Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Anyone else feel there's no point in making long term plans

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 4:52 pm
Because moshiach is around the corner?

My husband and I are in the process of building a house, but I literally feel like there's no point in agonizing over the details and decor, because I feel like moshiach will be here any day, and we won't even live in the US!
I've never had such a strong premonition before. Anyone else feel this way?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 5:12 pm
I hope you're right! No premonitions here but I'm pretty ready for him right now!

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 5:26 pm
what do you mean by a premonition?
I feel the complete opposite, that I really dont see how mashiach is ever going to come in our days.
But ya never know.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 5:33 pm
imamother finally has a resident נביאה

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 5:41 pm
I can relate to not feeling like I can make plans but for different reasons

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 5:50 pm
It's just that life is getting so crazy, what with a wild man running for president, terror attacks a regular occurance in Israel and us and Europe, sad occurances happening to families... I can't see the world getting crazier, so I just have this feeling that we're at the end and moshiach is about to come.

GAP

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:23 pm
They've been saying mashiach is coming very soon for years. I stopped getting my hopes up.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
It's just that life is getting so crazy, what with a wild man running for president, terror attacks a regular occurance in Israel and us and Europe, sad occurances happening to families... I can't see the world getting crazier, so I just have this feeling that we're at the end and moshiach is about to come.

Actually, life overall now is much better than it used to be. Things have gotten way crazier in the past.

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:26 pm
My policy is to make long term plans but remain flexible. Daven for the best, be alert for the worst, and don't let either stop me from moving my life forward as if neither will happen in my lifetime.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:35 pm
The Lubavitcher rebbe addresses this question.

The word Golah (Galus) and geulah are only one letter apart. The only letter missing is the aleph, Which stands for Hashem echad. The process of transforming Golah to geulah is through bringing Hashem into our life. So there's no need to change your plans, we keep running our lives normally and making plans as we usually would but mindful of ways to make our regular life more G-dly. So if you're building your house, yes it's easy to get caught up in the little details but don't forget your main goal--you're building a house for Hashem! Will He feel happy and comfortable there?

tigerwife

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:45 pm
amother wrote:
Actually, life overall now is much better than it used to be. Things have gotten way crazier in the past.

On a communal level, this is true, but I think today's age is fraught with personal galus.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 8:17 pm
Turquoise, I like that. Thanks for the reminder.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
The Lubavitcher rebbe addresses this question.

The word Golah (Galus) and geulah are only one letter apart. The only letter missing is the aleph, Which stands for Hashem echad. The process of transforming Golah to geulah is through bringing Hashem into our life. So there's no need to change your plans, we keep running our lives normally and making plans as we usually would but mindful of ways to make our regular life more G-dly. So if you're building your house, yes it's easy to get caught up in the little details but don't forget your main goal--you're building a house for Hashem! Will He feel happy and comfortable there?

This is so beautiful and brought tears to my eyes!

zaq

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:39 pm
Nope, nope,. nope. Never give up hope for the future, but live in the here and now. If your parenbts had had such a "premonition", what kind of home would you have grown up in? Besides which, what makes you so sure you wouldn't be keeping your new house in the End of Days?

5mom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 12:38 am
I once heard someone say that buying a house in chutz la'aretz is betting against Mashiach. There's something to that, and we ought to be aware of the long term trajectory of Jewish history.

But for now, you need someplace to live and for whatever reason, you're not in Israel. If you feel strongly, buy property in Israel and rent wherever you are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics