Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Has anyone tried this or any other Food Stacking gadget?

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 12:59 pm

https://www.thegrommet.com/creo

Has anyone tried this? Are the results acceptably neat when not done by professionals?

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 1:21 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Kuchenp.....+ring

after watching some of those youtubes ... this seems better quality [not that I would spend that amount]

what would happen if you just use a glass ? or an inexpensive round cookie cutter ?

https://www.amazon.com/Gaviro-.....round

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 2:14 pm
What about testing with a springform pan. It seems as though it would have the same principle where you layer, let set and then can remove the sides.

Mevater

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 3:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
What about testing with a springform pan. It seems as though it would have the same principle where you layer, let set and then can remove the sides.

Thats if u can find a springform pan thats about the width of a soup can, that I think these stacking gadgets are.

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:39 pm
Mevater wrote:
Thats if u can find a springform pan thats about the width of a soup can, that I think these stacking gadgets are.

I have seen mini springforms that size, I think probably at BB&B, but don't know if that's a regularly stocked item and don't know why it would be any better or cheaper than the plastic one posted.

Personally, I dislike any kitchen gadgets that have only a singular purpose. The presentation is nice, but I think layering into clear glass mini-trifle bowls (or similarly portioned clear glass dessert cups) would achieve a similar attractive look but have more use. Better yet do a large version in a large trifle bowl. Less patchke to do one large than many small.

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:19 pm
Wilton makes tiny springform pans that are available in craft stores. Better kitchen shops will sell bottomless rounds with rolled edges in a variety of sizes. I think I got four sizes and 4 in each size for about $20 a few decades ago. ETA: you can also buy mini clear plastic collars for baked goods online.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 8:41 pm
Why can't you just fold a sheet of heavy-duty foil so that it's several layers thick and stiff enough to stand alone, shape it around a soup can and use that? This food stacking craze is here today and will be gone tomorrow or the next day, and then you'll be stuck with a perfectly useless kitchen gadget. Of course you could always repurpose it into a nice bangle bracelet for your teen or mud pie maker for your preschooler.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 10:15 pm
zaq wrote:
Why can't you just fold a sheet of heavy-duty foil so that it's several layers thick and stiff enough to stand alone, shape it around a soup can and use that? This food stacking craze is here today and will be gone tomorrow or the next day, and then you'll be stuck with a perfectly useless kitchen gadget. Of course you could always repurpose it into a nice bangle bracelet for your teen or mud pie maker for your preschooler.

It's already considered old and tired in the professional culinary world.

Mevater

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 1:34 am
oliveoil wrote:
It's already considered old and tired in the professional culinary world.

Ok. So the fanciest catering halls are behind the times, because they served food in columns this month. It didnt taste that great, but it looked really nice.

Btw, what IS new in the professional culinary world?????

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 1:55 am
Mevater wrote:
Ok. So the fanciest catering halls are behind the times, because they served food in columns this month. It didnt taste that great, but it looked really nice.

Btw, what IS new in the professional culinary world?????

I'm not on the east coast but here on the Left Coast its seasonal farm to market foods, not lots of squiggles of sauces drawn on plates. (FWIW I haven't been to a catering hall in decades so I have no idea what the are passing off as 'new'.) Presentations are simple and often highlight the colors of the food. Many of us old time foodies are getting into sous vide preparation, since the equipment is becoming affordable and it's a type of slow cooking.(It is absolutely the best way to cook a brisket.) It's also perfectly suited for the catering industry.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics