Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Thinking of moving to Lakewood

purity

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 3:51 pm
Somehow I have the crazy notion that moving to Lakewood is a good idea for a variety of reasons (Parnossa, being close to married kids, etc). I will only do this if it is good for my two kids still in grade school, which I actually think it may be. My youngest daughter is currently in 4th grade. We live OOT and she attends a large community Bais Yaakov with a very diverse student body. I'd prefer for her to be in a more homogenous environment without students from homes with secular influences. We are not classic Lakewood yeshivish in that my husband is no longer in Kollel. he is in Klal work and we have a more OOT mindset but also really resonate with pure Torah values. My DD is extremely smart and mature- she is pretty bored at school and her school is considered one of the most academic BY schools in the country. The main things I want in a school are that she will be excited and inspired, the focus is on midos, she will be challenged academically, where the class sizes aren't too big, the people are not judgemental and aren't focused on gashmius, and where she will be accepted being from the type of family that we are. Does such a school exist in Lakewood?! (I know, I know...the real question is - will she get in even if it does exist right?)

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 4:01 pm
The most academic school is Bnos Yaakov. Large classes though and would be hard to get in.

A small feel school that is easier to get in and has an OOT feel would be Bnos Penina. It is not a popular school most probably they accept kids that are not from cookie cut families.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 5:42 pm
//The main things I want in a school are that she will be excited and inspired, the focus is on midos, she will be challenged academically, where the class sizes aren't too big, the people are not judgemental and aren't focused on gashmius, and where she will be accepted being from the type of family that we are. //

lol and I want the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! no offense meant! your values are beautiful just knowing the community, I'm not sure its a completely feasible reality - although surely some things at some times...

So to be specific: excited and inspired? she will mostly need that from home.
focus on middos- ditto that
academically challenged - depends on school
class size - honey, Lakewood is a biiig town
non judgemental not focused on gashmius - ummm let me know when u find that one!
accepted - u best be working on being fine with who u are no matter what. haters gonna hate...and you gotta learn to deal

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:19 pm
Bnos Penina didn't really get a crowd so it ended up being the school that takes on the family's from chasidish/heimish backgrounds and second generation is more heimish than chasidish. Many fathers wear bekeshes and streimels on Shabbos. So if op has nothing to do with heimish it won't be a good school for her.

purity

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:30 pm
LOL yeah I want it all... I've heard Tiferes BY and Bnos Orchos Chayim may be a good fit for her. Thoughts?

amother
Seashell

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:33 pm
Tiferes Bais yaakov and bnos orchas Chaim are both the opposite of high academics. They are more into simpler families and no pressure.

If you Want academics I would say Bais Tova or bnos yaakov and maybe even Bais faiga.

purity

Post Wed, Sep 21 2016, 6:45 pm
I was told Bais Tova is "not our type". I haven't heard about Bnos Yaakov and don't really know much about Bais Faiga as a school either. When I hear Bais Faiga I think "takana no frills wedding" and assume it's all yiddish and families in learning for 30 years but I could be totally wrong!!! I like the simpler families and less pressure gashmius wise, but I don't want my daughter to be bored in school. I could skip her a grade when we move in the summer and put her in an easier school but it won't really solve the issue.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 8:07 am
I have a daughter in Bais Faiga. Bais Faiga is a big school - think 8 -10 classes per age group. It's very well run and the academics are considered pretty good. My DD was well-prepared for high school. When a school is that big, there's a broad range of types - something I love about Bais Faiga, because I feel that it's really healthy for kids to grow up not feeling like they are in a box. They have RW frum to heimish to JPF to yeshivish - it's a really nice mix. They have plenty of staff and lots of experience. It's a great school but can be hard to get into, unless you have pull of some sort.

If you are coming from OOT, though, perhaps you would find a big school like Bais Faiga to be overwhelming.

purity

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 2:45 pm
Any other suggestions? What can you tell me about Shiras Chaim? Thx!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics