Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Brooklyn Housing crisis
1  2  Next

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:08 pm
Brooklyn specifically Boro Park, Flatbush and Williamsburg had become an unaffordable place to live. Besides for just being not affordable, there is nothing Avilable. Couples with 4-5 or more kids are still living in their 1-2 bedroom newlyweds apartment. The couples getting married now have no place to go, they need to either pay an exorbitant amount of rent for a small apartment, move into a basement, or sometimes a hotel room because they really can't find anything.

Should we as parents encourage these newlyweds to start out elsewhere in different communities BEFORE they have children and settle into schools etc?

I know of at least one large
Building with condos building coming up in bp that will have 2 bedrooms and will be for young couples only. These young couples will have nowhere to go after they outgrow these Apts.

And for those of you that will say there is life outside of Brooklyn, I know that. But it's very difficult to move out once your kids are settled in good schools.

What's your opinion?

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:10 pm
Yes encourage them to move out straight from marriage. That is the only way for them to settle in easily, find jobs, schools and friends.

LittleDucky

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
Brooklyn specifically Boro Park, Flatbush and Williamsburg had become an unaffordable place to live. Besides for just being not affordable, there is nothing Avilable. Couples with 4-5 or more kids are still living in their 1-2 bedroom newlyweds apartment. The couples getting married now have no place to go, they need to either pay an exorbitant amount of rent for a small apartment, move into a basement, or sometimes a hotel room because they really can't find anything.

Should we as parents encourage these newlyweds to start out elsewhere in different communities BEFORE they have children and settle into schools etc?

I know of at least one large
Building with condos building coming up in bp that will have 2 bedrooms and will be for young couples only. These young couples will have nowhere to go after they outgrow these Apts.

And for those of you that will say there is life outside of Brooklyn, I know that. But it's very difficult to move out once your kids are settled in good schools.

What's your opinion?

Um, it's illegal to only rent to one type of population- frum, young couples etc.
And yes, leave NY. Life is much better with a higher quality outside Brooklyn.

nicole81

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:27 pm
Both the young men and women should pursue education and careers early on so that by the time they have multiple children, they can afford better living conditions.

Also, there are lovely places to live in Brooklyn outside of Williamsburg, Flatbush, and Boro Park.

Lady Bug

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:29 pm
Maybe the two bedrooms should be only for the older population who outgrew their large houses, which they can vacate to make room for the next generation.

Whatever. I think living in Brooklyn is so silly. Young couples can be encouraged to move, but with the way the chassidishe marriage system is set up, I can see that being very hard on the young couples. I think it's the young parents with 1-2 young kids who should be encouraged and helped to move out. Buy those people are hopefully old enough and mature enough to make their own decisions on that out of necessity.

mirror

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:56 pm
I think the Chassidish community should send a group of families to a cheaper location and re-establish themselves, such as Peekskill or any area North of Monroe.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 8:46 pm
There are so many inexpensive North American communities that will welcome new families with open arms and offer assistance with jobs, housing etc. it can be a bit harder for chassidishe families who want to raise their children with Yiddish, a unique mode of dress etc. then it may be up to a developer to start a community in upstate ny or pa and move a bloc of young families there as a previous poster said.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 9:12 pm
Definitely parents should encourage their young couples to move away while their expenses are still minimal. It's much healthier for the SB too.
Even with the chassidisha marriage system. It's doable. The boys would just need to get their driving license a little sooner.
For some reason we (the chassidisha) coddle young couples so much, as if they can't manage on their own.
I overheard one mother telling her kallah daughter that wanted to move to lakewood (mom lived in bp), "you don't even know what you're getting into. It's so hard. No one's gonna be able to help you when you'll be pregnant etc..." And she did not move. She's prob paying sky high bp rent that she can't afford.
Parents wake up! Encourage your children to be independent. It's hard to let go but there's no future here.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 9:18 pm
nicole81 wrote:

there are lovely places to live in Brooklyn outside of Williamsburg, Flatbush, and Boro Park.

Where ?

staten islander

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 9:24 pm
Come to Staten island

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 9:31 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Definitely parents should encourage their young couples to move away while their expenses are still minimal. It's much healthier for the SB too.
Even with the chassidisha marriage system. It's doable. The boys would just need to get their driving license a little sooner.
For some reason we (the chassidisha) coddle young couples so much, as if they can't manage on their own.
I overheard one mother telling her kallah daughter that wanted to move to lakewood (mom lived in bp), "you don't even know what you're getting into. It's so hard. No one's gonna be able to help you when you'll be pregnant etc..." And she did not move. She's prob paying sky high bp rent that she can't afford.
Parents wake up! Encourage your children to be independent. It's hard to let go but there's no future here.

This. I laugh ( to myself; I'm not that mean) when my chassidish friends tell me about how they split suppers between both parents' homes and don't make their own shabbos for a full two years after marriage cuz "Its so hard."
To that I have but a one-word response: yoy.

Rolling Eyes

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 12:13 am
amother wrote:
Where ?

Where I live, Mill Basin.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 6:36 am
People are living in hotel rooms? For how long? How can anyone afford to do that?

asmileaday

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:30 am
amother wrote:
People are living in hotel rooms? For how long? How can anyone afford to do that?

I have no idea how it's afforded. I do know that I tried to find a place to stay for shabbos in Williamsburg for a last minute simcha.
The hotels and private studio guest apartments were all booked. I was told that is because many young couples are in it.
The tiny guest apartments even had couples with 2-3 kids living there from when they got married. I was horrified.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:17 am
LittleDucky wrote:
Um, it's illegal to only rent to one type of population- frum, young couples etc.
And yes, leave NY. Life is much better with a higher quality outside Brooklyn.

They will not be discriminating. Families with more than one child just won't rent it, because it's too small for them.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:20 am
nicole81 wrote:
Both the young men and women should pursue education and careers early on so that by the time they have multiple children, they can afford better living conditions.

Also, there are lovely places to live in Brooklyn outside of Williamsburg, Flatbush, and Boro Park.

Even with a higher education, Brooklyn is still not affordable.

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:39 am
amother wrote:
Even with a higher education, Brooklyn is still not affordable.

This is true, if you define Brooklyn as Flatbush, Williamsburg, and Boro Park. But like I said upthread, there's more to Brooklyn than these three neighborhoods.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:18 pm
The only way is to keep moving out and not paying exorbitant prices fur apartments and houses maybe like this they'll go down. Sloatsberg is somewhere between Monroe and Monsey and very reasonable

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:26 pm
we lived in a furnished apartment in boro park. it was a little bit depressing to live in a basement apartment, but the apartment itself had so much space, much more than any apartment above ground.

I know people who haven't found normal apartments years after their wedding, and stay in basements, but they have very picky taste and only want to live within a few blocks radius of parents and in laws.

I feel like the only way people will settle out of bp/Flatbush/Williamsburg is if a number of families move together. otherwise, no one is going to want to be the only frum family on a block of only non jews.

I know a couple of families who bought houses on a dead end in Staten Island and the whole block was supposedly sold to frum families. sounds like a good start.

but if people are used to the culture of spending a lot of time by their mother or mother in law, during the week and weekends, they have to grow up before moving out of their comfort zone.

I think living a little farther from family builds a strong marriage.

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
we lived in a furnished apartment in boro park. it was a little bit depressing to live in a basement apartment, but the apartment itself had so much space, much more than any apartment above ground.

I know people who haven't found normal apartments years after their wedding, and stay in basements, but they have very picky taste and only want to live within a few blocks radius of parents and in laws.

I feel like the only way people will settle out of bp/Flatbush/Williamsburg is if a number of families move together. otherwise, no one is going to want to be the only frum family on a block of only non jews.

I know a couple of families who bought houses on a dead end in Staten Island and the whole block was supposedly sold to frum families. sounds like a good start.

but if people are used to the culture of spending a lot of time by their mother or mother in law, during the week and weekends, they have to grow up before moving out of their comfort zone.

I think living a little farther from family builds a strong marriage.

We are very Independent and don't care where my parents and in laws live. The only think keeping me her is my job and kids schools.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating