Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls' high schools Lakewood - positive posts only!
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 7:32 pm
We moved to Lakewood several years ago and my oldest daughter is in 8th grade. I am getting dizzy with the array of high schools here, and I just don't know where we should apply.
I'm specifically not mentioning the name of the school she's graduating from, because I want to be advised based on what type of person she is, not on "school status" or whatever.
My daughter is:
*A fantastic student B"H
*Miss "Goody Two Shoes", does as she is told with a smile. Absolutely no issues with authority
*Quiet and intellectual
*A bit nerdy, but in a likeable sort of way. Very NOT into clothing or fashion.
*Doesn't have a busy social life. She has a few close friends and seems happy. I would like her to go to a school where she will be encouraged to be involved in extra-curricular activities and broaden her horizons.

There ya have it! So, what do the Lakewood ladies recommend?

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 7:43 pm
I would say Oros or maybe Bais Yaakov. Oros is great for an intellectual girl, because they believe in having the girls work hard. I don't know about Oros as far as extra-curricular. Bais Yaakov is also on a higher level academically, but I don't believe they work nearly as hard as the Oros girls. I know Bais Yaakov has a lot of extra-curriculars, I don't know how good they are at making sure everyone's including, I'm not saying they're bad at it, just that I don't know.

Depending on where you stand hashkafically Bais Kaila could also work for you. For some subjects they're separated into easier and more difficult tracks, which works for the more intellectual side of her. While some girls are into clothes and fashion, I don't think the student body on a whole is like that. They are also very good at making sure that everyone is included in the extras.

Not bashing, but I would say not Shiras Devorah because they seem to be more into clothing and fashion. Not Bais Shaindel because they aren't on a high level academically, my very intellectual niece who went there was very bored.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 8:17 pm
glutenless wrote:
I would say Oros or maybe Bais Yaakov. Oros is great for an intellectual girl, because they believe in having the girls work hard. I don't know about Oros as far as extra-curricular. Bais Yaakov is also on a higher level academically, but I don't believe they work nearly as hard as the Oros girls. I know Bais Yaakov has a lot of extra-curriculars, I don't know how good they are at making sure everyone's including, I'm not saying they're bad at it, just that I don't know.

Depending on where you stand hashkafically Bais Kaila could also work for you. For some subjects they're separated into easier and more difficult tracks, which works for the more intellectual side of her. While some girls are into clothes and fashion, I don't think the student body on a whole is like that. They are also very good at making sure that everyone is included in the extras.

Not bashing, but I would say not Shiras Devorah because they seem to be more into clothing and fashion. Not Bais Shaindel because they aren't on a high level academically, my very intellectual niece who went there was very bored.

Thanks, this was very helpful!
I know Bais Kaila is one of the older high schools in Lakewood; what type of school is it hashkafically? I have no problem with my daughter attending a school that is somewhat more open-minded, as long as "open-minded" isn't a euphemism for "modern/bummy/girls with frumkeit struggles" etc.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks, this was very helpful!
I know Bais Kaila is one of the older high schools in Lakewood; what type of school is it hashkafically? I have no problem with my daughter attending a school that is somewhat more open-minded, as long as "open-minded" isn't a euphemism for "modern/bummy/girls with frumkeit struggles" etc.

Bais Kaila is more open-minded than the other schools, although even they are moving more to the right. The past few years they really tried to get a "frummer" crowd, but even before that they didn't really have "modern/bummy" girls. There were a few years when they had issues with groups of girls, as far as I know most girls weren't affected, it was specific groups, but that's why they are going slightly more to the right.

I feel like they're more relaxed about some things that other schools go crazy about, such as tznius. Even there they changed a little. They didn't used to talk about skirt lengths, just that the skirt should cover the knee, now they're more specific about how much below the knee and how much above the ankle, but I've never heard that they actually do anything about girls wearing long skirts.

Honestly, my girls have friends in all different schools, and they're not that different from each other.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 8:35 pm
glutenless wrote:

How long ago was this niece of yours in Bais Shaindel? It's scary how a school can get stuck with an image even when they have made great improvements in this area. In the past few years they have upped their curriculum tremendously, and have been able to measure significant improvements using specific data (I actually know this from a specific source in my work in continuing education).

I mention this, not to defend Bais Shaindel, as I have no personal stake there, but rather because from your description, it actually might be a pretty good fit.

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
How long ago was this niece of yours in Bais Shaindel? It's scary how a school can get stuck with an image even when they have made great improvements in this area. In the past few years they have upped their curriculum tremendously, and have been able to measure significant improvements using specific data (I actually know this from a specific source in my work in continuing education).

I mention this, not to defend Bais Shaindel, as I have no personal stake there, but rather because from your description, it actually might be a pretty good fit.

It was a couple of years ago, it's good to hear that they've changed. I still don't know if it sounds right for her if she's willing to go more open minded, but maybe.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:02 pm
I'm also looking into high schools this year it's scary how time flies.

Oros I spoke to parents there now and mothers told me that they didn't feel like the school encouraged girls to shine. If a girl was naturally outgoing and popular she did great but the quiet girls were sort of ignored. One mother I spoke to was upset bec she said that she spoke to Hanhala to include her daughter and make her shine and they still didn't.

Bais yaakov is an amazing school but really hard to get into. It's around for years well established and has amazing extra curiculars.

Bais Shaindel if you don't have real pull don't even bother applying. As far as I know the vaad doesn't consider it one of the schools to apply to because officially they only have to take you if you are a graduate of Bais Rivka Rochel. Bais Shaindel is more into tznius and middos I know from ninth graders who are there now.

Shiras Devorah is half academic and half fun. They spend a lot of money on extra curricular activities which is good for even smart girls.

I'm waiting to see where most of my daughters friends are going. Op where are her friends going?

debsey

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 10:27 pm
Depends how yeshivish you are. Based on your description, Oros or Meon Bnos Melech would work. Given that they are very different schools, I'd say you need to be a bit more specific.

Oros - very intellectual school, girls are a bit more trendy, more open minded parent body, fantastic teachers.

Meon Bnos Melech - small, new school, very warm, ultra yeshivish (you say she dresses "nerdy" I dk if you mean by hashkafah or due to cluelessness). If you fit in with the parent body (I'd say somewhere to the right of Bais Sheindel) and you want a lot of individual attention and caring, as well as a lot of room for her to shine and expand her horizons, this might make sense for you. But if you're not ultra yeshivish, it's not going to be a good fit.

Shiras Devorah - great school, great teachers, probably best extra-curriculars in Lakewood, tends to be a more challenging curriculum. Overall, there is some "gashmius pressure" there. The girls tend to dress well, it's more of an overall Boro Park/Hungarian crowd (obviously with many exceptions) There's a definite "type" and if you're a good, sincere, smart girl who fits that type, you'll do great.

Bais Kailah - caring administration, there are more challenging and less challenging academic options. It has the most diverse parent body, but has been moving more to the right in recent years. IMHO it's been getting better and better recently with several changes in their admission policy.

Bais Sheindel - very yesivhishe, old guard lakewood families. Not really worth talking about unless you're a legacy or have major pull. Not very challenging academically, lots of warmth and emphasis on hashkafah. Like Shiras Devorah, there's a definite "type."

Bais Yaakov - yeshivishe. More academically rigorous than Bais Shaindel. Lots of pressure to conform. Like Shiras Devorah, more of a pressure to conform, dress in a certain manner, many girls do dress extremely well. Like Shiras Devorah and Bais Sheindel, there's a definite "type."If you don't have major pull, don't bother trying to get in.

Bnos Bais Yakov - has had a bad name in the past. It is now under new, fantastic administration. Very likely to become the next desirable school in town, but that will take a little time. Probably easiest to get into, but my prediction is that it will change. Some really good teachers and a terrific new principal.

Yesodos - DK anything. Two new schools are supposed to be opening up next year. DK anything about them.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 11:42 pm
My daughter's closest friend hopes to go to Bais Shaindel, but that family is super super yeshivish - more so than most Lakewood families, I dare say.
Hashkafically we are normal, I hope. No internet, but I will allow my daughter to read a non-Jewish book that passes my screening (classics like Laura Ingalls Wilder, Anne of Green Gables, etc). She is not into fashion because she is clueless and it simply doesn't interest her (and frankly I'm the same way). I will sometimes put on a DVD for my younger kids like Thomas the Tank Engine. That's as bad as it gets.

amother
Violet

Post Thu, Oct 06 2016, 11:45 pm
There is a girls' high school that seems to be renting classroom space from Bais Rivka Rochel. I don't know what school it is, but something about the image they project - very long uniform skirts with sneakers, long dangly earrings, etc, something about that image says it's not a school for my daughter.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 12:40 am
Another question - just to get an idea of which "types"(?) end up where -
Girls graduating from Tiferes Chaya Sara and Ateres Tzipporah - which high schools do they go to, for the most part?
(My daughter is not in either of these schools, BTW).

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 1:54 am
A lot of ateres tziporah girls go to bnos bais yaakov

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 8:09 am
I think girls from those schools go to Bais kaila and bnos Bais yaakov.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 8:17 am
Yesodos bais yaakov is the new high school. Lots of great girls. Great administration. challanging classes. tHE LEnght of their uniform skirts are the same as the other schools. They all wear them long. (except for bais shaindel). But honestly its such a nice crowd, that we dont want the negative parents to come!!!

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 8:27 am
Where is the yesodos Bais yaakov I never even haeard of it? Is it notis high school that rents space in bnos Devorah? I know that landau's school rents space there and one high school what high school is that?

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 8:38 am
yesodos bais yaakov is mrs shwimmer school. They are renting by bais rivka rochel, ut will be moving to a diff location soon.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 9:20 am
When did yesodos Bais yaakov open up? What kind of school is it? What kind of crowd are they looking for?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 9:30 am
amother wrote:

DD goes to Bais Kaila. There is exactly 1 girl from each of those schools in her entire grade.

ETA: If you are looking for a place where your daughter will shine, then you need a smaller school. Schools like Oros, Bais Yaakov, Shiras Devorah and Bais Sheindel are very big, and if your daughter is not a "macher" personality, she will not likely be pulled out of her comfort zone in such a school. I've heard this from several people - relatives and neighbors who sent there and feel that their quieter daughters did not get so much recognition and a chance to shine because there are so many girls, and so much buzz going on. They have been happy with the schools for many other reasons, but not this one.

Smaller schools, depending on where you are Hashkafically, can make a difference there. Bais Kaila, on the more open-minded end of the spectrum, vs. Maon Bnos Melech on the more RW side, are both options where a more shy, less-materialistic girl can find her place and be brought out.

Last edited by Chayalle on Fri, Oct 07 2016, 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total

debsey

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 10:01 am
amother wrote:

Mostly Bnos Bais Yaakov (but that may change with the new administration) Yesodos, and one or two in other schools like Bais Kailah, Oros, etc.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Oct 07 2016, 10:08 am
amother wrote:

I have heard that the curriculum was "upped" but it is still not on the academic level of other local schools.

I see no one mentioned that Bnos Bais Yaakov is also considered to be highly academic, though I have no idea what direction the new administration will take this.
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics