Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Eating and sleeping of a 6 month old

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 12:35 am
Anyone else here have a 6 month old? What is the kid up to? I always wonder how much she needs to sleep and eat at this point

sky

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 3:08 pm
My baby is now about 7 months

Food:
She nurses about every 3 - 4 hours.
My dr recommended giving rice cereal and a fruit jar about once a day. Plus a multi-vitamin drop with iron.
My baby eats some cheerios while my other kids are eating breakfast to keep busy. I sometimes dice a banana with it. she works to pick it up. At 6 months was very hard for her and not too much got into her mouth. Now at 7 months she is better at it.
In the evening I give her a baby jar. Or sometimes diced vegetables from the soup. She eats the jars much better now than she did in the beginning.
I'll also sometimes give her some crust of bread.

Sleep - she is somewhat scheduled, but it changes daily. It doesn't always work like this but I think this is her basic schedule. Like sometimes the morning nap is split into 2 smaller naps.or the afternoon nap is just a cat nap. Its about 5 - 6 hours of naps.
I find the best trick is to get her in before she is too tired or overtired because then she has a harder time getting into a good sleep.

Wakes up: Approx 7am
Nap: approx 9:30 - 12:00 for about 2.5 - 3 hours.
Nap: 2:30 - 4:00 (and sometimes just an hour)
Bath: 6:30
Nap: 7:00 for about 1 hour
Night starts at about 10:00 pm - she wakes twice during the night for feedings.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 6:23 pm
BH I have a six month old and I can tell you that every baby is different! My baby is nothing like the baby described above.

In terms of sleep:
Baby's naps are random, usually one long nap (1-1.5 hours) and two shorter naps during the day, 30 min each, but baby's long nap could either be first, second or third.
Naps are usually around 9, 1, and 4.
Bedtime is 6:45 and wakeup is between 6:45 - 7 AM, with 1-2 wakings at night, but I am working hard to eliminate the night wakings.

I have worked on his sleep VERY hard since he was 3 months old, so B"H he's doing well in that area.

In terms of eating, I tried introducing baby food at 5 month (ped recommended 4-6) months, and he did NOT like it at all. Just recently, he started doing better with baby food, B"H.

I was told to feed him 1 time a day, 2-4 T of food, and to increase around 8-9 months.

Oh, and he is formula fed, so he's eating about 4-5 times a day, about 6-8 ounces per feeding (usually six, but I"m trying to get him to eat more so he'll sleep the whole night through).

But again... every baby is different!

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 7:19 pm
At six months my baby drank about 6-7 oz every 3-4 hours and had at least 8 oz solid food throughout the day. He takes two long naps and one catnap at about 5. My baby started crawling well at six months and slept 12 hours at night.
My baby's current sched (he is 8 months):
wake: 7, drink 6 oz, eat 4 oz, play
nap: 9-11, and drink 6 oz, eat 4 oz solid, play
nap: 12:30 or 1-about 3
Dinner at about 5, bottle and solid. Sometimes I give a bit more bottle at 7.
sometimes he will have a catnap at 5 for half an hour and then bedtime at 7, and sometimes he will not have a third nap and go to sleep at 6.

My oldest, on the other hand, nursed every hour at this age, never slept for more than 45 minutes straight--even in the night, and was a nightmare. I don't remember when I started solids with him and he didn't crawl until 10 months
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics