Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Recipe for ground beef- no sugar
Previous  1  2

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 1:41 am
like rainbow's meatballs, you can make a delicious meatloaf with ground meat, sauted onion and other things if you like (celery, garlic, zucchini, tomato), eggs, spices... mix up and then pour some healthy broth (vegi broth, chicken broth, etc) over to make it moist.

If oat bran is ok, top with oat bran layer and then dry minced onion on top of that... a layer to keep the moisture in - instead of how some ppl might put ketchup on top to keep the moisture in.

If you can't use oat bran, I am sure you can come up with something... like a layer of cooked cauliflower and minced onion?

bake... yum!

Yes, sugar is hidden everywhere!! Just don't use pre-made sauces Sad

Actually, the tomato sauce at costco (3 pack) I think didn't have any sweetener in it... I am pretty sure... check it out.

rainbow

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:44 am
Sometimes I grind some flax seeds , soak them in a bit of water, and add to the meat mixture.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 11:10 am
I assume you're looking for low carb and low sugar, not no carb and no sugar. Because, for example, a tomato has 6 g carbs, including 4 g sugar. A cup of no sugar added tomato sauce has 21 g of carbs, including 13 g of sugar.

My meatloaf uses tomato sauce, spices, and 6 T flour; I did meatballs with tomato paste, rice and spices. No added sugar, but there's certainly plenty in the tomato products.

HonesttoGod

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 11:36 am
Mix meat with one egg and some matzah meal (this is totally optional you can skip this step it just changes the texture of the meatballs).

Fry an onion, add a can of tomato paste, can of tomato sauce and can of chopped tomatoes. Refill largest can with water and add. Salt pepper basil. Bring to a boil, add meatballs (or just plain ground meat to make a meat sauce).
Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 mins.

Amarante

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 1:07 pm
Here's a soup that is easy and good. Like most soups, improves with aging and can be frozen.

HAMBURGER-BARLEY SOUP

The Big Book of Soups & Stews by Vollstedt

Serves 6

1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 pound lean ground beef (or soy crumbles)
1 lg. yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped with juice or 2 cups crushed
1/2 cup pearl barley, thoroughly rinsed or more if you like thicker soups
4 cups beef stock or chicken broth
1 cup water
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram (any combination of green herbs should work!)
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, warm oil. Add meat, onion, garlic, celery and carrots and cook, breaking up meat with a spoon until no longer pink, about five minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until vegetables and barley are tender, about one hour. Discard bay leaf.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics