Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
HELP I'm addicted to imamother!!!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:12 am
I am seriously addicted to this site! I keep coming on here to see if there is anything new every couple of minutes. I'm on this site for hours, and I have so much to do!!! I is taking over my life and I am neglecting my duties because of this. I stay up late just so that I can read the posts!!!! I want to fix this.... Any practical tips and advice for how I can control myself from coming here when I have so many other important things to do?

tf

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:18 am
I guess you don't enjoy everything else as much as this site. Correct? At some point I was the same. I made a commitment to STOP going on, and if I won't be able to, then to punish myself with cancelling Internet so I do what I must. Maybe it'll work for you too.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:18 am
1. Block the site and put up a password that your husband knows. Decide when you want to be on, and arrange for him to let you in then.

2. Ask yourself (as my husband asks me) "did I ever get anything worthwhile out of this site?" My answer is always no. It only makes me aware of all the pain in the world, agitated, and stressed. The only thing this site does for me is makes me feel less lonely than I am. Ask yourself if there is a need this site is filling for you. Then ask yourself if there is a healthier way to fill that need--talking to a friend, writing, listening to music...

pause

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:19 am
Ask your DH to download a free filter like K9 or use your existing one to block imamother. Have him change the password so that you and he each know a half of the password and cannot make changes without the other spouse.

After a week or two of not being able to access imamother, you will no longer need to. Keep away for a month or two. The longer you keep away, the longer it'll take for you to get addicted again when you come back.

It's very hard those first few days, but once you do it a bit, it gets easier. Good luck!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:46 am
Thanks for your replies. You're saying that I should block it so I don't have access, But I don't want to do that!! I enjoy this site so much, I cant imagine not coming on here any more. I usually come here whenI nurse my baby, so If I block it I won't have what to do..THe problem is that even after I nurse my baby I still stay glued to the computer. I want to stay on Imamother, but be able to control myself and stop when I need to.

RachaelLeah

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:47 am
Ditto what everyone else says, plus another idea - a commitment contract using www.beeminder.com - I love this site! Basically, it keeps track of your commitments and charges you money when you derail. I use it to stay on track with my goals. Now is a great time to turn over a new leaf - Shana Tova!

pause

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 12:48 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for your replies. You're saying that I should block it so I don't have access, But I don't want to do that!! I enjoy this site so much, I cant imagine not coming on here any more. I usually come here whenI nurse my baby, so If I block it I won't have what to do..THe problem is that even after I nurse my baby I still stay glued to the computer. I want to stay on Imamother, but be able to control myself and stop when I need to.

From experience: Only gonna work if you first quit completely for a while.

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 1:47 am
You can also get Covenent Eyes ( webchaver) and they have the ability to limit your internet usage to a certain amount of hours a week (you decide how many) then give the password to your partner who also gets a log and report of the sites you were on.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 2:18 am
Join the club!

I spend way too much time on Imamother also.

Disregard all the doomsday posts above. You don't need to quit cold turkey. You just need to limit your time a little. Try setting a timer and logging off when it rings. Or make yourself do something useful and then reward yourself with 10 minutes of Imamother. I was going to suggest 5 minutes, but let's be realistic.

If you're having trouble with these suggestions then try something like this: http://mashable.com/2012/01/03.....S7iqi

It's R"H tomorrow or later today rather. Make a New Year's resolution that you will spend less time on your computer and more time doing things and with people that matter.

Hatzlacha!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 2:37 am
amother wrote:
1. Block the site and put up a password that your husband knows. Decide when you want to be on, and arrange for him to let you in then.

Blocking the site does nothing. I've blocked the site and I'm on here right now posting. Proxy servers allow you to access any blocked site. That's why filters do not work.

sourstix

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 7:32 am
I'm also addicted some things I read here get me so upset that I don't come for some time and I feel good when I do that. And I ask myself is this thing gonna make me smarter? Did I learn something tangible?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 7:35 am
Usually when people depend on something in a way that it starts taking over their life, it's because they're using it to fill up something that's missing in their life, or to distract them from problems or things that are too painful to face.

The only way you can really stop being addicted to Imamother is if you work on whatever it is that is causing you to spend so much time here. What is at the root of it?

amother
Black

Post Sun, Oct 02 2016, 7:41 pm
amother wrote:
Usually when people depend on something in a way that it starts taking over their life, it's because they're using it to fill up something that's missing in their life, or to distract them from problems or things that are too painful to face.

The only way you can really stop being addicted to Imamother is if you work on whatever it is that is causing you to spend so much time here. What is at the root of it?

This is great advice. I have similar issues, and this is spot on for me.

OP, try something like this that blocks after a period of time. It helps for self-control.
http://www.proginosko.com/leechblock/

Shana tova from the almost-last time zone! Smile

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:54 am
amother wrote:

Thanks for responding. I thought about what you said, and I don't think there is anything missing from my life bh. I think I am just plain addicted...Imamother is just so much more fun than cleaning and organizing.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:59 am
Thank you everyone for your responses. From now on, I will try to only come on here when nursing my baby. As soon as my baby finishes eating I will go off the site. I am giving myself one week to try this out. If I don't stick to this plan, I am going to block this site. Signing off, till the next feeding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics