Skokie, but not in the part of Skokie where the people live. Very few people in WRP send there (because there aren't many MO people in WRP).

None of these places will feel like Manhattan; they are all more suburban-like. The southern part of WRP is more city-like, but it is certainly not like Manhattan; more like an older Brooklyn neighborhood.

I've kinda given up on the Manhattan feel- there just ain't nothin' like good old Manhattan! I'll miss it....
But back on track! I do cover my hair and I dont wear pants. I guess you could say we've been moving more right in the last year...(eg. stopped wearing pants).
Is WRP a bad idea for me do you think? Although I've moved more right, I'd still definitely identify as MO

mha3484

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 7:37 pm
I am not MO but have lots of friends and neighbors who are. They live in West Rodgers Park and go to KINS or the mechitza minyan at Ezras Israel. Most send their kids to Hillel Torah (co-ed) or Arie Crown (separate from 1st grade) many of them are what you call MO Machmir. I think Skokie has attracted a more left wing crowd. Where people live depends a lot on renting versus owning and apartment/condo versus a single family home.

OOTBubby

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
I've kinda given up on the Manhattan feel- there just ain't nothin' like good old Manhattan! I'll miss it....
But back on track! I do cover my hair and I dont wear pants. I guess you could say we've been moving more right in the last year...(eg. stopped wearing pants).
Is WRP a bad idea for me do you think? Although I've moved more right, I'd still definitely identify as MO

It's so hard to say. If you don't mind being in a place where most of the people are more right wing than you, you'd be okay. People here are very accepting, so that wouldn't be a problem. And, if you do send kids to the MO left wing school in Skokie, they won't have friends around to play with. The JPF people in WRP mostly send to a different school in school.

And, as I said before, WRP is a pretty big area with variations based on what shuls are in the vicinity and what kind of housing there is. You'd really be best off to pay a visit, look around, speak to some people, visit some shuls, etc.

mha3484

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 8:32 pm
When I used to work downtown I took the commuter rail not the chicago transit and my entire commute was 40 min. 10 min to the train 20 to get into the loop and 10 min walk to my office. The trains are very comfortable and pleasant. I even did it extremely pregnant.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 8:47 pm
I think we'll try out WRP for a while...just because its an easier commute.
Which shul would you say has a younger crowd of the two MO shuls mentioned?

mha3484

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 8:53 pm
Most people I know go to KINS.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 8:07 am
mha3484 wrote:
Most people I know go to KINS.

Agreed. And it is in an area where there are both homes and apartments.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating