Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Defrosted meat #17-What to do

Liebs

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:14 pm
I have a few meats # 17 (googled and said flank steak).
Anyone know what to do with it?
Have to get rid of it ASAP and already defrosted.
Thanks!

AlwaysThinking

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:30 pm
If it's the same cut (are you in Israel and is it from one of those bulk orders?) then I've made it delicious and falling apart in one of two ways - baking covered with any kind of pot roast recipe for four hours or so. Or in the pressure cooker for an hour. Cola roast is the most delicious recipe by far but so unhealthy.

I've also cut it into cubes and used it for cholent but I guess it's too late for that.

Liebs

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:45 pm
Yes it's from that "Beefland" order.
I have it in the freezer from ages ago and my kids didn't like it in the chulent. They had a hard time chewing it. I found #10 to be great in the chulent.
Today the new order came and I had no freezer space so defrosted it thinking would make it for supper but never got to it...so put in fridge for tomorrow.
Which recipes. Can you post an excact recipe for this meat and how to cook it. I don't know how to make pot roasts.
Thanks again!

WastingTime

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 1:54 pm
Dunno about the 17 but FYI the best meat for chulent is the 8

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 1:56 pm
Flank steak is great for shredded BBQ beef sandwiches

cbs880

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 2:34 pm
I dont live in israel and I have no idea what cut of meat #17 is. But this is my most basic recipe that always gets eaten to the last drop..I have used it for various cuts of meat and it always comes out great. the secret is cooking it low and slow. needs to be on fire for many hours on a low flame.

You will need onions. I would guess per each kilo, 1 large or 2 small onions. Slice into rounds.
Cover the bottom of your pot with a layer of oil. Put in onions, and give a generous shake of coarse kosher salt. Turn fire low and let the onions sit for abt 45 min to an hour. The onions should caramelize and release lots of liquid. (if the onions are starting to burn, your fire is too high). stir occasionally.
Once the onions are a nice shade of brown, add your meat to the pot. add some more salt on top of the meat. cover. and let it cook away on the low flame. Leave it there for hours, the longer it cooks the softer it gets. Depending on the size of the cut, it can be ready anywhere from 4 hours and up. Every once in a while pass by to stir the pot, move the top chunks of meat to the bottom,.If you are freezing it for RH, I would cook it until the fork goes into the meat but still needs to be cut with a knife. then I would let it cool and freeze it. when you reheat on RH the meat will keep cooking after it heats up, and will become fall apart soft after an hour or two on the stove.

You should have a good amount of liquid in pot since the meat releases its own juices as well. Try not to add water unless for some reason the liquid is cooking out too fast and you feel the meat will burn. usually there is no need to add any at all.
Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics