Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Dr harold levinson cure for dyslexia

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 2:30 pm
Has anyone ever gone to Dr levinson in great neck ny? He claims to be able to cure dyslexia but I'd like to hear if anyone has used him before I go.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 7:59 pm
amother wrote:
Has anyone ever gone to Dr levinson in great neck ny? He claims to be able to cure dyslexia but I'd like to hear if anyone has used him before I go.

The "cure" for dyslexia is the Orton Gillingham approach

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:17 pm
What methodology does he use?

SYA

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:31 pm
Orton Gillingan is a work around and not a cure.

There is currently no independent research proven cure for dyslexia.
There are only treatments which brings some level of functioning in reading. But there will always be some delays that will persist even in adulthood.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:34 pm
OP here. In a nutshell, he believes dyslexia is caused by an inner ear issue. The inner ear controls balance, so he uses a motion sickness medication (like Dramamine) to treat it. His website says that he has successfully treated 35,000 people.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has first hand experience.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 9:58 pm
SYA wrote:
Orton Gillingan is a work around and not a cure.

There is currently no independent research proven cure for dyslexia.
There are only treatments which brings some level of functioning in reading. But there will always be some delays that will persist even in adulthood.

Not true
Check out all the info there is on OG

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 10:14 pm
Sally Schaywitz, at Yale, is possibly one of the foremost researchers on dyslexia. She took MRI's of dyslexic kids reading, and saw that the neural pathways in their brains are, in fact, different than the neural pathways of non-dyslexic kids while reading. (Note: There is nothing *structurally* different in the brain of a dyslexic child; their brains are completely normal, and they are just as smart as anyone else!)

OG is essentially a program that teaches the rules of phonics. There are several programs that use the principles of OG, such as Lindamood-Bell and Wilson.

Back to Schaywitz. Some of these dyslexic children whose brains she MRI'd, then spent a year of intensive learning to read using an OG-based program. At the end of the year, she took a second MRI of their brains, and saw that the neural pathways had actually re-wired themselves, and now looked the same as non-dyslexic kids who read!

She discusses this in greater detail in her book.

Now this doesn't necessarily mean that the dyslexia is "cured", even though the child can definitely become a fluent reader. Personally I suspect that the dyslexia is caused by a language or auditory processing disorder to begin with, and therefore, anything related to language, such as word recall for instance, will always be a bit of a challenge.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 10:45 pm
No there is no cure. Dyslexia is a certain way the way the brain works. Dh has it and my minlaw tried everything and the biggest professionals told that to her. He just learned a way how to deal with it. Not great but good enough.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Sep 28 2016, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:
No there is no cure. Dyslexia is a certain way the way the brain works. Dh has it and my minlaw tried everything and the biggest professionals told that to her. He just learned a way how to deal with it. Not great but good enough.

So as Sally Schaywitz' research shows, it's about the neural connections, the neural pathways in the brain. Ie, which parts of the brain are used for different types of learning and associations. And it IS possible to train children to use different parts of their brain.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:24 am
Regrading the Shaywitz study, if a child would be tutored with orton gillingham for english, would that change his pathways and thus make her Hebrew reading better too? Or does Hebrew also need to be taught with the orton gillingham method?

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
Regrading the Shaywitz study, if a child would be tutored with orton gillingham for english, would that change his pathways and thus make her Hebrew reading better too? Or does Hebrew also need to be taught with the orton gillingham method?

Both need to be taught using the OG approach

seeker

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:03 pm
There may be a certain level of skills transfer because a lot of the issue is the concept of phonetic decoding and encoding (there's that auditory processing link), so once the brain is wiring that way it could make Hebrew smoother as well. But there's also the part where OG is a very effective approach for teaching people with this challenge, and in that respect it would definitely be advised to teach both using OG.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics