Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
My kid has 106 fever!!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:27 pm
animeme wrote:
I believe augmentin comes in chewables. I don't know if they would be better tolerated. I know they helped my kid. You just ask the dr to call in the chewables, and then you can try them, and if it doesn't work you go back to the liquid.

Thanks! That's a good idea. I doubt he will take it though.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:45 pm
amother wrote:
I guess yes. He took a culture but said he's giving antibiotic anyway, I shouldn't even bother with the results.

His throat is horrible. His body was full of red rashes yesterday, doctor said it's from the strept.

My kid is giving me hell with this medicine. It's extremely hard to get it into him. He gags and vomits. I push it in, he spits out. It's a exhausting battle Sad

Omnicef he takes much better, but throat is so terrible, he needs this. Sigh.

Lay him on the floor on his back and hold his mouth open with one hand and drop the medicine in with the other hand.
It's horrible but it's the only way they can't spit it out.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 9:59 pm
amother wrote:
Lay him on the floor on his back and hold his mouth open with one hand and drop the medicine in with the other hand.

EXACTLY This is what I'm doing!! He spits it out, I force it back in. He spits , I push back, a battle until hopefully it goes in.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:15 pm
I sometimes mix medicine into something yummy I.e. ice cream, kool aid,apple sauce etc..

animeme

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:

When I did that to my kids, they threw up...

I agree about mixing with something else. Also, you can ask the dr if mixing it with carbonation/soda is a problem for the medicine. It might be, but if not I find it often goes down better that way.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:20 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
I sometimes mix medicine into something yummy I.e. ice cream, kool aid,apple sauce etc..

I must make sure he takes it. I tried putting it in bottles. He realized it's different and didn't want it. I doubt he'll take it in food.

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:29 pm
amother wrote:
EXACTLY This is what I'm doing!! He spits it out, I force it back in. He spits , I push back, a battle until hopefully it goes in.

This method should only be used as a last resort.

Please, for the sake of your child, try something a little less traumatic first.

What I personally do, is I put on a video on my phone- distraction is the absolute best method- and then the child usually is so enamored by the video, he takes the medication easily.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:29 pm
try mixing with ices, ices cream, chocolate milk ...what ever he likes. And make sure to give him the medicine when he is under the pain killer. He will take it better. How much fever does he have now?

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
I guess yes. He took a culture but said he's giving antibiotic anyway, I shouldn't even bother with the results.

His throat is horrible. His body was full of red rashes yesterday, doctor said it's from the strept.

My kid is giving me hell with this medicine. It's extremely hard to get it into him. He gags and vomits. I push it in, he spits out. It's a exhausting battle Sad

Omnicef he takes much better, but throat is so terrible, he needs this. Sigh.

He had not shown signs of strep prior to the reading of 106? He didn't have a lower fever for a few days prior? Just trying to understand.

If he reacts like that to strep, an immediate temp of 106, there's not much you can do. Sad

However, if it climbs slowly, you should try to be extra vigilant and look out for symptoms before it gets this bad. Tongue Out

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 10:59 pm
gold21 wrote:

Please, for the sake of your child, try something a little less traumatic first.

What I personally do, is I put on a video on my phone- distraction is the absolute best method- and then the child usually is so enamored by the video, he takes the medication easily.

Trust me nobody who resorts to this is doing it as a first resort. It's horrible to do this but if it's the only way to get your child to take medicine you have no choice.
I disagree with mixing with food because I know my child would never finish the whole thing thus not taking her full dose of medicine. If she's sick she's not interested in eating ice cream or anything else.
If it's done properly and the mouth is held open there's no way they can spit it out.
Bh I don't have experience with my daughter throwing it up.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:05 pm
gold21 wrote:

Exactly. This is my last resort. He's a EXTREMELY STUBBORN CHILD!

Of course I tried with videos as well. Motrin he takes nicely with video. And whoever asked, yes I give first pain killers and wait until he has no fever, and than I give the medicine.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:11 pm
gold21 wrote:
He had not shown signs of strep prior to the reading of 106? He didn't have a lower fever for a few days prior? Just trying to understand.

If he reacts like that to strep, an immediate temp of 106, there's not much you can do. Sad

However, if it climbs slowly, you should try to be extra vigilant and look out for symptoms before it gets this bad. Tongue Out

He started out with less fever of course. Lets say 102 -103. I thought I'll wait another day and go to the doctor the second day. Today I was already running to the doctor.

I'm not running the first day cuz lots of times it's viral and it goes away by itself. I'm not rushing the first day , otherwise I can live at the doctor. Very Happy

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:13 pm
amother wrote:
Trust me nobody who resorts to this is doing it as a first resort. It's horrible to do this but if it's the only way to get your child to take medicine you have no choice.
I disagree with mixing with food because I know my child would never finish the whole thing thus not taking her full dose of medicine. If she's sick she's not interested in eating ice cream or anything else.
If it's done properly and the mouth is held open there's no way they can spit it out.
Bh I don't have experience with my daughter throwing it up.

I agree. He'll never take the entire dose with food. No 2 ways about it. I must see it should go in his mouth. He's not eating anything anyway.

It's done properly, and still he spits out!! Believe me!!!

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:22 pm
I heard that grape juice nutrilizes the taste of yucky medicine.
Worth a try.

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:38 pm
Can you get him to just take a little bit at a time? How about with a dropper? I would think that it is not safe to lay a child on his or her back and pour medicine down his or her throat! Refuah Shalaima!
I also wanted to point something out about fevers (and of course a disclaimer is that I'm not a medical professional). I'm assuming that the 106 was probably not with a rectal thermometer so it may have actually been lower. Regardless, he had a high temperature. Generally, fevers above 105 require you to call your child's doctor or head to an ER right away because the body's hypothalamus regulates temperature and does not allow a fever to exceed 105 degrees. (Obviously each parent knows his or her own child and can decide if an immediate visit to the pediatrician or ER is warranted even with lower fever.) If a child's fever has exceeded 105 degrees, it could mean that something in the hypothalamus is not functioning properly or is damaged (which could suggest certain serious infections ch'v) and needs to be immediately addressed (as would heat stroke). Also, when your child's temperature is that high, making sure that he isn't dressed too warmly or covered in thick blankets is important (as is giving tylenol and/or motrin if appropriate). Do not give your child a cold bath because shivering actually increases temperature or a bath with alcohol because they actually can cool the body down too quickly which can spike temperature too quickly. REFUAH SHALAIMA AGAIN!

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:
He started out with less fever of course. Lets say 102 -103. I thought I'll wait another day and go to the doctor the second day. Today I was already running to the doctor.

I'm not running the first day cuz lots of times it's viral and it goes away by itself. I'm not rushing the first day , otherwise I can live at the doctor. Very Happy

Wow. His fever really shoots up quickly. That is so challenging to cope with.

Refuah sheleima.

gold21

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:51 pm
amother wrote:
Exactly. This is my last resort. He's a EXTREMELY STUBBORN CHILD!

Of course I tried with videos as well. Motrin he takes nicely with video. And whoever asked, yes I give first pain killers and wait until he has no fever, and than I give the medicine.

Oy...

Sad

Refuah sheleima

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 22 2016, 11:55 pm
There are also pharmacies that will compound medicines into lollipops and such things. Find out if a pharmacy near you does that. They are particular effective for children who have oral thrush or other mouth diseases and nausea. It may work for a child who refuses medication too. Hatzlacha!

First Lady

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 12:03 am
This may help:

https://www.google.com/search?.....=shop

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Sep 23 2016, 4:43 am
My 3.5 year old hates taking medicine, and if your force her, she throws it back up. So I bribe her to take medicine - I.e., if you take the medicine, afterwards you get ice cream / chocolate / a video / a new toy (small ones from the dollar store). I'd rather spend a bit of money and temporarily spoil her rotten than fight with her about the medicine. . .
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics