Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Worried that guests will try to invite themselves back

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:52 pm
Last year my guests allowed their kids to touch everything and break things without apology. Last year I told them to find another place for this year. Succos is soon approaching and I am scared that she will ask to come with her kids who can do whatever they want without any consequences whatsoever. Anyone else with this problem?

Maya

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 7:54 pm
Your post doesn't seem to match your title.

Just say no, last year's experience was not great for you and you don't feel like you can do it again this year. End of story.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 8:09 pm
I changed the title. This generation is beyond what I expected.

tryinghard

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 8:10 pm
You don't even need to explain why - "I'm really sorry, it's just not gonna work out this year. We'd love to have you for some meals, though!"

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 18 2016, 8:59 pm
If the kids break your things, you have my permission to skip the last part of tryinghard's phrasing, and just say, "I'm sorry, it's not going to work out for us.". Wash, rinse, repeat, as necessary.

doctorima

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:03 am
As others have said, you owe them nothing, and there's nothing wrong with just vaguely saying, "It's not going to work out for us this year."

If for some reason it's close family that would change things slightly, not that you would have to have them, but you would need to be less off-putting and perhaps say something like, "I've been going through some things recently, and I just don't feel up to it this year, I'm really sorry."

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:30 am
Just. Say. No.
Nancy Reagan's main contribution to the good of society.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics