Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
If a child was bitten once,

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:51 pm
Should I call the teacher?

Or wait until it happens again?

My son has a visible bruise on his chest, which I think is weird. I don't understand how a child could bite there to that extent. And my son is very thin.

OutATowner

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:53 pm
As a teacher I am shocked that no one called you. You absolutely should call. You don't have to be accusatory, but demand an explanation. Teachers can't prevent everything but they should notify you.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:55 pm
My child came home with a bite mark, I called the teacher for an explanation. You should definitely call.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 7:59 pm
How does an "explanation" help?

My son said that the child bit him because he didn't want to share his toy.

I know most mothers will say this, but my son really isn't a bully. The most he knows is how to potch. He is extremely gentle.

What do I say? Ask?

cinnabuns

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 8:07 pm
The teacher has to know bc if the biter is a repeat offender, it needs to be dealt with more seriously. Truth is, they should have called you..

OMG!

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 8:34 pm
My son was bitten many times. Calls to rebbe didn't help. Until I sent black pepper with a note saying I use that when a child bites!

trixx

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 8:37 pm
As a counselor I was trained to tell the parents if the kid so much as got a bandaid that day. "She fell on the slide and got scraped, but all good now."

It's pretty weird the teacher didn't tell you anything. Does she even know it happened? Does she not know, in which case, who was supervising? And why would you wait for something to happen again to speak up?

Call and say, hey my kid came home with a bite mark and I'm a little concerned both that it happened and that you as the responsible adult did not alert me, the other responsible adult. Can you tell me what happened? (if she can't, say, well who was supervising?) And perhaps be on the lookout for the offender to watch him or separate during playtime?

OutATowner

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 9:59 pm
OP, an explanation helps because you want your child in a safe, secure environment. Things happen, but you should be informed of the circumstances and discuss a way to prevent it from happening again.
Did you son tell the teacher? He needs to feel that he can tell an adult when someone bites him, or hurts him in any way, especially if it leaves a mark!
It's not only about one bite mark but the way your son responds when someone hurts him.

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Sep 20 2016, 10:06 pm
The teacher should have called you. It's concerning to me that this didn't happen from a number of angles.

Please have some empathy though for the mother of the child who bites. I have been in both situations and being the parent of the biter is a much much harder place than the parent of the bites.

Something needs to be done to help both children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers