Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
What's the secret to an ooey gooey chocolate babka
1  2  Next

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 6:30 pm
What's the secret to an ooey gooey delicious chocolate babka? I tried a few recipes but none have been that great. They either weren't chocolate-y enough or weren't moist enough. I would love to make a delicious babka for yomtov to serve piping hot with vanilla ice cream. One recipe I tried called for pudding in the chocolate mixture but it still didn't come out as flavorful as we'd liked.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:20 pm
following

chicco

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:33 pm
Maybe use a chocolate spread for the filling.

home organizer

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:35 pm
What type of chocolate mixture do you use?

I use a dry mix. Powdered sugar, regular sugar, cocoa, drop of cinnamon, and bread crumbs. I oil the dough with plenty of oil and then sprinkle on the powder and it is always delicious.

Nikki

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:42 pm
I have a delicious chocolate recipe but it uses margarine and I know many people don't like to use margarine.

Do you want recipe?

groovy1224

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 7:52 pm
Busy in brooklyn (it's a blog) posted a recipe for chocolate meltaway cake that was all over social media..people went nuts over it. I made it myself, it's delicious. Definitely has that gooey chocolate factor you're looking for.

If you google it, it should come up.

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:40 pm
Nikki wrote:
I have a delicious chocolate recipe but it uses margarine and I know many people don't like to use margarine.

Do you want recipe?

Yeah please, for yomtov we'll splurge. Smile

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:41 pm
home organizer wrote:
What type of chocolate mixture do you use?

I use a dry mix. Powdered sugar, regular sugar, cocoa, drop of cinnamon, and bread crumbs. I oil the dough with plenty of oil and then sprinkle on the powder and it is always delicious.

Recipe please.

Dough and then a dry mix on top before rolling?

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:42 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
Busy in brooklyn (it's a blog) posted a recipe for chocolate meltaway cake that was all over social media..people went nuts over it. I made it myself, it's delicious. Definitely has that gooey chocolate factor you're looking for.

If you google it, it should come up.

Found it, thanks. Some interesting ingredients.

Chocolate Meltaway Cake

Cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup dairy free sour cream or unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup soy milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Chocolate Topping:
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup margarine, melted or oil

Crumb Topping:
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla sugar
2 Tbs. oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 inch square or round cake pan with parchment paper.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix on low to combine. Then add the eggs, sour cream, soy milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix to combine. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.

Mix up the chocolate topping. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and margarine. Dollop the chocolate all over the cake batter and then using a knife or a spatula, to swirl/spread the chocolate and cake together.

Mix up the crumb topping. In a small bowl mix the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar, and oil. Stir until large crumbs form. Sprinkle the crumbs all over the top of the cake. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the cake is set and the edges are slightly brown.

Laiya

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 8:56 pm
I didn't make the meltaway, but the only babka / kokosh cake I made that came out really gooey was in the mishpacha a few months ago. They had a contest and printed the top 3 recipes; this was the first. What was interesting was the chocolate filling had an egg, and a package of chocolate pudding mix, as well as the usual cocoa powder, sugar and oil. Also, I doubled the filling.

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:01 pm
Laiya wrote:
I didn't make the meltaway, but the only babka / kokosh cake I made that came out really gooey was in the mishpacha a few months ago. They had a contest and printed the top 3 recipes; this was the first. What was interesting was the chocolate filling had an egg, and a package of chocolate pudding mix, as well as the usual cocoa powder, sugar and oil. Also, I doubled the filling.

Do you have the recipe?

agreer

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:32 pm
You need to find a recipe that lets you have very thin layers of dough that don't rise too much... then the filling will shine!

I'd love such a recipe, if anyone has one.

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 9:45 pm
I have a neighbor who makes her babka with chocolate pudding as well as the usual dry mix. So yummy and super chocolatey and moist.

pause

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:19 pm
Lots of oil!

Laiya

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:29 pm
lovemytwins wrote:
Do you have the recipe?

Sure!
I'm sure any dough would work, but I'm retyping it here for proportions (the directions are pretty standard):
Dough:
7 1/2 c. flour
4 1/2 T. yeast (btw I just used 2 packets and it was perfect!)
3/4 c. sugar
1 T. vanilla sugar
1 c. oil
1 3/4 c. warm water
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. salt

Filling: I did 1 1/2 times the filling:
1 1/2 boxes instant choc. pudding mix
1 1/2 c. cocoa powder
3 c. sugar
1 egg + 1 yolk
1 c. oil
1/2-3/4 c. water
1 T. vanilla
* Stir firs the dry ingr., then slowly add in the wet. Start with 1/4 c. water and slowly add an additional 1/4 c. if necessary--it should have the consistency of peanut butter according to the recipe.

Crumb topping: (I also doubled this)
you can skip this but it's worth the extra effort!
1/4 c. (or half stick) margarine
1 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
Pulse until crumbly and sprinkle over cakes.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 mins.
My plan was to try all 3 of the winning babka recipes but I never ended up trying any of the others, bec. this one was so good!

Eta: Just made this recipe for shabbos which I got from here because too lazy to look up original, and there's a typo. The water in the filling should be just 1/2 c., not 1 1/2 cup (corrected now). So sorry!

Makes 2

Last edited by Laiya on Fri, Jan 05 2018, 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

mochacoffee

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 10:35 pm
Laiya wrote:
Sure!
I'm sure any dough would work, but I'm retyping it here for proportions (the directions are pretty standard):
Dough:
7 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 T. vanilla sugar
1 1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. warm water
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. salt

Filling: (so as I mentioned in pp, I doubled the filling. Some of my kids complained it was "too chocolatey", as if there were such a thing!)
1 box instant choc. pudding mix
1 c. cocoa powder
2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. oil
1 1/4-1/2 c. water
* Stir firs the dry ingr., then slowly add in the wet. Start with 1 1/4 c. water and slowly add an additional 1/4 c. if necessary--it should have the consistency of peanut butter according to the recipe. For some reason, once when I made it, it came out way too loose and drippy. So that's why I'd start with 1/4 c. less water and slowly add, as necessary.

1 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar

My plan was to try all 3 of the winning babka recipes but I never ended up trying any of the others, bec. this one was so good!

Thanks!

anotherima

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:12 am
Laiya wrote:
Sure!
Dough:
7 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1 T. vanilla sugar
1 1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. warm water
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
1 tsp. salt

Filling: (so as I mentioned in pp, I doubled the filling. Some of my kids complained it was "too chocolatey", as if there were such a thing!)
1 box instant choc. pudding mix
1 c. cocoa powder
2 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. oil
1 1/4-1/2 c. water
* Stir firs the dry ingr., then slowly add in the wet. Start with 1 1/4 c. water and slowly add an additional 1/4 c. if necessary--it should have the consistency of peanut butter according to the recipe. For some reason, once when I made it, it came out way too loose and drippy. So that's why I'd start with 1/4 c. less water and slowly add, as necessary.

1 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar

How long does the dough need to rise for? How many babkas does this make?

sushi galore

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:21 am
Laiya wrote:

Do you still have it? Would love the recipe. I usually save Mishpacha mags. Just don't know which week it was. Can you help me identify it please? Tia

Laiya

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:28 am
anotherima wrote:
How long does the dough need to rise for? How many babkas does this make?

Rise 1 1/2 hours. Recipe says it makse 8, but I've made it into just 4, in medium sized loaf pans.

Mevater

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:30 am
sushi galore wrote:
Do you still have it? Would love the recipe. I usually save Mishpacha mags. Just don't know which week it was. Can you help me identify it please? Tia

Isnt it the recipe posted and repeated, above your post?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics