Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Guests of honor at a dinner, what to wear?

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 1:12 pm
My husband and I will be among the guests of honor at an upcoming fancy dinner. I am probably considered a plus size. Where to go and what to wear? Can't afford too much.

TIA

Adela

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 1:36 pm
https://www.dressbarn.com/miss.....pp=24
Dressbarn has Beautiful plus size dresses for very reasonable prices.

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 1:43 pm
Please explain more about the type of event.
Is it black tie? shul/school dinner?

To dinners, even the ones we've been honored I usually go in nice Shabbat clothes

If it's black tie, then a modest "little black dress" with heels nice jewelry

Go through your closet first, it would be a shame to buy something when you may have something appropriate.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 3:49 pm
It's probably considered black tie--I think more than Shabbos, but not sure its quite wedding. I want to look good, not sure I have anything that really works at the moment.

This is a special occasion for us and I want to feel good. Can anyone recommend an actual store where I won't feel like a neb just for walking in b/c everything it just "cut small".

singleagain

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 5:06 pm
I second Dress Barn. Very nice clothing for decent prices.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 8:38 pm
I'd say dress barn too. Or maybe even fox's.

spring13

Post Mon, Sep 26 2016, 10:51 pm
I'm bordering on plus size and got a beautiful dress from eShakti.com for when I was honored at my shul dinner. It was a style that looked great, but wouldn't have if it didn't fit perfectly. They have a huge variety of sizes, but you can also give them your own measurements to get a really good fit, and you can adjust hem length, sleeves, and neckline for most items.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:59 am
I'm European/less fancy, but I was in this case and I did a nice black knee length skirt and a fancy top. Gowns are for kallot Wink your husband can wear a jacket and a tie or MAYBE even a vest under.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:46 pm
So I was at this event last year, and noticed that the female-honorees were wearing "NICE" simcha-wear. I've gotten from Eshakti in the past--but to me that style is still too casual. Also, its frustrating not seeing their clothing on "bigger" models, so of course everything looks amazing on the models--but not on my body shape. I know that I have "time" now, but the time will fly and EShakti takes a while. I will keep my eye on Dress Barn, but my experience is that the "secular" style doesn't work well with this type of event--something is too sheer, too short, too bust-emphasizing. I'm not the only plus-size frum woman under 35, where can I get affordable clothing for this event? I'm going to be in pictures, I want to look good and confident in what I'm wearing.

MamaBear

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 2:49 pm
This is the type of thing where you can wear all black and go buy awesome accessories, spend money on getting your sheitel done if you wear one, new shoes in maybe a fun color (like a deep fuschia and then wear matching lipstick) etc Have fun with it

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 3:19 pm
The thing is that most of my simcha wear is from before I had my 3rd child and my shape has shifted. I don't really have a go-to "little black dress" outfit right now, and wanted to update my collection. This is a big event in my life and I'm budgeting in my mind something new for it. I mean when I attended the event last year, I did just that--wore a black dress, and a cool scarf. Now I'm one of the honorees, I want something special.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics