Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My kid has 106 fever!!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:51 am
This child is sooooo much sick. I'm so freaked out right now. I think the thermometer made a mistake! 106.2? That's insane! He recently had 105, I thought that was crazy high, and now this? Sad

I'm going soon to the doctor but I wonder what you all say? I should do bloodwork when he's fine? Help Help

He's not even a baby. He's 3 and half. When will he outgrow this? My 20 month old is much stronger BH. It's so frustrating!!

imamazing

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:01 am
Some of my kids get very high fever every time they're sick 104/105. I think it's s nature.

Definitely call your doctor. You should also be giving Tylenol or Motrin. When my kids have high fever I alternate between each every four hours.

The medicine should bring down the fever. If not, you should head straight to your doctor.

Also, give liquids, iced, Powerade etc and wash child with lukewarm water .

Do not put your child in a cold bath. This is old school myth and can cause a febrile seizure as it shocks the body.

tryinghard

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:03 am
Have you called thte doctor? They may tell you to go to the ER, not their office

kelsorino

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:06 am
I have a child who always gets super high fever. My Dr said its okay as long as it comes down. Tylenol and motrin and a Luke warm bath (not cold!) should help. Be careful of dehydration though!

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:09 am
Put him in a cool/warm bath and give him Motrin.
Some kids tend to run much higher fevers. I would call the doctors emergency number.

momX4

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:26 am
My neighbor had a young child with 105 and it didn't break with Motrin. Dr told them to call Hatzola. Hatzola sent an ambulance and monitored the temp for 30 min while trying to cool the baby. BH they were able to get it to drop.

Having high fever can be very dangerous. Call your dr or hatzola for help.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:55 am
sometimes you need to give motrin & then tylenol in between doses ... just to bring that fever down

baths to cool them down

some kids have these high grade fevers ... check into tonsils

but this is more of an emergency if you can't get the fever to break

LiLIsraeli

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:11 am
Take him to the ER. That's a dangerously high temperature.

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:13 am
EMERGENCY ROOM, NOW!!! HATZALA. NOW!! While you are in transit, give Tylenol (if he hasn't eaten recently) and Motrin if he has. Also while in transit, offer juice.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:13 am
That is very, very dangerous.

Please take him to the ER immediately!

His fever can easily climb more, and denaturation can occur, chv.

yenta2

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:15 am
Please go to the er better save then sorry

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:49 am
???

Was the child on a fever reducing medication?

If a child has a fever of 106, please do not wait to see the doctor in his office, do not take the time to post on Imamother. Call the doctor immediately, and if the doctor cannot be reached, call hatzola.

Refuah sheleima.

(106 is beyond the range of safe body temps. I believe the cutoff is 105.5)

icebreaker

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
That is very, very dangerous.

Please take him to the ER immediately!

His fever can easily climb more, and denaturation can occur, chv.

Yes, this!

sweetpotato

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 12:11 pm
If you are using a digital thermometer (especially a non-rectal or oral thermometer) then it may not be a totally accurate reading. HOWEVER, you shouldn't assume that and you need to call the doctor's urgent line.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 12:39 pm
How are you measuring the temperature (aka, rectal, oral, in the ear, etc)?

In general, if a fever is over 105, go to the emergency room. Or, if a fever is higher than 102.5 but won't come down with fever medication, then go to the emergency room.

Also, don't give a bath without fever meds, as that can cause a temporary decrease in body temperature, but the then the temperature shoots back up because the body became 'chilled'.

In general, chlidren's motrin/advil (or whatever it's called) works better than children's tylenol.

I used to get fevers of 104 or higher well into my teenage years. My doctor recommended the flu shot, and I have never had a fever over 102.5 since. But, it's not uncommon for little kids to have high fevers - just make sure you keep them hydrated and go to the ER as needed.

Hope your little one is feeling better.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 4:49 pm
Thanks for all replies! I appreciate them all.

His fever is definitely going down BH. Of course I gave Motrin, later tylenol. I check with a digital thermometer rectal. That's the most accurate.

I went right to the doctor. I told him something doesn't make sense. This child is getting higher the fever every time , and he's not a baby. He told me to check with a old fashioned thermometer, also rectal and you read it. This thermometer is impossible to make a mistake.

And yes, he has a terrible throat. He gave me augumantin. That's a very strong medicine. Usually he gives me omnicef.

The doctor didn't seem to be concerned at all. He's a TOP pediatrician. He has tons of years of experience, he still treated me, and he's extremely skilled in his field. He almost never gets alarmed. Unless, god forbid something really serious happens he's right there , taking it seriously. He claims my son is less frequently in the office. I used to come every Monday and Thursday he said Wink

Btw, I also posted about my son having over 103 the day of his upsheren. We went from chader straight to the doctor. Surprised

The doctor keeps on saying he will outgrow it, he's not concerned AT ALL.

I have several kids , but none of them were sick that often BH.

Keep your comments coming!! Thanks so much!!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 4:54 pm
Glad the fever is going down. A number that high is certainly a bit scary.

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 6:06 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all replies! I appreciate them all.

His fever is definitely going down BH. Of course I gave Motrin, later tylenol. I check with a digital thermometer rectal. That's the most accurate.

I went right to the doctor. I told him something doesn't make sense. This child is getting higher the fever every time , and he's not a baby. He told me to check with a old fashioned thermometer, also rectal and you read it. This thermometer is impossible to make a mistake.

And yes, he has a terrible throat. He gave me augumantin. That's a very strong medicine. Usually he gives me omnicef.

The doctor didn't seem to be concerned at all. He's a TOP pediatrician. He has tons of years of experience, he still treated me, and he's extremely skilled in his field. He almost never gets alarmed. Unless, god forbid something really serious happens he's right there , taking it seriously. He claims my son is less frequently in the office. I used to come every Monday and Thursday he said Wink

Btw, I also posted about my son having over 103 the day of his upsheren. We went from chader straight to the doctor. Surprised

The doctor keeps on saying he will outgrow it, he's not concerned AT ALL.

I have several kids , but none of them were sick that often BH.

Keep your comments coming!! Thanks so much!!

What's the augmentin for? Strep?

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 8:51 pm
gold21 wrote:
What's the augmentin for? Strep?

I guess yes. He took a culture but said he's giving antibiotic anyway, I shouldn't even bother with the results.

His throat is horrible. His body was full of red rashes yesterday, doctor said it's from the strept.

My kid is giving me hell with this medicine. It's extremely hard to get it into him. He gags and vomits. I push it in, he spits out. It's a exhausting battle Sad

Omnicef he takes much better, but throat is so terrible, he needs this. Sigh.

animeme

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:22 pm
I believe augmentin comes in chewables. I don't know if they would be better tolerated. I know they helped my kid. You just ask the dr to call in the chewables, and then you can try them, and if it doesn't work you go back to the liquid.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics