Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Olive oil and wicks

ariellabella

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 12:45 pm
I recently switched to olive oil for my Shabbos candles. I have tried so many kinds of wick holders and wicks, but nothing works consistently.

If you use olive oil, would you please help me out by posting exactly what materials you use (glass cup, wick holder, wick)?

Thank you!!

yaelinIN

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 12:58 pm
I have been lighting with olive oil and wicks for almost 20 years.

I use these
P'tilim Floating wicks, a couple centimeters of water and then oil on top obviously as it floats). I use cups like this.

Sometimes the wicks tip over or fizzle out, but that is unusual and often caused by making the candles up several days in advance (like when my husband makes them before his business trips that will last over Shabbos).

Hatzlacha!

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 3:18 pm
yaelinIN wrote:
I have been lighting with olive oil and wicks for almost 20 years.

I use these
P'tilim Floating wicks, a couple centimeters of water and then oil on top obviously as it floats). I use cups like this.

Sometimes the wicks tip over or fizzle out, but that is unusual and often caused by making the candles up several days in advance (like when my husband makes them before his business trips that will last over Shabbos).

Hatzlacha!

I use exactly the same things. I find that to prevent tipping you need to use larger floating wicks, and need to be careful of the proportion the wick sticks up from the cork floating part.

ariellabella

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 4:35 pm
Thank you both! Do you just match the size of wick with the cup size?
And the water - what is it for?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note