Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Small red birth mark

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Sep 19 2016, 11:59 pm
My DD was born w SM red birth mark on her eye lid. I was told it will disappear eventually . When can I expect that to happen?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:30 am
My son was born with a spider like red mark on his cheek. We wentvit took it out with Lazer in the hospital. It would have disappear by itself.

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:40 am
I would monitor it to make sure there are zero changes. Doctors like to say these will disappear, and many will, but many do not, and get worse. An eyelid is a very important place, because if it gets bigger, it may get thicker too, but the eye is a very sensitive area.

I don't know how lasers work with eyelids, but I would consider a consult with a doctor, particularly if there are any changes (size, color) other than fading or shrinking. If you are in the NY area, I have a fabulous doctor. Birthmarks like this run in my family, and I brought dd in when she was a few weeks old with a small mark on her leg. They recommended layering it off, and we did it safely at a couple months old and it never caused us issues again.

MyUsername

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 11:32 am
My daughter had this. I kind of forgot about it - she's 3.5 now and it's not there anymore. I think it was significantly faded by a year, but it didn't fade completely until she was over 2. Also, once it had faded a lot (but not completely), it would turn very red if she was crying but only when she way crying.

It usually fades on its own by age 2. If at age 1 it's darker, I would get it checked out, though it's usually nothing and there isn't much to do about it.

Zeleze

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 11:47 am
They call it a Strawberry, it vanishes till about the age of 3

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 11:54 am
Is there anything specific that caused it ?

MyUsername

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:17 pm
Actually, they aren't all strawberry marks. The strawberry marks are usually raised, and there is no underlying cause as far as I know. I think they can be treated with lasers if they don't go away on their own.

There are also salmon patches. If it's on an eyelid, it's most likely to be a salmon patch. That's what my daughter had, and they usually start out pinkish-reddish or red (though not a deep red) and usually disappear by age 2. There is no specific cause or underlying reason that I am aware of or that any doctor was concerned about.

Port wine stains are another kind of red patch, these are usually darker to begin with than salmon patches and they sometimes get darker with time, and I think might be able to be treated later on with lasers. I'm not aware of any underlying cause for these either.

Essentially, all of these are almost always harmless and with no underlying cause. Although you may notice it on your baby's eyelid a lot now, it's just because they spend so much time with their eyes closed - as they get older, it will be less and less noticeable because your baby will be awake.

simcha2

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:27 pm
Sounds like "Angel kisses". They are called Stork bites if they are on the back of the neck. More than half of all babies have them. The ones on the eyelids generally face (though may still be visible when crying or angry), The ones on the back of the neck generally don't fade. They are harmless and very common.

MyUsername

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 12:41 pm
Yes- angel kisses are salmon patches. A much cuter name though!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics