Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Brooklyn Housing crisis
Previous  1  2

Maya

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:36 pm
amother wrote:
The only way is to keep moving out and not paying exorbitant prices fur apartments and houses maybe like this they'll go down. Sloatsberg is somewhere between Monroe and Monsey and very reasonable

Is there a frum community in Sloatsburg?

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:19 pm
I wish there could be a workshop to parents about this...
We are young and looking into moving out of the city. Why would the Parents be so unsupportive?
It makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong! I guess I just gotta stick to my guns and get on with life!

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 8:43 pm
The OU has a community fair every year where different communities can "advertise" and get the word about other places to live outside of NY. Could there be something like that for Chassidish people? Or is it that there aren't established communities with the resources families would want?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:23 pm
I wish tons of yeshivish people would move to a more affordable neighborhood. We were very independent from day 1. Yes we got some financial aid while I was in college. Made shabbos and suppers easily right away. But I don't really see how easy it would be to settle out of Brooklyn. Although, I would love an eiruv and can't stand certain things regarding parking, etc. We need to move. Where to? We are settled with jobs and schools. And my husband doesn't like Lakewood mentality. And he is picky in regards to moving to the thirties, marine park and mill basin.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:35 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Definitely parents should encourage their young couples to move away while their expenses are still minimal. It's much healthier for the SB too.
Even with the chassidisha marriage system. It's doable. The boys would just need to get their driving license a little sooner.
For some reason we (the chassidisha) coddle young couples so much, as if they can't manage on their own.
I overheard one mother telling her kallah daughter that wanted to move to lakewood (mom lived in bp), "you don't even know what you're getting into. It's so hard. No one's gonna be able to help you when you'll be pregnant etc..." And she did not move. She's prob paying sky high bp rent that she can't afford.
Parents wake up! Encourage your children to be independent. It's hard to let go but there's no future here.

I’m married almost 18 years with 5 kids keh . Wanted to move to Lakewood this school
Year and we stayed cuz my mom didn’t want us to move! (I do have 2 sisters that moved to Monsey few years ago )

zaftigmom

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:47 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I wish tons of yeshivish people would move to a more affordable neighborhood. We were very independent from day 1. Yes we got some financial aid while I was in college. Made shabbos and suppers easily right away. But I don't really see how easy it would be to settle out of Brooklyn. Although, I would love an eiruv and can't stand certain things regarding parking, etc. We need to move. Where to? We are settled with jobs and schools. And my husband doesn't like Lakewood mentality. And he is picky in regards to moving to the thirties, marine park and mill basin.

What's Lakewood mentality? Lakewood is much more diverse these days.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 9:49 pm
amother [ Magenta ] wrote:
Brooklyn specifically Boro Park, Flatbush and Williamsburg had become an unaffordable place to live. Besides for just being not affordable, there is nothing Avilable. Couples with 4-5 or more kids are still living in their 1-2 bedroom newlyweds apartment. The couples getting married now have no place to go, they need to either pay an exorbitant amount of rent for a small apartment, move into a basement, or sometimes a hotel room because they really can't find anything.

Should we as parents encourage these newlyweds to start out elsewhere in different communities BEFORE they have children and settle into schools etc?

I know of at least one large
Building with condos building coming up in bp that will have 2 bedrooms and will be for young couples only. These young couples will have nowhere to go after they outgrow these Apts.

And for those of you that will say there is life outside of Brooklyn, I know that. But it's very difficult to move out once your kids are settled in good schools.

What's your opinion?

It’s a terrible problem, and I hear so many people saying lots of people are moving out to cheaper places like Toms River, etc., so why is it still so expensive here? You can barely find a decent house under $900k in Brooklyn!

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 10:25 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:

You sound like me... except when my husband said no Jersey when we got married, I thought he would eventually change his mind - but I've changed mine. I like our lives here and can't imagine having to deal with the hassle that is preschool in Jersey, and can't imagine having to drive everywhere. It would be a huge lifestyle adjustment, and we would both need new jobs.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Nov 21 2019, 11:19 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Where I live, Mill Basin.

Sheepshead Bay is also up and coming, I see more frum people all the time
As a child there was practically no religious Jews

Now when I visit relatives , there are more and more
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating