Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Can my dd have an excruciating sore throat & it's allergies?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 10:57 am
My dd has had severe throat pain since last week. Of course we cultured her. It was negative. We cultured her again a few days later and still negative. She is in so much pain and her voice sounds funny. She is also running a low grade fever of about 100. The dr. is insisting that she is suffering from allergies although she never had allergies before and neither does anyone in my family suffer from allergies (BH!). It is not a mild sore throat- she is in terrible pain. So if you are familiar with allergies, does this fit the bill? No runny nose, sneezing, watery eyes ... and do you get a low grade fever with allergies?? Thank you!

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 10:59 am
You should have her tested for mono. That's what my DD had when she had mono - severe throat pain and a fever.

I get allergy throat pain, but that doesn't come with a fever.

debbie321

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 11:23 am
dont know if it helps but my pediatrician told me there isa cough virus going around

fiji

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 12:35 pm
U should check for mono bc allergies dont explain a fever. That being said ive suffered from terrible allergies for most of my life and the number one place it hits is my throat. I get TERRIBLE sore throats- I actually stayed home from school as a kid- and all from allergies.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 1:01 pm
Anon because this just happened to me and a lot of ppl know about it: I had severe, severe throat pain (owwwwW!!!!) tested negative for strep, but it turned out to be bronchitis. Sounds strange, I know but true!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 2:00 pm
It sounds like it's viral.

DD is running a low grade fever, and has a slight sore throat right now. She's also complaining of feeling light headed and dizzy when she stands up. It's definitely that time of year.

Back to school = more germs. Yay. Confused

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 2:49 pm
fiji wrote:
U should check for mono bc allergies dont explain a fever. That being said ive suffered from terrible allergies for most of my life and the number one place it hits is my throat. I get TERRIBLE sore throats- I actually stayed home from school as a kid- and all from allergies.

what do you do for the throat pain?

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 2:50 pm
debbie321 wrote:
dont know if it helps but my pediatrician told me there isa cough virus going around

she doesn't have a cough

fiji

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:42 pm
No good solution for the throat pain. If it is allergies I would recommend trying out different over the counter drugs- they work differently for different ppl. Claritin works best for me. Tea with honey and lemon is always nice, not a cure tho. If pain is rlly intolerable they make cepacol, medicated numbing cough drops...which I personally dont like but do numb the area

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:42 pm
I get terrible allergy throat pain and sinus pain. My body swells up, it's painful and I'm lethargic, but it doesn't come with fever.
Definitely do further testing and continue to take her for throat cultures too (dd's strep throat doesn't show up right away and sometimes we have to keep going back if her symptoms persist, as we don't treat unless we a confirmed positive).

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:02 pm
Thanks for all the responses. I'm not sure that I believe she really has allergies. The dr. said that there is a lot of ragweed in the air this time of year and people are suffering badly. Is anyone here suffering from this now and what are you doing about it? Do you get low grade fever?

miami85

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:39 pm
Might be tonsilitis. I've had this a lot. Unfortunately its viral so not much a doctor can do other than tell you to take pain relievers. Sometimes it can be exacerbated by acid reflux or allergies, I was put on Flonase for a while, it did seem to help reduce the nasal drip which inflamed my tonsils.

sequoia

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 9:05 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I'm not sure that I believe she really has allergies. The dr. said that there is a lot of ragweed in the air this time of year and people are suffering badly. Is anyone here suffering from this now and what are you doing about it? Do you get low grade fever?

I had sore throat and cough, didn't do anything because I knew it was allergies. Fever is pretty unusual but it could happen.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 12:33 pm
If it's with a fever, it wouldn't be allergies. Especially if no runny nose or watery eyes or any other allergy symptoms. It does not sound like an allergy at all. Most likely it's viral. Mono and CMV can both be culprits, but so can any viral tonsillitis.

I had viral tonsillitis last year that was just like what your daughter has - low fever, negative cultures, and I actually completely lost my voice for about a day and sounded hoarse before and after. The pain was so bad I could barely swallow.

I would take her to an ENT (ear nose and throat doctor) to get a second, more knowledgeable opinion.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics