Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls' high schools Lakewood - positive posts only!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 3:17 pm
amother wrote:
Ok thanks, it's very hard to know...a school could seem perfect on paper, but for a shyer girl coming into a class dominated by girls who already know each other...and everyone also keeps saying "send where your daughter has friends, ninth grade is enough of an adjustment"...but what if where her friends are going isn't the right fit for your daughter? It's such an important four years, it's really hard to know!
so I can only tell u about DD's experience. She wanted bais shaindel, and her core group of friends were all going there. She didn't get in. So she went to a school that was good on paper but she didn't know a lot of people. In that school, she only had "camp friends" and she did very well and was very happy. Had Meon been around then, it would have been a serious option for us because it's supposed to be similar to bais shaindel. As long as she has a friend or two in a school, it's enough to go there.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 9:08 pm
How hard is Bais Kaila to get into?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 10:06 pm
What about if you don't like where your dd friends are going?

Also what is the interview process like? What kind of questions are asked?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:34 am
amother wrote:
Yeah, I've heard that can be an issue because most girls are coming from Rebbetzin Sorotzkin's elementary school. What do you know about Bais Kaila and Bais Shaindel in terms of being open to friendships with any and all girls?

I think both of those schools get enough of an influx of girls from various schools, that it's not so hard to find your place, and find girls open to friendships.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jan 30 2017, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
How hard is Bais Kaila to get into?

That's a very subjective question. Depends if the applicant is someone the administration considers a good fit. It has become more competitive recently.....

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Feb 04 2017, 9:54 pm
Chayalle wrote:
That's a very subjective question. Depends if the applicant is someone the administration considers a good fit. It has become more competitive recently.....

Well that's true of all the schools. I'm saying if my daughter has BH a great report card, is totally tznius and compliant with authority, and has no issues other than being shy and satisfied with just a few friends, do I need to worry?

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 2:26 am
amother wrote:
Well that's true of all the schools. I'm saying if my daughter has BH a great report card, is totally tznius and compliant with authority, and has no issues other than being shy and satisfied with just a few friends, do I need to worry?

Yep....

If someone else has more pull or more $$$$
You and your daughter are TOAST

debsey

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 5:54 am
amother wrote:
probably not but there are other factors that come into play - does the school think she's a good fit? No one wants to set out to fail, so up there's any reason she's not a good fit - she won't be accepted. I disagree w natural mom above - Bais Kaila probably has the fairest admission policy in Lakewood. If she doesn't get in there, and she is as you described her, then it's a "good fit" or space issue. Do you need to worry? You're a Jewish mother and this is the Lakewood hs admissions process - you need to worry up till you get that acceptance letter!

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 8:32 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Yep....

If someone else has more pull or more $$$$
You and your daughter are TOAST

Naturalmom5, I know you have a chip on your shoulder about anything Lakewood-related, but I was looking for unbiased, factual answers.
Thank you Debsey.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 11:21 am
Bais kaila apparently got a lot of applicants this year so yes, there may be a space issue even if your daughter is a great girl, money and pull notwithstanding.

Are there any new high schools opening this year?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 05 2017, 12:33 pm
There are no new high schools opening and as per an owner of a high school there are two hundred high school girls who won't have a spot and that's with girls being forced to go to Yesodos and bnos Bais yaakov. They tried very hard for Bais yaakov d'rav Meir to open up but they didn't.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:04 am
What Debsey said.

Of all schools, I've never seen money to be a big factor with BK's acceptance policy.

imato5

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 8:28 am
you would be lucky to go to yesodos. People are NOT forced to go. Its an amazing school, with great teachers and great girls.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 9:46 am
amother wrote:
What about if you don't like where your dd friends are going?

Also what is the interview process like? What kind of questions are asked?

Some girls really need a fresh start for high school.....but the question to ask yourself is what is best for your DD.

Personally, I wished wished wished that my girls could've just continued to high school after 8th grade, with their entire class in BF. By eighth grade they had found themselves, were comfortable....it was hard for them to have to split up with everyone going to different places. My oldest DD had two really good friends, and all three of them went to different schools (B"H they stayed good friends, but it was really tough to split up.) I was sort of jealous of my friends who sent to Bais Rivka Rochel and Bais Tova, because their daughters pretty much moved up to high school with their friends, skipping the entire process.

The whole new-friends-new-school process is so hard on sensitive teens. If I had had the option, I would've skipped it. B"H they found their place, friends, etc..but it took time and was a process I would cheerfully have done without.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 9:56 am
There is nothing wrong with yesodos it's just more modern so for the right family. And I really don't want to get into an argument about it.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:02 am
imato5 wrote:
you would be lucky to go to yesodos. People are NOT forced to go. Its an amazing school, with great teachers and great girls.

I've heard that the atmosphere is incredibly warm, and the people running it are really special. Like all new schools, they will experience growing pains. People are afraid to send to a new school, for all the reasons anyone can think of - foremost being, will it remain open for the 4 years of high school, or will their daughter be in the unenviable position of having to find a new high school in the middle? It's also hard to get an idea of the type of girl that goes there, when it's so new.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 06 2017, 10:05 am
double post.

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 11:58 pm
When do the first round of acceptance/rejection letters go out? What happens after that?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 7:19 pm
Bump.... anyone?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 12 2017, 8:13 pm
Help
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics