Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Mixing Fish and Dairy

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:21 am
I tried to make a poll, but for some reason AdBlock is preventing me from using the feature.

Please help me settle a discussion with DH. DH is Lubavitch, and he says "No fish and dairy, stam. Everyone knows this, it's in the Shulchan Aruch."

My friends and I, both Ashkenazic and Sephardic, hold that it is a minority opinion, and that the prohibition is based on a mistranslation somewhere down the line. I can't remember which sefer we found that in, but we definitely found a solid source that says so.

I never, ever cook fish with dairy for DH, out of respect for his minhag, but when he's not around I will make fish with dairy for me and DD. Tuna melts, or trout fried in butter, for example. Lox and cream cheese, for sure!

So my question is, would you eat fish with dairy? Why or why not? Do you think this is a majority or minority opinion, and what sources?

We're not fighting about this, so there's no shalom bayis at stake here. We just think it's a really interesting topic for discussion, and I'd like to have more to add to the conversation.

Thanks!

OMG!

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:03 am
I too love the combination but always feel guilty about it since my sister once told me that she called her rav and was given an absolute no. But we aware that certain dairy products are ok. Like butter or cream cheeses. I'm not sure. Heavy cream or heavy real cheeses are the problem. Always see these yummy fish plate recipes with thick cheese sauce on it. Never tried it yet. So, let's see what others think.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:08 am
Sefardim do not mix fish and milk. As far as I know, a restaurant that cooks milk and fish together cannot get a hashgacha of the Batatz Bet Yosef. Many restaurants note which menu items are milk and fish together so that Sefardim can avoid them.

Ashkenazim do mix, hence bagels with cream cheese and lox. I have no idea what Lubavitch does.

cm

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:22 am
Here you go:

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....r.htm

http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-Wo.....-milk

http://www.crcweb.org/Kosher%2.....a%20B'Av%202013.pdf

Not sure why this last link is not formatting correctly (it is copied directly from the browser). Search "crc fish and dairy" and it comes right up.

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:57 am
Ashmenaz here. We mix but since we are not major dairy eaters we don't usually do this often. Lox and cream cheese is an exception and we do that more often. Once I a blue moon I'll prepare a cheese crusted fish or something or tilapia prepared in butter.

Sadie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:11 am
My husband doesn't eat fish with dairy (Sephardi) but I did (until I stopped eating fish) I don't think this is one of those things where where you're supposed to go along with what he does.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:18 am
cm wrote:
Here you go:

http://www.chabad.org/library/.....r.htm

http://www.jpost.com/Jewish-Wo.....-milk

http://www.crcweb.org/Kosher%2.....a%20B'Av%202013.pdf

Not sure why this last link is not formatting correctly (it is copied directly from the browser). Search "crc fish and dairy" and it comes right up.

Wow, great sources! Thank you so much. Very Happy

LisaS

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:23 am
My husband is sefardi, but we are only strict not to eat them in the same food; we don't use separate plates like we would for meat/fish. So no tuna melts, lox+cream cheese, but we would have lasagna and tuna at the same meal. No sources, just based on what the rabbi told us years ago.

My husband is lactose intolerant so he doesn't mind, and I certainly didn't mind giving up dairy-fish in exchange for kitniyot on Pesach.

cnc

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:29 am
We eat them together, but don't cook them together.
So a cream cheese and lox sandwich is fine but a tuna melt isn't.

greenfire

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:32 am
most chassidish don't eat fish & dairy ... but few still do gravitate to the infamous bagel with cream cheese & lox

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:33 am
As I understand it, Sephardim don't mix fish + fairy.

Ashkenazim allow this (bagels/lox/cream cheese, anyone?). Speaking personally, we cook the two together as well.

moonstone

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 7:43 am
I wouldn't want to live in a world without bagels, lox and cream cheese. Not to mention my awesome cheesy tuna-noodle casserole!

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:38 am
I was always told that some people are careful not to eat fish and dairy together is because fish can look so similar to meat (like fried fish and shnitzel) so they don't want to make a mistake and think it's fish but really it's meat. I never thought it was Halacha, just an extra precaution some people took upon themselves.

Sadie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
I was always told that some people are careful not to eat fish and dairy together is because fish can look so similar to meat (like fried fish and shnitzel) so they don't want to make a mistake and think it's fish but really it's meat. I never thought it was Halacha, just an extra precaution some people took upon themselves.

Isn't that why chicken became meat?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 9:06 am
I'm chassidish and we don't eat fish and dairy together but we can have it in the same meal if we drink/eat something else in between. I think this is what most/many chassidim do.

AFAIK this has nothing to do with the fact that it looks like meat, IIRC it is brought down in the Shulchan Aruch under things that can endanger ones health.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 9:47 am
amother wrote:
IIRC it is brought down in the Shulchan Aruch under things that can endanger ones health.

The links cm posted say that fish and dairy does not appear the Shulchan Aruch, rather it is in the Beit Yosef.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 9:52 am
Most ashkenazim eat fish and dairy together.
My mother never heard of not until she had an Italian boarder who was shocked when she served her tuna-noodle-casserole!

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 11:25 am
Hmmm... we're Lubavitch and we eat fish with dairy... any dairy but actual milk - I.e. wouldn't drink a glass of milk along side a piece of fish but bagel wtih cream cheese and lox or a tuna melt no problem.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 12:19 pm
I had never heard of it before Imamother.
The Sefardim and Mizrahim around me eat it - mybe some Tunisians don't? The "tunisia pizza" is sometimes with tuna but no cheese...
My grandmother is from a distinguished rabbinical sefardi family tracing back to Spain and you can bet she doesn't get the no fish and dairy!

Shoshie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 1:09 pm
Some Sephardim hold by the "no fish with dairy," others don't. It just depends on where your ancestry is from.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions