Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Velvet Robe
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:05 pm
When is the earliest you would start wearing a velvet robe - Labor day, Sukkos, depends on weather etc? I just got a stunning black velvet robe and I am inpatient to wear it embarrassed ... it's still way to early right? I am on the east coast in north america, btw.

SZ mother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:13 pm
I don't have a fancy robe, but I can imagine it's apropiate to wear one, WHENVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT????
If it's cold in your house, A/C on high, but if it's boiling, I think you wouldn't be so confortable....

PinkandYellow

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:17 pm
I am def going to start wearing mine on succos. right now we're in a heat wave so unless is cools by rh, I'm not going to be able to wear it then, but I'd love to, so if you could, I say- go for it.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:22 pm
I guess that depends if you want to be comfortable or you just want to show off your new stuff!

Crazy world! People wear heavy woolen, velvet...outfits on Rosh Hashana and succos even if its 95 degrees, and thin cotton, shorts on Pesach even if its snowing!! Rolling Eyes

Newsie

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:23 pm
If you want to wear it- and it's not too hot- who cares? Wear it!

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:37 pm
I usually wear my new robes by Succos (when I have them!) But it also tends not to be too hot by then.

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
I guess that depends if you want to be comfortable or you just want to show off your new stuff!

Crazy world! People wear heavy woolen, velvet...outfits on Rosh Hashana and succos even if its 95 degrees, and thin cotton, shorts on Pesach even if its snowing!! Rolling Eyes

Well, that wasn't too nice

This is the first nice robe that I bought since I got married 2.5 years ago. The first one was on major sale and wasn't that nice anyway. And it's not that I want to show it off (well to my husband if that counts as showing off Rolling Eyes ), it's just that I am home all day with a baby and it would be comfortable and pretty and shabbostic. Thanks for your helpful, sweet reply. Tongue Out

TammyTammy

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 3:21 pm
Much like the rule about wearing white after Labor Day, any rule regarding when to start wearing a velvet robe is bunk. Wear it whenever you want to -- don't worry about the date.

Tammy

amother

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Well, that wasn't too nice

This is the first nice robe that I bought since I got married 2.5 years ago. The first one was on major sale and wasn't that nice anyway. And it's not that I want to show it off (well to my husband if that counts as showing off Rolling Eyes ), it's just that I am home all day with a baby and it would be comfortable and pretty and shabbostic. Thanks for your helpful, sweet reply. Tongue Out

Sorry, I wasn't talking about you. Just in general I find it so weird to see people torturing themselves, strolling in the streets with their kids, dressed in woolen suits and its BOILING outside, just cause they have to show off their new wardrobe. Of course sometimes it IS cool on R"h and succos, but many times not.
So if you want to wear it in your house and your comfortable and cool, then go right ahead and enjoy! Very Happy

shlumzmum

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 6:05 pm
would be nice thing to say "shehecheyonu" on rosh hashono with a new robe

louche

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 7:09 pm
Don't ask me--I dress to suit the thermometer, not the calendar. A few weeks ago we had a cold spell and I wore velour Friday night. But as shlumzmom sez, with RH right around the corner, you may as well wait till then to break out the new threads.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Aug 27 2007, 7:26 pm
I've worn my beloved black velvet robe many Fri nites this steamy summer....
With the AC on, who cares what fabric it is?

Purplehair

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 3:59 pm
Wear it when you want to!

Raisin

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:05 pm
my only robe is black velvet and I've been wearing it throughout the summer, although I always wear clothes when people are around (besides my dh and kids) But even my shabbos clothes are quite wintery.

but then again, thanks to global warming, (gotta blame somebody,) northen europe missed out on summer this year. Quite literally I could count on my fingers the amount of days it did not rain.

most velvet is quite cool and comfy, especially in the evening when it's not so warm.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 6:23 pm
This year Succos may be over before it is cool enough to wear mine.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 8:24 pm
I wore one to my son's vach nacht, a few days before rosh hashana.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 9:31 pm
I don't think there is proper etiquette for this. wear what you're confortable in.

chen

Post Thu, Aug 30 2007, 10:04 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I don't think there is proper etiquette for this. .

I'm sure not. No one even pays attention to "straw hats, white hats and white shoes only between Memorial Day and Labor Day" any more. Tsk.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 31 2007, 10:02 am
chen wrote:
I'm sure not. No one even pays attention to "straw hats, white hats and white shoes only between Memorial Day and Labor Day" any more. Tsk.

That, yes. (Unless you are talking "winter white".) But a season for velvet?

sarahd

Post Sat, Sep 01 2007, 5:35 pm
chen wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
I don't think there is proper etiquette for this. .

Except me, I guess. Very Happy
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette