Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
I like the kids magazines better than the 'real' ones

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 10:26 pm
Just curious if anyone else was the same? I subscribe to Binah, Hamodia & Mishpacha (used to get Ami too until I discovered it wasn't something I wanted in my house) - the first thing I always rip open to read are the kids magazines! (I dont read ALL of it but definitely enjoy learning new things like the features in mishpacha junior and other columns) then I move on to the 'grown up' magazines. maybe its because I like non fiction and true information? I love the lifelines column in mishpacha for this reason (first 'grown up' column I consistently read.)

zigi

Post Sat, Sep 24 2016, 11:50 pm
I love aim! its my favorite part of ami. I like to read binah bunch and mishpacha jr too. I like the interviews of interesting people and places and when they go in depth about topics. do you also like zman?

agreer

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 12:08 am
I love bina between! I think the articles are super-interesting, if not random, and more uplifting than the sometimes depressing stories of real life in the regular magazine. (I still like binah a lot)

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 1:12 am
Lol dh is obsessed with aim, finds the regular mags boring. Personally, I can read anything. Cereal box, shampoo bottle, you name it. But I think the kids are easier reading for a few reasons:
1. Lots of humor/ light tone
2. More leeway in terms of topics cuz not so concerned with things like depth and life lessons
3. Shorter articles with cuter, better graphics

No wonder so many of us like the kids stuff better!

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 1:18 am
I agree that the kids' magazines often have more interesting informative pieces on topics in science, technology, social studies, and trivia. I do enjoy them.

Don't know if I'd pick favorites between the kids' and adults' magazines but I definitely enjoy the package deal. I like the teen articles, too.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 1:29 am
I love the aim! Depending on my mood, once in awhile I end up reading it first.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 2:01 am
I was thinking of signing up for the e-edition of the Ami since it's cheaper, at only $99 (does it still exist?). But once I realized that it doesn't include the Aim, one of my favorite parts of the magazine (plus the cost of the paper and toner, if it's even printable, to read on Shabbos), it wasn't worth it to me.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Sep 25 2016, 7:36 am
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! and yes I also enjoy zman - they present some heavy topics in an easy to read way, like suddenly I'm even interested in politics! howeeeevver, that one time a couple of years ago they had a true story about an entire school bus that was kidnapped and buried alive... I was absolutely terrified. after reading it, I tore out those pages. I didn't want my kids to read the story - as it was, I had nightmares for a few nights.

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 8:56 am
I also thought about the subscription but without aim not worth it. lol for a while it seems that the articles were based on bbc documentaries that I had watched on amazon. the London underground etc. I loved the weird sports that used to be too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room