Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Fasting Yom Kippur during pregnancy.
1  2  Next

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:24 am
Hi ladies. This is my first pregnancy and I'm a little nervous about fasting since I do faint a lot , throw up and get very nauseous when I don't eat. Mind sharing ways you dealt with fasting during pregnancy?

mamita

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 6:28 am
Lie down and stay that way the entire fast. It really makes a huge difference.
Lots of light veggie soup and salads week before.
Speak to your Rabbi. Speak to your Rabbi Speak to your Rabbi!!! For any info symptoms etc you should be aware of or you are wary of and what you should do in each situation.
Have an easy fast. And an easy healthy pregnancy and birth bezrat Hashem

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:08 am
mamita wrote:
Lie down and stay that way the entire fast. It really makes a huge difference.
Lots of light veggie soup and salads week before.
Speak to your Rabbi. Speak to your Rabbi Speak to your Rabbi!!! For any info symptoms etc you should be aware of or you are wary of and what you should do in each situation.
Have an easy fast. And an easy healthy pregnancy and birth bezrat Hashem

This.
Also how far along are you? With one pregnancy I was at risk of going into pre term labor I was about 5.5 months along and was very sick. I was told to do shiurim from the minute I woke up until the minute the fast was over. Unless I was asleep.

smile12345

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:40 am
Yes you should ask your Rabbi - sometimes there are cases where shiurim are required so that you won't end up having to completely break your fast.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:47 am
I remember being very nervous about Yom Kippur when I was pg with my youngest DD, conceived after a long long wait of IF. I drank loads of powerade on Erev Yom Kippur to keep myself hydrated. I spent Yom Kippur at home sitting on the couch, barely getting up. I davened seated. It was actually the best day of my entire pregnancy - the combination of no food and sitting put had the effect of me not being nauseous. Maybe it was the only day I did not throw up for 9 months.

Wishing you an easy and meaningful Yom Kippur.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:52 am
It really depends on each person. Make sure your doctor says you are safe to fast and the speak with a rabbi to discuss how you will manage and what to do if you feel sick.
I'm at risk of preterm labor and still too early to deliver (24 weeks) so I was told I can't fast. I have to discuss with my rav exactly how this should be done.
I'm most nervous because DH will be in shul all day and I'll be home alone with a child and what will I do if I need help.

essie14

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:52 am
Speak to your doctor and rabbi
I cannot fast this Yom Kippur.
Having a terrible pregnancy. If I don't drink and eat throughout the night I get really sick and end up in the ER

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:00 am
amother wrote:
It really depends on each person. Make sure your doctor says you are safe to fast and the speak with a rabbi to discuss how you will manage and what to do if you feel sick.
I'm at risk of preterm labor and still too early to deliver (24 weeks) so I was told I can't fast. I have to discuss with my rav exactly how this should be done.
I'm most nervous because DH will be in shul all day and I'll be home alone with a child and what will I do if I need help.

Do you have the option to get together with someone else for Yom Kippur? When my kids were young my sister used to come to me for Yom Kippur with her kids, and we'd switch off going to shul when we could, or we'd just fast together....two is company and it can be easier.

It sounds like maybe you shouldn't be alone for the whole day, if possible.

When I was fasting and pg, my Rav gave me very specific instructions as to when and how I should break my fast - like if I feel light-headed, dizzy, etc...B"H I was okay.

Also, that year DH came home during a break to check on me.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:05 am
amother wrote:

it is more important for your dh to stay home and help you so that you should fast as well as you can than for you not to fast.
I am sure your rabbi will say the same.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:06 am
smile12345 wrote:
Yes you should ask your Rabbi - sometimes there are cases where shiurim are required so that you won't end up having to completely break your fast.
yes I ate with shiurim.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:11 am
I'm so nervous! This is my first pregnancy and last week I dehydrated after walking a half hour on Shabbos (in nice weather) right after waking and eating nothing, then standing in a stuffy house for a bris for another 20 mins. This is exactly what is going to happen to me on Yom Kippur... Walking to shul without any food, sitting in a stuffy shul all day, I just hope not the dehydrating part especailly with my DH in Shul the whole day.... Any tips appreciated!

shluchamom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:15 am
amother wrote:
I'm so nervous! This is my first pregnancy and last week I dehydrated after walking a half hour on Shabbos (in nice weather) right after waking and eating nothing, then standing in a stuffy house for a bris for another 20 mins. This is exactly what is going to happen to me on Yom Kippur... Walking to shul without any food, sitting in a stuffy shul all day, I just hope not the dehydrating part especailly with my DH in Shul the whole day.... Any tips appreciated!

Yes tip# 1. Don't go to shul. That isn't a halachik requirement while fasting is
2. Drink a lot in the days leading up to the fast including a powerade or gatorade type drink.

Have an easy fast and a smooth pregnancy.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:24 am
shluchamom wrote:
Yes tip# 1. Don't go to shul. That isn't a halachik requirement while fasting is
2. Drink a lot in the days leading up to the fast including a powerade or gatorade type drink.

Have an easy fast and a smooth pregnancy.

Thanks, drinking yes but not go to shul?? How will I feel Yom Kippur? By babysitting my siblings and neices and nephews in my mother's house? (Yes I know that will be a big chessed...).

smile12345

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:27 am
amother wrote:

Someone who is pregnant is not supposed to go out in the heat on YK.
I was told last time to stay in bed the whole day so won't have to break my fast.
Fasting is more important than going to daven.
Ask your Rabbi.

Last edited by smile12345 on Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total

bookie

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
Thanks, drinking yes but not go to shul?? How will I feel Yom Kippur? By babysitting my siblings and neices and nephews in my mother's house? (Yes I know that will be a big chessed...).

no you should not be babysitting, you should be spending the day in bed or on the couch not moving

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:34 am
Thanks but I'm very capable. Only 4 mnths. My 2 married sisters are also PG and far ahead of me and they have other kids (I don't). One is actually due on Yom Kippur!So I dont mind helping.
On the other hand if I am in bed the whole day I can do Chesbon HaNefesh kind of thing in peace...

smile12345

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
Thanks but I'm very capable. Only 4 mnths. My 2 married sisters are also PG and far ahead of me and they have other kids (I don't). One is actually due on Yom Kippur!So I dont mind helping.
On the other hand if I am in bed the whole day I can do Chesbon HaNefesh kind of thing in peace...

I'm sure you've very capable. But, you have to put your fasting requirement before theirs. (And btw nearer the beginning you have to be more careful.) Ask your Rabbi...

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:40 am
smile12345 wrote:
I'm sure you've very capable. But, you have to put your fasting requirement before theirs. (And btw nearer the beginning you have to be more careful.) Ask your Rabbi...

I know you are 100% right, I am just scared of being stuck in bed all day with nothing to do... feeling horribly guilty that I should be in Shul or at least helping...

shluchamom

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
I know you are 100% right, I am just scared of being stuck in bed all day with nothing to do... feeling horribly guilty that I should be in Shul or at least helping...

The feeling guilty is your avoda on yom kippur. If going to shul will possibly cause you to get dehydrated and faint because you are pregnant or even if not pregnant than that's the wrong place for you to be and the guilt is inappropriate. Your primary focus on that day is fasting and taking care of yourself. Secondary to daven as much as you can even if it's at home. Third if you feel up to it and others are around you can help them.

But going to shul because you'll feel guilty and then fainting and needing to break your fast is misguided perspective. And don't worry about having nothing to do there's always more tehillim that can be said. Reading up about the kriah on yom kippur and the Avodah the kohanim did is always interesting reading appropriate for the day.

Good Luck

essie14

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:01 am
amother wrote:

Don't feel guilty. Your number one tafkid this year is taking care of yourself and your fetus. Not going to shul. Not babysitting other children. You cannot risk your pregnancy.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur