Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Girls' high schools Lakewood - positive posts only!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
Another bisque do you mind saying which school called you for an Interview?

Bais Kaila

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:36 pm
This post is confusing I thought Bais kaila is doing interviews now and oros in a few weeks? Did I understand correctly?

Another bisque why does your daughter want to go to oros what makes her a good fit?

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
This post is confusing I thought Bais kaila is doing interviews now and oros in a few weeks? Did I understand correctly?

Another bisque why does your daughter want to go to oros what makes her a good fit?

BK started doing interviews. Oros in a few weeks.

She's not an out of the box kind of girl but she's not cookie cutter either. She isn't ritzy like some people have said SD and BY are. She's more down to earth and doesn't need brand name things. She's also very smart and would do well in an academic environment. She would do well where there is a healthy mix of girls to blend with and get along with. It seems oros is more like that than other schools. She's a very fine girl with amazing middos BH. Her teachers and principal rave over her BH BH. Not taking any credit for her amazingness it's all from Hashem for sure. 😄

debsey

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 10:20 pm
amother wrote:
BK started doing interviews. Oros in a few weeks.

She's not an out of the box kind of girl but she's not cookie cutter either. She isn't ritzy like some people have said SD and BY are. She's more down to earth and doesn't need brand name things. She's also very smart and would do well in an academic environment. She would do well where there is a healthy mix of girls to blend with and get along with. It seems oros is more like that than other schools. She's a very fine girl with amazing middos BH. Her teachers and principal rave over her BH BH. Not taking any credit for her amazingness it's all from Hashem for sure. 😄

Your best bet is asking the principal/8th grade teacher for their recommendations. They usually have their pulse on where girls will do well. Also, where are her friends and camp friends going? DD went to HS with mostly camp friends, and it was really great for her. As long as she has a "chevra" of a few girls in a school, it's enough to start off with. Strongly caution against sending to a school where she doesn't know anyone at all. 9th grade is enough of an adjustment already.

summer0808

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 11:10 pm
BY is interviewing siblings already. dont know about other applicants.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 11:14 pm
Heard Oros is on the ritzier side? And thought Bais Kaila has healthiest mix of girls... Confused...

debsey

Post Thu, Jan 26 2017, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Heard Oros is on the ritzier side? And thought Bais Kaila has healthiest mix of girls... Confused...

All schools have a mix. Oros is not necessarily on the ritzier side, although there are some ritzy girls there. Oros does attract a "two professional income couple" crowd (not entirely, but a significant percentage) so you might have some families with a bit more disposable income, but it's not ritzy in the way Shiras Devorah or even BY can be. It's the slightly more 'with-it', expensive clothes crowd vs. SD or BY the Hungarian "brand name or bust" crowd. But in all three schools, those kids are more a minority than not. BK also has their fair share of kids from wealthier homes. It's not as stratified as you seem to think it is.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 9:56 am
amother wrote:

I actually think Oros and BK have certain similarities (they also have certain differences). I remember when we had on interview with Oros with our oldest DD, Rabbi Birnbaum told us that Rabbi Shenki (with all due respect, I should learn how to spell out his name) helped him out tremendously with setting up Oros, and Oros principal was a main teacher in BK for many years. So there's a strong influence in the way the school runs, etc...

Oros is considered more academic - perhaps the most academic in all of Lakewood. We decided on BK because that would have been really rough on my oldest DD (there were other factors as well). My next DD is very academically inclined, and her principal suggested Oros as a choice for her, but we decided to keep our girls together (and she loves BK, B"H).

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 10:00 am
Thanks for clarifying

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 10:19 am
Anyone on here have a daughter in Meon Bnos Melech? Looking for more info regarding its being "new"... How is discipline standards, etc....?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 11:21 am
I don't know much though I have the utmost regard and respect for the principal, Mrs. Kestenbaum. I know her for many years and consider her to be extremely capable, plus she has some excellent mentors in the other schools in town to consult with (Mrs. Shechter from BY is her aunt...)

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 1:06 pm
Who is the principal of Oros? Did she teach in bais yaakov drav meir for many years?

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 1:14 pm
Mrs. Tamar (Rothschild) Epstein. Yes, and after BYDM she taught in BK before becoming principal of Oros.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 1:16 pm
She taught my daughters class and was fantastic. My daughter liked her a lot. Very deep teacher and also very good with teenagers. I am sure the girls in Oros must love her.

amother
Pink

Post Fri, Jan 27 2017, 1:41 pm
Does anyone know if Meon's students are considered warm? Are the girls friendly and b'achdus, or more competitive?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:35 pm
My neighbor sends to Meon. It does not seem like a competitive environment and the girls look like they are all good friends. But I'm pretty sure most of the girls have been together since Primary, so I don't know how comfortable outsiders fee.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:38 pm
Yeah, I've heard that can be an issue because most girls are coming from Rebbetzin Sorotzkin's elementary school. What do you know about Bais Kaila and Bais Shaindel in terms of being open to friendships with any and all girls?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:42 pm
does anyone know the reason the principal left BBY?

debsey

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:
My neighbor sends to Meon. It does not seem like a competitive environment and the girls look like they are all good friends. But I'm pretty sure most of the girls have been together since Primary, so I don't know how comfortable outsiders fee.
it's a very friendly, non competitive atmosphere. Seems that the newer girls are comfortable there. A relative of mine subbed there and was very impressed by the overall niceness of the girls.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 29 2017, 2:57 pm
Ok thanks, it's very hard to know...a school could seem perfect on paper, but for a shyer girl coming into a class dominated by girls who already know each other...and everyone also keeps saying "send where your daughter has friends, ninth grade is enough of an adjustment"...but what if where her friends are going isn't the right fit for your daughter? It's such an important four years, it's really hard to know!
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics