Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift ideas for 60 y.o mil

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 8:58 pm
My mil is turning 60. All my siblings in law want to pool together to get her something special as a gift. she's into personal things and is pretty easy to please so would appreciate anything, but I feel like photo collages/books have been overdone and am trying to think up a new way to present it... or something else entirely that is special and unique (and easy on prep time - its soonish...) Any ideas???

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 10:34 pm
I'm that age and really like jewelry and nice handbags. Personally, I like jewelry from museums or something different (Nachlat Benyamin).

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Oct 05 2016, 10:55 pm
A friend of mine from a very large family and her sibs chipped in and bought a (used) dining room table and chairs for 30 as a gift so everyone could sit together for shabbos meals.

a trip to EY can be very special, and can be planned for a special time or with special people (ie: sons, daughters, grandchildren, etc.)

a special poncho or shawl (cashmere?) to wear in shul when the air conditioning is high.

a silver tzedaka box

Each person writing or recording a personal story or note appreciating something about her can be very special. they can be bound with photos aka shutterfly or just handwritten and collected in a box.

happy birthday!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Oct 25 2018, 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 5:59 pm
You need to tell people something about your mil so they can reply meaningfully. See, a PP is into jewelry and handbags, which would be the next-to-last things I would appreciate. And I happen to be a 60-y/o mil. The only things I'd appreciate less are, I think, silverplated anything and anything purely decorative with no function; tchotchkies, iow. I would dearly love an album or framed collection of photos of my extended family, as our kids email us pix but nobody bothers sending prints.

Worry less about being original and creative--which makes the gift all about YOU--and more about getting something suited to your mil's preferences.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 7:50 pm
Me and my sisters took my 60 yr old mother out for the day. We got makeovers(sephora has free makeovers), went out for lunch, went to a Broadway show and then had a surprise party with everyone else, in a restaurant for lunch. It was a very special day and now years later we try and make a smaller version of that every year because she loved it soo much.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 8:00 pm
amother wrote:
My mil is turning 60. All my siblings in law want to pool together to get her something special as a gift. she's into personal things and is pretty easy to please so would appreciate anything, but I feel like photo collages/books have been overdone and am trying to think up a new way to present it... or something else entirely that is special and unique (and easy on prep time - its soonish...) Any ideas???

I would try to figure out what indulgence I could buy for her, that she wouldn't buy for herself, but would use and appreciate each time she took it out.
Long cashmere lined leather gloves.
Fur stole or scarf.
Mishpacha Magazine subscription.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics