Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
How to get 2 year old to take liquid medicine

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 4:42 pm
I need to get my 2 year old on antibiotics as per my doctor's instruction. It only comes in liquid form. My child refuses to take liquid medicine- we give him Tylenol suppositories if he ever needs Tylenol. How am I going to get him to drink this stuff?
The only way is for me and my husband to literally hold him down, despite his kicking and screaming, and force his mouth open and force the stuff inside... I feel like that is abuse...
I already tried bribing him by saying he will get a nosh if he drinks the medicine, but he said "yuck" and refuses to do so. He is very stubborn.
Help!

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 4:47 pm
I find with a slightly older child who also does not like taking certain medication its the me feeding it that becomes an issue. I sit next to him on the couch and let him put in his own mouth. I saw he took and he feels big that he did it himself.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:13 pm
Mix it with his favorite juice. Orange juice or grape juice work well.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:18 pm
Grape juice nutrilizes a lot of the taste
Just give her a little bit with themed after you can serve her as much as you want.
If you give her too much juice, she may only drink 1/2 and so only 1/2 the med.

Don't let him see you putting the med inside.

gibberish

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:28 pm
We mix with juice

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:33 pm
Alright, so he drinks on his own schedule. Meaning he can go almost a whole day without drinking, then he'll drink a whole sippy cup in middle of the night and another in the morning. Or he'll just take a few sips throughout the day. He usually drinks water and does not like drinking juice too much. So basically, these ideas won't work for him, because he won't for sure get all the meds in his system- he might not drink what I give him.
Any other ideas?

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:37 pm
Does a chewable exist? My kids think they are candy. Maybe that would go over better then liquid?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:40 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Does a chewable exist? My kids think they are candy. Maybe that would go over better then liquid?

Stupid me, I forgot to ask. Now I already paid the copay for the liquid and I don't want to pay for another one.

mha3484

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 5:43 pm
I learned how to swallow pills in early elementary school because I needed to take medication everyday. My mom got sick of playing hide the pill so I learned how to swallow pils around age 6 or 7. I think I was the only kid in the pediatrician office asking for the non liquid thats how gross I thought it was.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:09 pm
Would he drink chocolate milk as a special treat? Hide it in there.

cbg

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:22 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Would he drink chocolate milk as a special treat? Hide it in there.

Make sure that you can have milk with the antibiotic.
Some antibiotic specifically say NO MILK.

cm

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:26 pm
Would he sit still for you to use a syringe? Or even a medicine cup with a nipple attached (usually used for infants)?

I hear you about the copay. You could ask at the pharmacy if they make allowances for situations like this, in case you need to get a different formulation. Pharmacists also have many flavors available, and may give your son a choice. You mention this medicine only comes in a liquid, but perhaps there is a therapeutic equivalent that comes in different forms - pharmacists know these things.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 6:47 pm
I feel so stuck...

I already paid for the medicine (I was so overwhelmed that I didn't ask about a chewable or different flavors!) and no, he won't drink chocolate milk, soda or any other sweet drink. Not more than a few sips at a time. Although maybe I'll
Try fruit punch tomorrow.
For tonight we had to hold him down and I felt horrible, but I want him to be healthy and get better 😢

Rosemarie

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:00 pm
My 2 year old won't take chewable Tylenol either. Somehow he knows it's medicine not candy. For Tylenol I use suppositories. Don't know what I will do if he need antibiotics. I hate forcing it down his throat. And plenty dribbles out that way anyway. Am going to keep watching this thread for ideas

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:04 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
My 2 year old won't take chewable Tylenol either. Somehow he knows it's medicine not candy. For Tylenol I use suppositories. Don't know what I will do if he need antibiotics. I hate forcing it down his throat. And plenty dribbles out that way anyway. Am going to keep watching this thread for ideas

We also use suppositories. And I know he'd eat a chewable- he happily eats his two chewable vitamins every day, and looks forward to it. Wish I would have though of that idea in time.

yogabird

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 7:34 pm
Can you mix it into applesauce or yogurt? The type that comes in squeeze pouches works best IME.

abaker

Post Thu, Sep 29 2016, 9:51 pm
Before my 2 year old would take liquid from the little measuring cup I would use the syringe and just put it towards the inner cheek. Then give a sippy cup of juice to chase it. You can try all the fancy ways of hiding it but if all else fails and he needs the medicine you will just have to hold him down and get it in him. It's for his benefit not Chas v shalom abuse.

cinnabuns

Post Fri, Sep 30 2016, 12:40 am
I don't know how advanced your child is, but I've had success in actually sitting down and explaining to dc 'I know you don't like to take medicine and that it tastes yucky.. the problem is we have a boo boo that won't go away unless we take the medicine. Do you want mommy to give it to you or totty? Do you want juice before or after? '

From what I'm reading abt your baby, sounds strong willed and independent.. so play into it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics