Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Eilat
1  2  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Oct 04 2016, 5:14 pm
Hi. We are thinking of going to Eilat for two days. Is it worth it? Is it a nice place to go? We love Miami and heard Eilat is nothing to compare. Can anyone tell me who has travelled around a bit? TIA

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:15 am
Eilat is beautiful and very resort-like. I dislike Miami very much. What are you looking for? I've been there many times.
I happen to love the Mediterranean beaches much more than Eilat but the water sports in Eilat are fabulous.

ora_43

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:31 am
Whether it's worth it depends how much you'll have to invest in getting to Eilat.

I think Eilat is very nice. If you're going at this time of year, the water will be too cold for swimming. But there are other things to do.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:28 am
Thanks for replies. Im highly pregnant and can't do the water sports, it's type of a final fling before I have the baby. We are coming in from Europe so flights are a bit of a pain cause there is nothing that does not involve a few hours of waiting, we have 4 days. I'm debating between Eilat or Waldorf Astoria in Jerusalem. Advantages of yerushalim is that we can eat in many more places then we can in Eilat and I can get shopping done, Down side is the running around and visitors obligations that are endless. Eilat is prob more relaxing but food will be an issue and not sure what there is to do if I can't do much in the water. Any advise appreciated. Also what would be the nicest hotel in Eilat to go to?

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:44 am
amother wrote:
Thanks for replies. Im highly pregnant and can't do the water sports, it's type of a final fling before I have the baby. We are coming in from Europe so flights are a bit of a pain cause there is nothing that does not involve a few hours of waiting, we have 4 days. I'm debating between Eilat or Waldorf Astoria in Jerusalem. Advantages of yerushalim is that we can eat in many more places then we can in Eilat and I can get shopping done, Down side is the running around and visitors obligations that are endless. Eilat is prob more relaxing but food will be an issue and not sure what there is to do if I can't do much in the water. Any advise appreciated. Also what would be the nicest hotel in Eilat to go to?

Queen of Sheba Hilton is one of the nicest hotels in Eilat. Check trip advisor for other options. There are plenty of restaurants in Eilat but if you're looking for elegant dining, Jerusalem is definitely a better option. If you just want to relax at the beach I would go to herziliya. The ritz Carlton is gorgeous but there are also other less expensive hotels that are nice. And there are beautiful elegant restaurants in herziliya as well.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:51 am
The one that looked the nicest is Herrods spa, but very expensive, dunno if its worth it. Don't need elegant food as much as has to be Mehadrin, we are yeshivish. Heard very nice things about the ritz Carlton in hertzliya, how would you compare Eilat to hertzliya?

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 4:12 am
amother wrote:
The one that looked the nicest is Herrods spa, but very expensive, dunno if its worth it. Don't need elegant food as much as has to be Mehadrin, we are yeshivish. Heard very nice things about the ritz Carlton in hertzliya, how would you compare Eilat to hertzliya?

I love herziliya. I think it has the most beautiful beaches. I wouldn't shlep all the way to Eilat if you can't do much and if you will have a hard time with food.
I know there is some mehadrin food in Eilat but I don't know exactly as I don't pay attention.
The tel aviv Hilton is also really really nice.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 4:46 am
Thanks a lot Essie. Would you recommend Tel aviv Hertzliya or Netanya for a two day stay? Any places have good shops or markets?

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:09 am
amother wrote:
Thanks a lot Essie. Would you recommend Tel aviv Hertzliya or Netanya for a two day stay? Any places have good shops or markets?

I don't know much about netanya. Never shopped in herziliya -- I just go for the beach. Tel aviv has tons of shopping and markets. What kind of shopping do you want to do? We love the namal (port) and there's also azrieli mall.

essie14

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:11 am
essie14 wrote:
I don't know much about netanya. Never shopped in herziliya -- I just go for the beach. Tel aviv has tons of shopping and markets. What kind of shopping do you want to do? We love the namal (port) and there's also azrieli mall.

I googled herziliya shopping and a bunch of results came up.

rovacat

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:34 am
I love Eilat. There is a mehadrin pizza place, cafe cafe, and a Chinese restaurant. Ice mall had the kosher places. Nothing elegant but definitely enough. Eilat has outlet malls. There is no tax there so shopping is much cheaper. You can always snorkel off the shore. Go to the aquarium, there's a wildlife safari nearby. Quiet beaches to sit on. Or you can get a quiet boat ride. There's plenty to do. It feels more exotic than tel Aviv or herziliya.

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 6:34 am
OP, none of the hotels you are referring to have mehadrin breakfasts. So if you're coming to eat and shop and can afford to stay at the Waldorf, that's your best bet.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 7:34 am
Personally, I find Eilat to be a bit dull, esp if I were not doing any water sports or hiking. I think there are infinitely more things to do and see in Jerusalem and the surrounding areas.

But, if you like lounging in fancy hotels then I suppose you can find one in Eilat just as easily as anywhere else. The scenery and beach are lovely.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 7:46 am
Thanks everyone for your replies, all are helpful. Regarding Waldorf eating and shopping, yeah, it would be the best, but downside is all the visiting obligations that are never ending and take up large chunks of time. The type of shopping we like to do is pictures or silver, markets and presents to bring back to kids. So is it worth going to Eilat for scenery, beach and vibe?

ora_43

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 10:55 am
Shopping for art or silver makes me think Jerusalem, Yafo, or Tzfat.

If you stay in Herzliya, Yafo would be a reasonable distance away for a day trip. Tel Aviv isn't known for kosher eating but IME it has more than enough kosher restaurants to fill 1-2 days' worth of meals.

ora_43

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 11:04 am
That said, Eilat does have enough kosher restaurants (even mehadrin AFAIK) that you'd have plenty of places to eat for just a 2-day trip. And a couple of malls, and an open-air market.

What to do - jeep tour of the desert, see a movie, aquarium, see dolphins, shop. I think there are botanical gardens too, but I've never been there.

chanchy123

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 1:10 pm
How about That, there are mehadrin restaurants in the city and area, lots of art galleries for shopping.

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:21 pm
How about Zichron Yaakov/Caesaria/general Carmel coast?

The Nir Etzion Hotel is Mehadrin.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 2:43 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies. All been very helpful. I think we will spend 2 days in hertzliya and 2 days in yerushalim. Might change my mind again, but that's what I'm thinking now. Zefas appeals to me too, but it's quite far.

heidi

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 3:08 pm
DrMom wrote:
How about Zichron Yaakov/Caesaria/general Carmel coast?

The Nir Etzion Hotel is Mehadrin.

I just heard on chag that Nir Etzion is no longer exclusively mehadrin. Worth checking it out if it's important to you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics