Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
No stove on YT but want to heat soup

feigeleh

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:01 pm
I want to have soup for the second night - could be puréed type or broth type - anything really. But we can't leave the stove on. Any idea of soup I can heat on platta or in oven (will leave oven on 300ish).
???

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:09 pm
I think any soup, really. You can put it on enough ahead of time to get warm/hot, but not worry it will get ruined. Either the oven or plata would probably do.

feigeleh

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:15 pm
Thanks imasinger!
I'm worried it won't become hot enough like when I put chicken soup on platta without boiling it up first and it's ugh...I like soup piping hot.

imasinger

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:40 pm
OK, then go with the oven.

Water boils at 212, so if you leave the soup in a 300 oven, it will eventually reach boiling. Then, you could transfer it.

pgk

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:55 pm
I've been warming my soup in the oven for years and my oven is usually set at 225-250! Takes a little while but works like a charm.

sweetpotato

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 9:57 pm
The soup won't reach boiling temps in a 300 degree oven (I'm not exactly sure thermodynamically why, but something to do with the indirect heat and the liquid cooling the air and eventually evaporating). That said, the soup should heat up pretty well in the oven especially if you keep it well covered and stir occasionally.

Seas

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:20 pm
A few tea lights under the pot should do it. Place them on the stove.

sweetpotato

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:40 pm
Actually if you want to guarantee the soup will be boiling hot, get a sterno can and light it under the burner and put the pot on top

mamamia1

Post Sat, Oct 01 2016, 10:54 pm
Any ideas for someone with an electric stove top so no where to put tealighrs/ sterno can. - and have same issue heating soup...
- maybe I should start new thread!
TIA

pause

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:23 am
Seas wrote:
A few tea lights under the pot should do it. Place them on the stove.

Director Only do this if you want a fire in your oven.

newmommy22

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:19 am
Use a crockpot

kb

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:23 am
I've heated soup on a Plata. It works, but takes a while.

Personally, I'd skip the soup the second night with such an arrangement. But either day meal would work fine.

juggling

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:29 am
We have a portable electric burner, which we leave on for yt, on a timer. It's perfect for heating things up quickly.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:38 am
Keep in mind that you can't prepare for the second day of Y"T on the first day, so you can't put soup up to warm for the night meal until after zman hadlakos neiros. That doesn't leave much time before the men come home from shul. It might take less time if you increase the surface area of the soup in contact with the heat source, such as spreading the soup out into multiple pots or pans.

You can also AYLOR, but my rav has told me that I can warm up food to feed my children on Y"T afternoon and then leave it out so it's not cold from the fridge to start with for that night. In other words, it's not considered preparing for the next day if you use it that day as well. So you can heat up a whole pot of soup as long as someone will eat a bowl of it that afternoon, but you can't put it back on the heat source afterwards to keep warm for that night. It takes a lot less time to warm up from lukewarm or room temperature than it does from the fridge.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 9:34 am
If find that when I put chicken soup in a small aluminum pan on the plata, instead of in a pot, the soup heats through much faster. So I do that for the second night.

mfb

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 9:35 am
Because of the short time on the second yom tov night, I started putting my crock pot on a timer and warming up soup in there. It gets hotter than my hot plate and warms it up quicker.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen