Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Losing weight during tishrei - possible?? tips!

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 6:35 am
So I'm desperate to lose weight (family simcha right after sukkos). Now if it was a regular month, I'd probably be able to work hard at it and lose about 2lb a week. I always find myself slacking a bit over Shabbos because its so much harder what with tempting food and kids home all day and no distractions etc. Well, yom tov is even harder! I have bochrim who want normal 'good' food and then I have absolutely no self control when everyone else is eating... euch. any tips!!!????
and please don't say 'don't bother' ... it feels awful to turn up at a family simcha feeling fat...

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 6:53 am
look up the 5:2 or fasting diet.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 6:59 am
3 day diet
Milatery diet
Scarsdale diet
Master cleanse
Cabbage soup diet

NOT HEALTHY NOT LONG LASTING

My recommendations get a dress that actually fits your size.

Work on sensible diet that will have long lasting weightloss.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 7:03 am
The best tip for the seudas is to tri to have only meat and vegetables. You can still have a normal meal, but with only a bite of challah and no potatoes and rice, you'll do a lot better.
Drink LOTS of water. That means avoiding all the sugary drinks your hosts will be putting out.
Eat in the afternoon of erev shabbos/yomtov. You don't want to go into a seuda starving.
Take afternoon walks.
Offer to bring a huge salad.
Obviously, avoid the rich's whip desserts.

I hope this helps.z

Liebs

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 7:30 am
Stay off flour and sugar.
Use spelt matzah.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 7:34 am
Hey. never heard of the fasting diet before. sounds like it would greatly suit my needs at this time. thanks for the suggestion. have you had success with it? has anyone?

DrMom

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
Hey. never heard of the fasting diet before. sounds like it would greatly suit my needs at this time. thanks for the suggestion. have you had success with it? has anyone?

You'll have to try it out today and in a few days from now, whether it suits you or not!

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 8:41 am
amother wrote:

I tried it for quite a while. I did lose some weight on it. My sister did it very successfully. I did not track what I was eating on the non fast days all that well so I think I tended to eat far too much.

You can always try it for a week. Today and yom kippur can be the 2 fast days lol, just make sure your after fast meal does not exceed 500 calories.

Google it, there are tons of resources, groups, fb groups dedicated to this diet.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 5:11 pm
Leave shul before kiddush, fill up on broth-based soup, seltzer and water, eat plenty of veggies with little or no salad dressing, limit yourself to one slice of challah and one SMALL piece of kuge per meal, skip dessert and have tea instead, and go for a brisk walk, 30 minutes or longer, or climb 30 flights of stairs if it rains, at least once a day. Sorry, dear, there's no quick and easy way, and starving yourself will only backfire when your metabolism slows down to adapt to the "famine".

Shuly

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 5:14 am
Soups and warm vegetables like roasted vegetables or vegetables in tomato sauce are very filling.
Eat only a kzayis of challah and don't eat any other carbs at the meal. Eat protein and warm vegetables (or a salad without sugar dressing) at every meal.
I made a big batch of ratatouille and froze it in zip lock bags to warm up on the blech over yom tov.

shevi82

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 7:16 am
this is what I am trying
1) no challah! a small piece of matza
2) At seudas- no starch like kugal, rice just protein and veggies
3) for yt and shabbos- making myself baked apples so have something sweet but no cake, desserts
4) exercise as much as I can

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 5:09 pm
If you think matzah is a low-calorie food, you're sadly mistaken. A board of matzah is about 110-120 calories, or as much as one large slice or two small slices of bread, and provides little nutrition because it's made from unenriched flour. No point choking down the matzah when you could have a slice of decent challah and actually get some oneg from it.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 5:12 pm
I think its easier to take a sheet of matzah and know exactly how many calories you are consuming. Homemade challah is much trickier. Its not that matzah is low calorie its just easier to measure.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 2:42 pm
I asked the rov halachically what I should do. He said to split up the courses - fish during the day and meat at night.

If your family clamors for other foods, make things you don't like!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Oct 23 2016, 4:40 pm
Hi - op here! Thank you so much to everyone who offered some good tips, I used quite a few of them. I was shaving off the weight and doing great until sukkos hit. It is REALLY hard. Hopefully will even out before our fam simcha... I especially liked the 5:2 diet, never heard of it before and really liked it!

Jewishmom8

Post Mon, Oct 24 2016, 4:16 pm
I am doing the whole 30
I really like it and was able to do it throughout all the chagim!
http://whole30.com/

israelgirl

Post Tue, Oct 25 2016, 6:13 am
Whole 30 lasted a week for me. I couldn't manage without dairy products.....good for you for holding out-I lost 8 lbs the first week of it.

Rosemarie

Post Tue, Oct 25 2016, 9:16 pm
Jewishmom8 wrote:
I am doing the whole 30
I really like it and was able to do it throughout all the chagim!
http://whole30.com/

How did you do hamotzi on shabbos and yom tov while doing whole30?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics