Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
No Caffine before YK, question

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 11:51 am
How early do I need to start abstaining from caffine
I'm writing this while drinking an ex large cup of coffee, my 2nd for the day, and eating chocolate.

If there's a way to cut back slowly and it's not too late, let me know.

It's just for the fast, as soon as it's over I intend to go back to drinking my 2-3 cups a day, ex large of course.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:01 pm
Start right now, why not? Especially if you're not able to go cold turkey, the further ahead you start cutting back, the easier the transition will be. Or you could go to the pharmacy and ask how to get caffeine suppositories that will keep you tanked up through the fast. I don't know if you need a prescription for these. There are also aspirin suppositories if withdrawal involves not your nerves but just a headache.

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:07 pm
so we torture ourselves not drinking coffee for how long - to replace 1 day of a fast ? no comprende

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:14 pm
greenfire wrote:
so we torture ourselves not drinking coffee for how long - to replace 1 day of a fast ? no comprende
oo

I was smarter for Tisha Bav.
Only had 1 small cup a day the month before,
Only decaf 3 days before, NO HEADACHES😀

Do I have to be so strict

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:15 pm
amother wrote:
Start right now, why not? Especially if you're not able to go cold turkey, the further ahead you start cutting back, the easier the transition will be. Or you could go to the pharmacy and ask how to get caffeine suppositories that will keep you tanked up through the fast. I don't know if you need a prescription for these. There are also aspirin suppositories if withdrawal involves not your nerves but just a headache.

Can't get them here. Not NY.
Is there a way to order on line?

cm

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:18 pm
greenfire wrote:

I'm not a caffeine fiend, but probably the point is to wean off of it gently with the assistance of food, drink or medicine so you don't have to suffer from withdrawal on a fast day.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:24 pm
cm wrote:
I'm not a caffeine fiend, but probably the point is to wean off of it gently with the assistance of food, drink or medicine so you don't have to suffer from withdrawal on a fast day.

So how strict do I have to be?
It's about 15 days before YK

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:29 pm
ok, ok, listen up. I have to tell you the biggest secret of the world: Keep drinking your xl coffees. Drink three a day if you want. Don't change a thing. The night before the fast, drink double the caffeine you normally have in a day. This is such a game changer. First of all, you don't have to suffer for a week/month withdrawling from caffine. Second of all, this method completley eliminates my headache on the fast day and I feel great. I have never had a problem falling asleep the night of the fast, don't ask why. My siblings and parents (fellow coffeholics) do this as well and we love it!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:53 pm
amother wrote:
ok, ok, listen up. I have to tell you the biggest secret of the world: Keep drinking your xl coffees. Drink three a day if you want. Don't change a thing. The night before the fast, drink double the caffeine you normally have in a day. This is such a game changer. First of all, you don't have to suffer for a week/month withdrawling from caffine. Second of all, this method completley eliminates my headache on the fast day and I feel great. I have never had a problem falling asleep the night of the fast, don't ask why. My siblings and parents (fellow coffeholics) do this as well and we love it!!

Sorry I tried this one year didnt help, by 1 pm my head was pounding.

I did it smartly before Tisha Be'AV and it worked.
Also, hydrated well.
Coconut water, bone broth,
I took a slow release Advil, as well

Other years I did all the above and didn't taper down the Caffine. Got terrible headaches.

My question is, do I need to be so strict.
Being that I'm starting so late do I need to go cold turkey.
Can going cold turkey wait till after tzom gedalia.
I can wake up early before the fast and have my fix.

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:57 pm
I you swallow pills on YK, take a caffeine tablet on YK morning.

esther09

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:

Sigh, this method used to be my biggest savior. I can't drink coffee at night anymore, personally, it'll keep me up. But, anyone that can, do this!!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 1:16 pm
This past year I went decaf a week before Tisha B'av. No headaches, and a fringe benefit - I've stayed decaf. Got used to it. It was tough the first 2 days and that's it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:05 pm
The Toronto Kollel (R' Shlomo Miller) sells slow release caffeine pills. Also Tylenol and advil. They work extremely well. If no one sells them where you live, do everyone a chessed and become a distributor. You can probably give them a call. They usually advertise in the yated or Hamodia before the fast.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note