Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
My first time!!! And we have 10 guests!!!! :)

pond user

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:22 pm
So, although we've bh been married for 3 years, this Rosh Hashana is the very first time we will be in our own home for a yom tov meal. (And I'm really excited!!!)

We are hosting one evening meal for 6 adults and 6 children (ages between 2 and 6) and I am in search of an easy but delicious menu. I will be baking challos, half regular and half with raisins and honey. I'm looking for interesting starters, salad and fish recipes as well as a nice chicken recipe and easy dessert. Also is soup necessary?

Bare in mind I'm mid way through a second pregnancy with a toddler underfoot Wink so would really love if things weren't too complicated. Smile

Thanks experienced ladies.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:42 pm
Number one see if your guests can bring over dessert, salads etc. That will help.

rainbow dash

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:44 pm
I'm making salmon in the pot of water with spices and sugar. Gefillta fish, chicken soup, meat either chicken or tounge or Turkey roll. Potato kugel, beans, salad and Compot.

Seas

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:46 pm
Minute steak or the like (braising and others), put in pot with water to cover together with salt, pepper and a few bay leaves. Add some thyme too if you like. Cook for a few hours and they're delicious.

Any pickled meat just needs cooking for several hours in water to cover and you're good to go.

Baby potatoes tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, roasted in the oven for a few hours.

Pasta is simple and easy, and is delicious with fried onion, cabbage or fried breadcrumbs (brazel).

Seas

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:47 pm
Baked salmon with a bit of olive oil, salt, and dill - simple and tasty.

tichellady

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 5:54 pm
I can't give recipes because I don't follow them but some ideas that incorporate simanim: (no you don't need soup, fish, salads, and chicken/meat)
pumpkin soup, Zuchinni leek soup, Moroccan carrot salad, spinach salad with dried dates, pomegranate, Apple, walnuts, and Silan or pomegranate dressing, honey chicken with garlic and lemon, pomegranate roast beef, oven baked rice, roasted snap peas with Garlic, Apple cake or Apple pie, honey cookies,

naomi2

Post Tue, Sep 27 2016, 6:17 pm
Why not try a small piece of salmon with sesame noodles underneath ( make extra for the kiddies)
No soup
Roast
Sesame chicken
2 veggies side dish like a roasted vegetable or kugel or salad
Starch side like rice, orzo, mashed potato with onions, or cook potatoes with the roast
Dessert

This is a sample menu you can pick and choose. Just remember that the second night you can't prepare till late so everything has to be cooked and defrosted before. So you can just warm it quickly

pond user

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:33 am
tichellady wrote:
I can't give recipes because I don't follow them but some ideas that incorporate simanim: (no you don't need soup, fish, salads, and chicken/meat)
pumpkin soup, Zuchinni leek soup, Moroccan carrot salad, spinach salad with dried dates, pomegranate, Apple, walnuts, and Silan or pomegranate dressing, honey chicken with garlic and lemon, pomegranate roast beef, oven baked rice, roasted snap peas with Garlic, Apple cake or Apple pie, honey cookies,

I know you day you don't have recipes but what would I put into a zucchini leek soup? And also like the sound of the honey chicken but wouldn't know where to begin! embarrassed

pond user

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:35 am
naomi2 wrote:
Why not try a small piece of salmon with sesame noodles underneath ( make extra for the kiddies)
No soup
Roast
Sesame chicken
2 veggies side dish like a roasted vegetable or kugel or salad
Starch side like rice, orzo, mashed potato with onions, or cook potatoes with the roast
Dessert

This is a sample menu you can pick and choose. Just remember that the second night you can't prepare till late so everything has to be cooked and defrosted before. So you can just warm it quickly

Sesame salmon with noodles sounds delicious. How would I make that though?

pond user

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 3:42 am
Ok so one guest has offered to bring a salad and the other dessert. (How convenient Smile)
I also like that spinach salad and pomegranate idea.

So here's what in thinking!
Salmon on sesame noodles (if I figure it out!)
Gefilte fish boiled (this one I know how to do Very Happy)
Spinach salad plus salad from guest #1
Zucchini and leek soup
Honey and lemon chicken with roast potatoes and other roasted veggies.
Frued onion/cabbage pasta salad (is there a specific recipe for this?)
Dessert from guest #2 but will probably bake honey biscuits as well to go with tea.

Does this sound nice? Or too simple?

PS this is so helpful so thank you all of you lovely people.

naomi2

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:34 am
For the salmon and noodles
Bake salmon pieces or half pieces with a little teriyaki sauce.
Boil thin noodles, rinse, drain. Toss noodles with soy sauce, sesame oil, a bit of honey, sesame seeds and optional scallions. For measurements Google sesame noodles or Asian noodles. Put noodles on each plate and top with a piece of fish. Since its plated you may not need gefilta fish also.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:15 am
First of all, thank you for being happy about this mitzvah.
Second, have some kid friendly things just in case.
I would buy a small bag of chicken nuggets, just in case.

Remember you have all the simanim in the beginning, so that may be your starter.

We are Sepharadim so we do A LOT of simanim
Challah
Leek patties
Swiss chard balls (not to be confused with the patties)
Pumpkin (mini pumpkin pie without the crust)
Black eye peas in tomato sauce
Date
pomogranite
Apple
Banana (for the bet hamikdash)
Fish head

Raisins and celery (raise in salary)
Manderine oranges ( in Spanish manda harina, meaning bring the flour (dough), for parnasah)
The last 2 are just cute

This is a meal in itself

But maybe you don't have so many simanim

Here's an easy salmon that tastes great
Salmon with pepper slaw and oranges
Sliced salmon pieces
Salt and pepper
Teriyaki sauce
Pour bake. Do not over bake.

Seperate. Best if done 1 day ahead.
Thinly slice different color peppers and red onions.
Take a can manderine orange whole segment.
Reserve the juice and the segments seperately.
To the juice add rice vinegar ( if you don't use then use orange juice)
Marinate the peppers and onions in this.

When you serve take a plater put down the pepper slaw on the edges. Place the warm salmon in the middle. Sprinkle the orange segments around. Drizzle the marinade.

Here's my menu for the first night
Simanim
Salmon with pepper slaw
BIG green salad with honey mustard dressing
little salads, heart of Palm with baby tomato and avocado
Kohl Rabi Waldorf salad (kohl Rabi cubed, celery, cashews, Waldorf dressing Google search)
Red cabbage with pomogranite seeds in a sweet vinegrette
Chumus
Guacamole

Shank meat with chesnuts in pomogranite sauce.
Rice with sautéed noodles
Spinach in coconut cream (super easy)
Brussel sprouts, sautéed served with sliced almonds
Chicken nuggets for the kids (extra cause adults also like)

Dessert - cubed fruit, one guest is bringing homemade icecream, the other another dessert don't know what.

With the simanim it's just too much food.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:16 am
naomi2 wrote:
For the salmon and noodles
Bake salmon pieces or half pieces with a little teriyaki sauce.
Boil thin noodles, rinse, drain. Toss noodles with soy sauce, sesame oil, a bit of honey, sesame seeds and optional scallions. For measurements Google sesame noodles or Asian noodles. Put noodles on each plate and top with a piece of fish. Since its plated you may not need gefilta fish also.

Oooh salmon sounds delicious.

pond user

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 4:08 pm
cbg wrote:
First of all, thank you for being happy about this mitzvah.
Second, have some kid friendly things just in case.
I would buy a small bag of chicken nuggets, just in case.

Remember you have all the simanim in the beginning, so that may be your starter.

We are Sepharadim so we do A LOT of simanim
Challah
Leek patties
Swiss chard balls (not to be confused with the patties)
Pumpkin (mini pumpkin pie without the crust)
Black eye peas in tomato sauce
Date
pomogranite
Apple
Banana (for the bet hamikdash)
Fish head

Raisins and celery (raise in salary)
Manderine oranges ( in Spanish manda harina, meaning bring the flour (dough), for parnasah)
The last 2 are just cute

This is a meal in itself

But maybe you don't have so many simanim

Here's an easy salmon that tastes great
Salmon with pepper slaw and oranges
Sliced salmon pieces
Salt and pepper
Teriyaki sauce
Pour bake. Do not over bake.

Seperate. Best if done 1 day ahead.
Thinly slice different color peppers and red onions.
Take a can manderine orange whole segment.
Reserve the juice and the segments seperately.
To the juice add rice vinegar ( if you don't use then use orange juice)
Marinate the peppers and onions in this.

When you serve take a plater put down the pepper slaw on the edges. Place the warm salmon in the middle. Sprinkle the orange segments around. Drizzle the marinade.

Here's my menu for the first night
Simanim
Salmon with pepper slaw
BIG green salad with honey mustard dressing
little salads, heart of Palm with baby tomato and avocado
Kohl Rabi Waldorf salad (kohl Rabi cubed, celery, cashews, Waldorf dressing Google search)
Red cabbage with pomogranite seeds in a sweet vinegrette
Chumus
Guacamole

Shank meat with chesnuts in pomogranite sauce.
Rice with sautéed noodles
Spinach in coconut cream (super easy)
Brussel sprouts, sautéed served with sliced almonds
Chicken nuggets for the kids (extra cause adults also like)

Dessert - cubed fruit, one guest is bringing homemade icecream, the other another dessert don't know what.

With the simanim it's just too much food.

Oh my goodness this sounds delicious! Will definitely try some of your salads and fish. My husband is actually sephardi but doesn't do all those simanim just 2 so we get off a little lightly. I'm so looking forward to this!

tichellady

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 4:47 pm
pond user wrote:
I know you day you don't have recipes but what would I put into a zucchini leek soup? And also like the sound of the honey chicken but wouldn't know where to begin! embarrassed

you can base the soup off of this one from by cookbook:
garlic head
2 TBS olive oil
5 leeks, sliced halfway length wise, cleaned well, then sliced thinly (discard the dark green part)
4-5 white onions diced
6 zucchini peeled and diced
8 cups water
1/4 C chicken soup mix
1/4 C vegetable soup mix
1-2 TBS salt instead of the soup mix

Preheat oven to 350. slice off top of garlic and place it on foil. Drizzle some olive oil on garlic and seal it in foil. Place on pan and roast for 1 hour.

meanwhile place 2 TBS olive oil in 6 qt pot over medium heat. add leeks and onions, saute. Add zucchini, water, soup mix or salt. bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 min.

Remove garlic from oven and cool. Pop out cloves into the soup. Blend the soup.

I add

I add 1 potato and basil and lemon juice, nutritional yeast, white wine and don't use that nearly that much soup mix and use less onions. If you want to garnish it with leeks then saute a few more and take them out and save them for garnish.

Honey chicken- something like this. I baked my chicken covered for a long time because that's how we like it. we only eat dark meat, this would dry white meat out

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitc.....cken/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus