Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
When to say birkat hagomel after birth?

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 9:54 am
Is there a time when a woman can say this in shul?

pesek zman

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:04 am
I said it immediately after davening on the Shabbos of my baby's kiddish (first Shabbos after she was born)

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:16 am
I said it the first time I made it to shul, Shabbos mincha almost two months after dd was born. The earlier the better, but I was davka avoiding crowds with a winter newborn.

Miri7

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:40 am
Yes, in my shul women say it the first time they come to shul after the birth. The new father is given an aliyah, then the woman bentches gomel then. Some women have their husbands say it for them on their first trip to shul after the birth, though that is less common and it's preferred in our community that the woman fulfill her obligation herself.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 12:13 pm
How is it said? Out loud in front of everyone?

Iymnok

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 12:29 pm
At the bris fir a boy, I believe within a month for a girl. I have popped into Shul after maariv, said the brocha in front of a minyan, then went home.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 2:51 pm
I wish I had said this at my son's brit :-(

The Rabbi never said anything to me about it.

Anyway, now I have a 7 week old daughter and there is no eruv where I live. Should I go to shul on a weekday?

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 3:07 pm
You could go on a weekday- Monday or Thursday for Shacharit if you prefer your husband to get an aliyah. Otherwise, you don't need an eruv on RH.

bsy

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 5:20 pm
Not everyone says gomel. I was told go to shul and hear my husband's aliyah and that's it. I went when my baby was 5 weeks.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:30 am
The husband says it at the first occasion, for the wife. She doesn't need to attend.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:52 am
Ruchel wrote:
The husband says it at the first occasion, for the wife. She doesn't need to attend.

Seriously, I've only ever heard about this here on Imamother. Women in my shul, say hagomel at the same time men do during Kriat Hatorah, or at the end of davening. Many women (me included) prefer to say hagomel at the brit or kiddush, or at any other gathering when a minyan is present. Why would my husband say hagomel for me? Did he deliver the baby for me?

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:53 am
amother wrote:
How is it said? Out loud in front of everyone?

The woman stands next to the mechitza and says it out loud - everyone answers.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:53 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Seriously, I've only ever heard about this here on Imamother. Women in my shul, say hagomel at the same time men do during Kriat Hatorah, or at the end of davening. Many women (me included) prefer to say hagomel at the brit or kiddush, or at any other gathering when a minyan is present. Why would my husband say hagomel for me? Did he deliver the baby for me?

Come see here lol you'll see women in pants/not shomer whose husband do it Smile

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:58 am
Ruchel wrote:
Come see here lol you'll see women in pants/not shomer whose husband do it Smile

IME leniency on women's chiyuv-obligatioin in mitzvot many times correlates with other not entirely halachic practices due to leniency, indifference, or ignorance.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:59 am
You can also see those in thick tights and double covering Smile

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:06 am
Ruchel wrote:
You can also see those in thick tights and double covering Smile

Don't get me started, yes many aspects of chassidish practice do not adhere to halacha - especially regarding women's observance.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 4:29 am
I often relate a lot to the way chassidish women observe and see beauty and protection in it.
But again what I tried to say (am I tired? LOL) is that you'll see it here anywhere from non shomer mitzvos but somehow wanted to do gomel, to the strictest levels - different edot, too. I like like this.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions