Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
MO communities that are a decent commute from Manhattan
1  2  Next

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 1:08 am
Our family is seriously considering a relocation to NYC, and we're trying to figure out where to live. DH and I will be working in Manhattan, and we're looking for an MO community in a decent commuting distance. Since we're both working we don't want to get too far, otherwise we'll both be on the road all the time and never see our kids.

Commute can be by car, subway, bus, hot air balloon... We're willing commute at off hours to save time (like having one parent leave at 6 AM and be back for pickup, and the other doing drop off and working late).

So what are our options? All we really know of is Teaneck, and living in the city, which is expensive and a bit cramped. I don't know anything about MO communities in other boroughs. It looks like there are a lot of towns in NJ that are close but I don't know if they have a community. Specifically we want an Eruv and a Jewish preschool of some sort.

Thanks in advance!

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 1:19 am
Teaneck is a great option as a full-service MO community with a varied housing stock and buses to the city.

Riverdale is commutable by subway. Apartments are available, but houses there are very expensive. If you are willing to travel by train, there's also the Five Towns or even Long Beach and Oceanside.

Other possibilities are Staten Island, Jamaica Estates, and Fairlawn.

Edison/Highland Park is a long commute. Also some parts of Monsey.

essie14

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 2:10 am
Springfield, NJ
Bergenfield, NJ
Fairlawn, NJ
Kew Gardens Hills, NY
Oceanside, NY

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 3:31 am
Elizabeth, NJ
Passaic, NJ (has a MO community)
Englewood, NJ

staten islander

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 3:47 am
Staten Island

nicole81

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 5:51 am
West Hempstead, LI
Hillside/KGH, Queens
Mill Basin, Brooklyn
Linden, NJ

Not sure what "decent" commute means though...

kollel wife

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:20 am
Kew Garden Hills is a bus and then a subway whereas Kew Gardens or Forest Hills are only "one fare" the subway. Not sure, but in my day all these neighborhoods were primarily modern orthodox. Further would be Hillcrest. For sure also bus and subway.

icebreaker

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:24 am
kollel wife wrote:
Kew Garden Hills is a bus and then a subway whereas Kew Gardens or Forest Hills are only "one fare" the subway. Not sure, but in my day all these neighborhoods were primarily modern orthodox. Further would be Hillcrest. For sure also bus and subway.

Or you can take the express bus, which is about 45-50 mins (maybe an hour during bad traffic). It's more expensive of course than the bus but I see so many people lined up on Main Street and beyond.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:37 am
what type of MO? Personally I wouldn't recommend Passaic and Linden to the same family in most cases.

lfab

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:45 am
Kew Gardens Hills in Queens has a big range/mix of people including MO, JPF, Yeshivish, Bucharian... It is a very diverse community with lots of options for jewish preschools, kosher food, etc. I don't know specifics about the MO community but there is definitely one. Not sure about Forest Hills or Kew Gardens but those might also be worth looking into.

Henna12

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:06 am
Not sure if prices are an issue but Long Island has some great MO communities and the LIRR goes directly to Midtown...

WhatFor

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:11 am
What community are you coming from? MO has a broad range and there are a lot of communities in the area. I believe Washington Heights also has a mo community but it might be a bit more right wing than some other mo communities in, say, Long Island. It also makes a difference if you're used to city life or are looking for something more suburban. I've personally heard a lot of good things about Elizabeth. I understand monsey also has a mo community as well but don't know much about it.

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:27 am
I think you need to specify what decent commute means to you. People are also assuming that you both work in midtown and that may be incorrect.

You are getting a lot of great suggestions but the 45 minute train ride from Long Island to own station may not be a decent commute if you work downtown or uptown.

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:31 am
Thanks guys!
Some clarifications -
Yeah 'decent' is pretty vague. Ideally no more than 45 minutes, preferably less. Because we're both working it makes me nervous to think that we'd both be so far from the kids.

We're Israeli and have all kinds of different friends in different places along the spectrum. I wear pants and cover my hair. I don't need everyone to be like me, but I wouldn't want to live in a place where no one would eat at our house or play with our kids because of that.

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:31 am
I think Riverdale could be a good option for you

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:48 am
tichellady wrote:
I think Riverdale could be a good option for you

Agree

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:51 am
Definitely not Passaic, you will be among a tiny minority.
Fair lawn has a wide range of MO families had amazing day cares/ pre schools but the commute is more like an hour.

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 12:17 pm
Another mention of Teaneck. Sounds like your kind of crowd.

EnnuiGalore

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 2:44 pm
Englewood nj

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 4:22 pm
amother wrote:
Our family is seriously considering a relocation to NYC, and we're trying to figure out where to live. DH and I will be working in Manhattan, and we're looking for an MO community in a decent commuting distance. Since we're both working we don't want to get too far, otherwise we'll both be on the road all the time and never see our kids.

Commute can be by car, subway, bus, hot air balloon... We're willing commute at off hours to save time (like having one parent leave at 6 AM and be back for pickup, and the other doing drop off and working late).

So what are our options? All we really know of is Teaneck, and living in the city, which is expensive and a bit cramped. I don't know anything about MO communities in other boroughs. It looks like there are a lot of towns in NJ that are close but I don't know if they have a community. Specifically we want an Eruv and a Jewish preschool of some sort.

Thanks in advance!

If you're considering NJ, off-hour commuting may be your best bet. There are days when by 8 am, the back up for the bridges and tunnels are all 45 minutes to an hour, and that's on top of the regular commuting time. OTOH, the frequency of transportation decreases later in the evening, which could cause trouble for the later person. Given the choice, I'd suggest that you look on a train (or subway) line.

In addition to what others have mentioned, what about White Plains.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries