Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Anyone stop keeping cholov yisroel?
Previous  1  2

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 3:07 pm
amother wrote:
Can't imagine how one feels deprived sooo many cheeses yogurts ice cream flavors etc

I live in a big frum community (not in NY or Lakewood) and cannot get full fat plain yogurt, which toddlers NEED. They shouldn't be eating fat free or reduced fat yogurt as the fat is needed for neuron myelin sheath development. And I refuse to give my 1 year old sugary laden flavored stuff.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 4:00 pm
bisque- when I kept cholov yisroel I gave my toddler plain leben. I got the suggestion from another mother in the kosher store. I honestly don't understand why they don't sell plain full fat cholov yisroel yogurt- shouldn't be so hard to make!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 4:58 pm
I didn't read the whole thread, but to answer op question, my family never kept cy, I took it in myself after learning about it in hs. My husband and his family don't keep, so right before I got married, I did hataras nedarim. Was great bc in yichud room, broke our fast on all the cholov stam goodies Wink

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 5:08 pm
I keep CY and feel that the quality of many items is improving with time. I am in a large Midwestern city and regularly see new brands appear on my shelves. I grew up non kosher with foodie parents so I have what to compare it to. I give my kids the highest fat yogurt I can find which I think is 2% and make sure they get plenty of other healthy fats in their diets I think its good for them to not rely on one food.

Reality

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
just want to mention that some people who keep cholov yisroel say that cholov stam powdered milk is ok and I think also butter. A lot of junk food don't have "real" milk.

One of the rabbanim in my OOT community keeps it only for himself ( not his wife or kids) but he has a whole stash of dairy oud candy that he holds is fine.

I believe powdered milk can only be made from cows milk so it doesn't need to be chalav yisrael. I am not 100% sure about that one. Does anyone know for sure?

AS far as butter is concerned, our Rabbi told us salted butter does not need to be chalav yisrael. The only ingredients are cream and salt. Unsalted butter does have to be chalav yisrael because nowadays another ingredient is added to give a longer shelf life and that is a dairy ingredient.

I have stopped and started keeping chalav yisrael at different points in my life. As long as you took it upon yourself without a neder it is fine.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
bisque- when I kept cholov yisroel I gave my toddler plain leben. I got the suggestion from another mother in the kosher store. I honestly don't understand why it's impossible to buy cholov yisroel.

Leben isn't yogurt. Totally not the same. Lots more sugar... Not as healthy.
And depending on where you live it can be impossible! Not every frum yid lives in the tristate Rolling Eyes . Not every place a yid lives has a kosher market, especially one that sells cholov Yisroel.

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:44 pm
I don't keep CY. Too hard (almost nothing available) & too expensive where I live, since I live in a small community a 2-3 hour drive from a large Jewish community where CY is easy to get. Some of my relatives used to keep CY when they lived in NYC. But when they moved back to my city, they are no longer strict about CY because it's very difficult and not affordable.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 12:37 pm
I stopped but anyway I had gone completely OTD for a while. When I got back on the derech, I did not go back to keeping CY. It was just too hard with where I was living. Once I did a hattaras nedarim so I figured it probably covered that even though I never had made an actual neder to keep CY.

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 1:03 pm
"bisque- when I kept cholov yisroel I gave my toddler plain leben. I got the suggestion from another mother in the kosher store. I honestly don't understand why it's impossible to buy cholov yisroel."

I think my post wasn't clear- I meant why don't they sell plain cholov yisroel full fat yogurt!?!?!? I wasn't questioning you as a consumer but rather the companies! I'll go edit it now.

amother
Seashell

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 1:41 pm
It sound like many yogurt cosumers here on imamother would like choluv yisrael plain full fat yogurt. Why dont you all call the jewish yogurt companies and request it. (I can get numbers if anyone is interested) that is the problem with jewish companies. For non jewish companies people call them and leave a review online. I'm not saying they will make it today or tomorow but it does help to get your voice heard.

rfeig613

Post Tue, Oct 11 2016, 8:50 am
I keep it, but DH doesn't. In his case, he works a lot in non Jewish areas, and the only foods he can get in regular stores are often OU-D or pas paltar.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions